• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

So, is the BKR9000 really vapourware?

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
We've got an order for BKR's that we sent to the factory in August; being told won't ship till February at the soonest. And that was after raising some stink to get the order expedited.
The Melbourne facility has been dealing with supply chain issues for a while now. I waited 3 months for a couple of batteries and some other accessories. Supply chain issues aside, they're usually good with turn-around times.

rsmith7799

We've got an order for BKR's that we sent to the factory in August; being told won't ship till February at the soonest. And that was after raising some stink to get the order expedited.
How many did you order of the BKR5000's? There were over 450 in stock ready for shipment.

rsmith7799

I'm sure they are 100% aware.
And that's the issue:

They either forgot to apply for Part 90 on 700MHz (unlikely, especially since the radio was designed to support it)
Or, they specifically didn't apply for it since they knew it wouldn't pass.

Either one of the two scenarios doesn't bode well. It's a major red flag. I'd have a hard time justifying purchasing any of those until the product is fully proven in the field. No way I'd want to be an early adopter. That sounds like a major headache in the making, and maybe an orphaned product line in the not too distant future.

This product has been on the roadmap for many years now. I was looking at it back at IWCE in 2018. They've been slow in getting this to market, meantime parts of their product line are faltering. Sounds like they are making a Hail Mary pass to try and get a piece of the pie that Kenwood/EFJ, Tait, Harris and Motorola already have a bite out of.

Industry competition has really ramped up, and BK seems like they are trying to run in a race that most others have already completed. They may finish the race, but no way they'll place this late in the game.
So, in response to one of you comments, BK wanted to make sure the 5000 and the 9000 weren't brought out too soon like the KNG's were. Lots of issues with the KNG, even though it was a great seller, it has it's "issues". Yes, late to the game but now that the early purchased APX's are coming to their end of life, the consumer now has to really look at the BKR9000 as a solid contender and at a better price point.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
the consumer now has to really look at the BKR9000 as a solid contender and at a better price point.

I agreed. Glad to see they got this out, finally.

I'm all for competition, and was recently in the market for multiband radios. Needed LTE capability, however or I would have absolutely considered these.

With Kenwood/EF Johnson in the game, as well as Tait, it's a good time to be in the market. Hopefully prices will continue to be driven down.

I agreed. Glad to see they got this out, finally.

I'm all for competition, and was recently in the market for multiband radios. Needed LTE capability, however or I would have absolutely considered these.

With Kenwood/EF Johnson in the game, as well as Tait, it's a good time to be in the market. Hopefully prices will continue to be driven down.
yup it's going hard now with smart connect and beon coming more in the market.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
I have sent in four requests for info from BK regarding the BKR9000 in the past month, via the website, seeking to connect with a rep, on my behalf of my Fire Service. So far I have received no response. The contact I had from when I originally was in contact with them years ago, at my previous department about the BKR9000 is no longer a valid email address.

Does anyone have a direct contact I can be in touch with?

TJX400

I agree a standardized solution would be preferred. Would likely have to be introduced by an update to the P25 standard.

AF1UD

Premium Subscriber
I've heard these have shipped and are in the hands of end users and/or dealers.

How are they? What are initial thoughts? I hear DMR is on the roadmap too, thinking about selling my XL-200P for it....

rsmith7799

How are they? What are initial thoughts? I hear DMR is on the roadmap too, thinking about selling my XL-200P for it....
Go to BK TECHNOLOGIES WORKING GROUP on Facebook. I do a review of the BKR9000. WE ARE A CONTENDER NOW!!!

mharris

Premium Subscriber

DMR? I've not heard that at all, very interesting.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
DMR? I've not heard that at all, very interesting.
That was the original rumor. As release got closer I asked a friend at BK about it during a trade show. He said no...then had a very concerned look when I told him EFJ (my employer at the time) and Tait had already announced to customers DMR for the hardware was on the way. My friend left BK shortly afterwards...