SDS100/SDS200: Small Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.

K2KOH

Silent Key
Joined
Jul 30, 2001
Messages
2,767
Reaction score
159
Location
Putnam County, NY
Well, I’ll be sending my SDS100 out AGAIN, this time because of Low USB Voltage in the car. The mini USB connector is loose inside the radio, Honestly, having these weak spots on a radio that’s damned near seven hundred bucks is absurd. I think Uniden should do the right thing, and replace these connectors for the first time. I go between low USB bus voltage to no GPS. Come on Uniden. Do better.
 

trentbob

Silent Key W3BUX
Joined
Feb 22, 2007
Messages
6,929
Reaction score
8,202
Location
Bucks County, PA
Well, I’ll be sending my SDS100 out AGAIN, this time because of Low USB Voltage in the car. The mini USB connector is loose inside the radio, Honestly, having these weak spots on a radio that’s damned near seven hundred bucks is absurd. I think Uniden should do the right thing, and replace these connectors for the first time. I go between low USB bus voltage to no GPS. Come on Uniden. Do better.
Make sure the USB source is 2 amps or better or use a cigarette lighter adapter that may work for you, also does your radio charge at home?

Also get a good quality micro USB cable and use the connector above the receptacle that says charge, that will be a power source without charging the radio. Always make sure the radio is off when you start the car.
 

hazrat8990

Active Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Apr 12, 2013
Messages
598
Reaction score
406
Location
Wyoming
I use these for everything now. Amazon.com : netdot gen10

They are super low profile and perform both charging, and data transfer. They are perfect for the Unication G series pagers since they allow you to still use the charger base. I initially bought them for the G5, but quickly realized I could use them for my SDS200, phone, hotspot, etc... I especially love having one on the SDS200 since I'm constantly making changes.
 
Last edited:

palmerjrusa

Member
Joined
Oct 22, 2005
Messages
1,387
Reaction score
966
Location
Frederick
I use these for everything now. Amazon.com : netdot gen10

They are super low profile and perform both charging, and data transfer. They are perfect for the Unication G series pagers since they allow you to use the charger base. I initially bought them for the G5, but quickly realized I could use them for my SDS200, phone, hotspot, etc... I especially love having one on the SDS200 since I'm constantly making changes.

Thanks for the tip, this is what I need😀...
 

tvengr

Well Known Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2019
Messages
12,134
Reaction score
5,395
Location
Baltimore County, MD
The SDS100 can overload some USB outputs if you charge the battery while operating the scanner. Go to Settings and Battery Options in the scanner menu. Scroll to Set Charge While On and set to Disable. That will reduce the current required from your USB output.
 

K2KOH

Silent Key
Joined
Jul 30, 2001
Messages
2,767
Reaction score
159
Location
Putnam County, NY
The SDS100 can overload some USB outputs if you charge the battery while operating the scanner. Go to Settings and Battery Options in the scanner menu. Scroll to Set Charge While On and set to Disable. That will reduce the current required from your USB output.
Yeah I usually turn charging off. It’s been acting weird lately with the Low USB Bus, plus GPS not connecting. A shame the GPS doesn’t cnnect through the micro USB rather than the mini
 

gary123

Member
Joined
Sep 11, 2002
Messages
3,192
Reaction score
1,633
Carefully clean the ports with an alcohol pad and a toothpick. Do the same on the cable ends. You'll be amazed how much crap comes out.
This is a common problem not only on the 436 scanners but often a lot of cellphones. Keep those connections clean and dry.
 

KK4JUG

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 13, 2014
Messages
4,689
Reaction score
3,486
Location
GA
Use magnetic connectors and the small part on the scanner can be left in place and you just pull the cable to detach the cable. It saves tear and wear on all your USB connectors.

/Ubbe
I use them on my phone, tablet, Nook...virtually everything that is charged on a regular basis. For the phone, I have one in the car, bedroom and office. I wouldn't be without them.
 

citiot

ʇoᴉʇᴉɔ
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Feb 8, 2007
Messages
139
Reaction score
89
I’ve never seen mini usb with magnet disconnect.
 

KK4JUG

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 13, 2014
Messages
4,689
Reaction score
3,486
Location
GA
You can also get them for "charge only" or data transfer and charge.
 

citiot

ʇoᴉʇᴉɔ
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Feb 8, 2007
Messages
139
Reaction score
89
Scroll up to posts 3 and 5 for links. They are awesome!
I looked at the links. None are mini usb. OP is specifying the one that charges, which is a mini.
iu
 

hazrat8990

Active Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Apr 12, 2013
Messages
598
Reaction score
406
Location
Wyoming
I looked at the links. None are mini usb. OP is specifying the one that charges, which is a mini.
My apologies, I do still use them for my 436HP, but totally spaced the fact that the magnetic tip is stuffed into a USB-C to Mini adapter. Still nice to have the cable just pop off instead of destroy the socket in the event of a mishap.
 

Unidener

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
May 28, 2012
Messages
426
Reaction score
90
Location
ENC
Yeah I usually turn charging off. It’s been acting weird lately with the Low USB Bus, plus GPS not connecting. A shame the GPS doesn’t cnnect through the micro USB rather than the mini
It even JUST a shame that there is a port for years that does nothing......
 

trentbob

Silent Key W3BUX
Joined
Feb 22, 2007
Messages
6,929
Reaction score
8,202
Location
Bucks County, PA
What the shame is the Designer of the SDS Scanners passed away. We are not sure but he had always stated that the SDS Scanners had several updates but passed away before any other details were released. I think Paul UPMan took the plans with him.
I agree with this, after the tax day firmware updates in the middle of April 2019, and Paul Opitz having increasing difficulties fighting his battle against cancer starting in May of 2019 we did not have any firmware updates for years.

He lost his battle late December of 2019, he worked on and off as long as he could but he had plans for features to unlock in the SDS 100 using the second port. That was 5 years ago, if anyone in Uniden were capable of doing it, they would have by now.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top