• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

So, is the BKR9000 really vapourware?

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
From the looks at the booth at IACP 2022 when they were informed EFJ's VP8000 had DMR's release date set and that Tait was working on adding DMR to the 9800...DMR was not a serious thought during development and it was chocked up to just rumors. Did I mention one of my friends over at BK quit the week after I told him EFJ and Tait would have DMR in their multiband radios?

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
About how long is it taking for the BKR9000 to ship at this point? I'm thinking of ordering one up.

First.PNG

Considering it's now May of 2024, I bet more than a few people are happy they didn't wait and bought something else. I guess it's out now, but the wait was killer.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
The common answer is "Six to Nine months" With all the options it not advantageous to order a radio.
If you mean Unication pagers, Uniden SDS scanners and the KNG P series radios then I'm quite familiar with the "options" as I have one of each. I'm more than a scanner hobbyist though not a user on any public safety system. Hopefully the shipping time decreases but I would not be in a hurry if the result was to have a quality radio like the BKR9000. If the BKR9000 is as advertised then I would be willing to recommend it and a dealer who is good to work with to those who ask.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
We were able to borrow a couple of demo units to test out locally.

6KApLob.jpeg

I will say the import/export feature in RES makes entering in talkgroups and UIDs/RIDs so easy!
That is one feature where BK beats Motorola hands down. No Pain in the azz UCL lists.
Looking forward to getting these radios out in the field and see how they perform!
Marshall KE4ZNR

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I was burnt in my youth (multiple times) for being an early adopter. Now, as an old man, I'm content to let others take the risk, because no matter how pretty the picture is, there can be "issues" that pop up in early runs, like cold solder joints, sub-par battery issues, etc.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
I was burnt in my youth (multiple times) for being an early adopter. Now, as an old man, I'm content to let others take the risk, because no matter how pretty the picture is, there can be "issues" that pop up in early runs, like cold solder joints, sub-par battery issues, etc.
Yeah I have had that happen too. Usually though the kinks get worked out and the device is still worth having for that time even with those issues.

APX6k

Premium Subscriber
They're nice looking radios, but the antennas seem much larger than the APX multi-band rubber ducks. Is anyone aware of an alternate/aftermarket antenna, perhaps with slightly less gain, but more reasonable in size? I get that a multiband is always going to be large to cover the VHF portion, but man, that thing is huge!

It looks like E/M Wave has a multiband option for the APX style SMA connector, but nothing else yet (EM-P92401-SF).

aglowgibbon

Premium Subscriber
They're nice looking radios, but the antennas seem much larger than the APX multi-band rubber ducks. Is anyone aware of an alternate/aftermarket antenna, perhaps with slightly less gain, but more reasonable in size? I get that a multiband is always going to be large to cover the VHF portion, but man, that thing is huge!

It looks like E/M Wave has a multiband option for the APX style SMA connector, but nothing else yet (EM-P92401-SF).

I have an E/M Wave, and I really like it. I will post an update testing it after my BKR 9K comes in.