Smoke Smell Removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

gtaman

Tomorrow I will be picking up a used TRX-1 scanner from a local ham. I am told that the person I bought it from is a heavy smoker. I am looking on the internet for info on how to get the smoke smell out of electronics but most info is on big computers and not smaller items like handheld radios. Has anyone here had success in removing the smell from their scanners? What did you use? Best method? Any help is appreciated.

See if you can purchase a new key pad. On most radios I have gotten the smoke residue will reside in the key pad. A new keypad can do wonders plus sometimes you cannot get the yellow staining out of them.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
When I repaired consumer electronics for a living, we used a cleaner that seems to no longer be made, however SD-20 from Spartan Chemicals is very similar. The stuff we used did wonders on removing smoke residue from cases.

Danny37

I’ve used tea tree oil mixed with warm water before to wipe down electronics that came from a smoking environment. I’d do a spot check first cause that stuff is STRONG and can stain. However the smell is so strong but it will fade over time. Might have to do it several times if it’s really bad.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
When I repaired consumer electronics for a living, we used a cleaner that seems to no longer be made, however SD-20 from Spartan Chemicals is very similar. The stuff we used did wonders on removing smoke residue from cases.
Spartan Chemicals is still in business and SD-20 is available from many sources including Amazon.

Golay

When I detail a car that smells like a smoker had it, I put a couple of dryer sheets in it overnight. Does the job getting rid of the smell. Not sure how you could, or would it work for you. Maybe try a dryer sheet and the scanner in a zip-lock bag? Like I said, I've only done this with car interiors, so it may be a bad suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.