Skywarn freq.

Status
Not open for further replies.

coppensadam

what is the skywarn frequency for South Milwaukee, WI? I cannot find it anywhere. Help would be appreciated.

thanks
Adam

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
coppensadam said:
is one of the frequencies better than the others?

thanks
adam
Personally, I'd bet on these being used as primary channels:

152.37500 RM 141.3 PL Milwaukee Area Skywarn Association FM
153.35000 RM 146.2 PL Milwaukee Area Skywarn Association FM

Still program the others though, they might have a special use. ;)

cschmit

You can also add 146.91 (PL127.3) to your list of stations to listen to during sever weather. It is a local Ham repeater but they have weather nets every time bad weather hits SE Wisconsin and lot's of good info can be heard on their.

coppensadam

Cool! cschmit, I added that one too. I enjoy listening to the nets anyways. I think its alot of fun too. :)

Thanks
adam

cschmit

coppensadam said:
Cool! cschmit, I added that one too. I enjoy listening to the nets anyways. I think its alot of fun too. :)

Thanks
adam

I hear ya on that one. I participate in them if the weather get's bad enough where I am at.

coppensadam

cschmit, I am new to the scanning world, but would like to try out the trunking capabilities, but I don't really know of any trunked signals at or around Milwaukee, WI. I was wondering, if you could help me out with an easy one to program into my PRO-2051.

Thanks
Adam

cschmit

coppensadam said:
cschmit, I am new to the scanning world, but would like to try out the trunking capabilities, but I don't really know of any trunked signals at or around Milwaukee, WI. I was wondering, if you could help me out with an easy one to program into my PRO-2051.

Thanks
Adam

Best I can tell you is go to this page http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=254

Program in the frequencies from the Primary group and then find what PD you want to listen to and program in their trunk ID's. For Milwaukee I find West Allis and the Milwaukee Sherriff to have the most traffic. Hope this gives you a good start.

coppensadam

I would like to do just that. But is it as easy as entering the numbers in the scanner? I guess I don't know how to program my scanner to trunk. The manual that came with it, isn't very helpful. If I get to program trunk, and select the Motorola II, then what? do I type in every frequency from the primary bank in that order?

Thanks
Adam

cschmit

coppensadam said:
I would like to do just that. But is it as easy as entering the numbers in the scanner? I guess I don't know how to program my scanner to trunk. The manual that came with it, isn't very helpful. If I get to program trunk, and select the Motorola II, then what? do I type in every frequency from the primary bank in that order?

Thanks
Adam

I must admit I don't know anything about your scanner. I have a BCD-396T and I know how to program that one but not yours, sorry. You could ask in the Radio Shack thread here on the site. Someone in their may be able to help, sorry I can't.

OpSec

All your WACN are belong to us
Database Admin
cschmit said:
You can also add 146.910 MHz to your list of stations to listen to during sever weather. It is a local Ham repeater but they have weather nets every time bad weather hits SE Wisconsin and lot's of good info can be heard on there.

You should also have 145.130 MHz in the same scanner bank. This repeater is used as a collection point for reports from various local nets (like 6.910) by the NWS office in Sullivan. You can hear reports for most of SE WI on 5.130 , along with outgoing information from the NWS office.

145.130 is located near the lake, just north of downtown Milwaukee and is a "clear channel" system that covers all of SE WI, parts of SC and NE WI and some of NE IL near the border.

There is a small group of hams that respond to the NWS office when requested to gather severe weather reports. There are more resources used than 145.130, as NWS Sullivan's County Warning Area (CWA) covers 21 counties but the two repeaters listed are your best bet.

You can also program 147.270 MHz, which is the Racine and Kenosha County repeater used for severe weather nets. You may be able to hear that repeater from your location.

JGP

cschmit said:
You can also add 146.91 (PL127.3) to your list of stations to listen to during sever weather. It is a local Ham repeater but they have weather nets every time bad weather hits SE Wisconsin and lot's of good info can be heard on their.

You can also add 145.39 (PL127.3) to your list. The same group of people on 146.91 use this frequency from time to time.

RevGary

Pastor and Chaplain Responder
Had to turn the 11 element VHF beam to 171 degrees from our location to receive 145.130... but it was coming in up here in the north central part of the state on Thursday. Was not able to receive the signal using a 3db gain omni. What is their estimated ERP?

OpSec

Database Admin
RevGary said:
Had to turn the 11 element VHF beam to 171 degrees from our location to receive 145.130... but it was coming in up here in the north central part of the state on Thursday. Was not able to receive the signal using a 3db gain omni. What is their estimated ERP?

1000 watts ERP. Antenna is at 500 feet, commerical 4 bay dipole with the main lobe pointing due west.

Last edited:

biglaz

If you're looking for the Sullivan backbone frequencies that Stateboy talked about, these are the three, below. These are the relay frequencies that one or two relay stations from each couny would use to relay severe reports from their own nets to Sullivan.

Stateboy, are you sure their ERP is 1000w? I have no clue; but I do know the Wisconsin Association of Repeaters has ERP restrictions on their coordinated repeaters, which is based on HAAT but is always under 1000w. Not that it really matters, I suppose.

East (MKX E) – Primary and Backup
The East Backbone repeater is the 145.130 (N9LKH) repeater operated by the Milwaukee Area Amateur Repeater Society (MAARS), with a PL of 127.3. The backup Backbone frequency is the 146.820 (K9ABC) SEWFARS repeater, with a PL of 127.3.

Central (MKX C) – Primary and Backup
The Central Backbone repeater is the 147.36 (W9CRA) repeater operated by the Cambridge Area Repeater Association (CARA), with a PL of 123.0. The Central region does not have a backup frequency at this time, aside from the SIMPLEX Administrative Frequency of 147.480 PL 127.3.

West (MKX W) – Primary and Backup
The West Backbone repeater is the 146.685 (W9YT) repeater operated by the Badger Amateur Radio Society (BARS), with a PL of 123.0. The backup MKX W frequency is the 147.315 (WB9FDZ) Yellow Thunder Amateur Radio Club repeater, with a PL of 123.0.

Backup Simplex Frequency
A 2-meter simplex frequency is used as a backup for backbone operations in case of widespread repeater malfunction. The backup frequency for Sullivan Weather backbone operations is 147.480 with a PL of 127.3.

OpSec

Database Admin
biglaz said:
Stateboy, are you sure their ERP is 1000w? I have no clue; but I do know the Wisconsin Association of Repeaters has ERP restrictions on their coordinated repeaters, which is based on HAAT but is always under 1000w. Not that it really matters, I suppose.

Yes, I am. I was on the technical committee for several years, also served on the board for a bit. Between the actual RF output (~300w nominal) and 4 element folded dipole gain (minus feedline loss) the ERP works out to 1000w. The repeater power output was grandfathered into WAR's restrictions due to the lack of co-channel users within the specified radius for VHF repeaters. When the band is open, stations from western MI and northern IN check in quite a bit also.

When we rebuilt the machine in 2003, most everything was upgraded from 1970's technology but we still retained the "old school" high power /\/\ Micor final RF amplifier. It's run at about 75% capacity...no sense in running it full tilt and wearing it out. It is the best sounding machine in Milwaukee solely based on it's proven commercial LMR infrastructure. Even the average ham using off-the-shelf ham equipment sounds very good, but those of use that use commercial radios on the system sound the best because of the equipment compatibility (reverse burst, DOS, etc)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.