Solar Cycle 24 Has Begun!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexus

This latest news was posted on QRZ.com, and also covered in this week's Amateur Radio Newsline (arnewsline.org) This is very promising now. The scientists at NOAA and NASA have finally confirmed the start of Solar Cycle 24. For those of you who are not sure what that means, basically the number of sunspots dictate how the upper HF bands are going to propogate. The more sunspots, the better the propogation on the higher bands (21mhz and above) The solar cycle is for 11 years. 11 years of good propogation, followed by 11 years of poor propogation. We've been on the bottom end of Cycle 23 for the past couple of years, with it getting worse. This is why you never can hear anything on 27mhz or 28mhz any more.

But now, as of Jan 2008, we're fixing to begin the upswing. 11 years of improved propogation. They are suspecting by March 2008 things should begin. In another year or two we'll reach the PEAK where you'll be able to hear stations all over the world day and night on 10 meters using nothing more than a wet noodle! Talk to them too, if you're licensed to do so :) So those of you why are TECHNICIAN class only, get ready. Get yourself an HF, or a 10 meter only radio and be prepared to talk all over this globe on just a few watts of power and a piece of copper wire 17 feet long.

Here is the story from QRZ:

The Solar Influences Data analysis Center (SIDC) at the Royal Observatory of Belgium has said that Solar Cycle 24 has arrived.

In the SIDC Bulletin for 4th January they say:
http://sidc.oma.be/products/meu/index.php

No flaring activity is expected in the coming days.
Activegeomagnetic conditions (up to K=4) are expected over the weekend due to the influence of a recurrent coronal hole.

Catania solar observatory reports the presence of a high latitude sunspot group. MDI images show a bipolar structure.

This bipole is however the first of the new solar cycle which actually develops into a visible sunspot group.
Solar cycle 24 has arrived!

SIDC Products
http://www.sidc.be/products/

According to TV Technology magazine, the group most interested in the solar cycle is the scientists at NASA studying solar physics. They became excited when a knot of magnetism popped over the sun’s eastern limb back on December 11th.

Marshall Space Flight Center Solar Physicist David Hathaway calls this a good sign. He says that the knot may not look like much, but that patch of magnetism could be a sign that the next solar cycle has begun.

Hathaway explained that each new solar cycles always begins with a high-latitude, reversed polarity sunspot. Reversed polarity means a sunspot with an opposite magnetic polarity compared to sunspots from the previous solar cycle. High-latitude refers to the sun’s grid of latitude and longitude.

A NASA Science News release describes old cycle spots as those that tend to congregate near the sun’s equator. New cycle spots appear about 25 or 30 degrees higher in latitude.

The release says that many forecasters believe Solar Cycle 24 will peak in 2011 or 2012 and will be intense. These same Solar Cycle forecasters also say that more time is needed to see if this sunspot really is the start of Solar Cycle 24.

Hoping for some good D-X in the near future. I'm David Black, KB4KCH, at the South-East Bureau, in Birmingham, Alabama.

Amateur radio operators have been closely watching for the next Solar Cycle to start. Hams know that the increasing solar activity will lead to higher maximum usable frequencies and better High Frequency propagation. (NASA, TV Technology)

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
We've had many such 'false starts' in the past - one sunspot shows up with reversed polarity and everyone goes nuts (rather like mentioning the word 'snow' in a forecast in Maryland, hi). Don't get your hopes up too quickly. The last predictions I saw from the prognosticators say that the new cycle probably won't start in earnest until March.

Let's hope.....73s Mike

Jose_Pointero

Well I'm pretty excited about it! I got an FT-1000D a few months ago; and I'm about to get a 10/11 meter with a nice antenna for my car. All I need now is my license, which should happen in the next few weeks. I wasn't aware of the sun cycles until recently. Looks like I picked a pretty good time to start getting into radio :D

WA1CRZ

Its not 11 years of improving conditions. It an 11 year cycle where it oscillates up and down like a sine wave basically.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
It'll be a few years before it really takes off. In the meantime, this is a great time to play on 160 and 80 meters. And of you haven't tried it yet, conditions have been superb for NDB chasing.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Awsome News!

I am getting ready myself!
Although I already have the Extra class license, I havent really sunk my teeth into the real good bands like 80/160 meters. I am in the process of updating and upgrading all my equipment. I recently got rid of my FT-847 and will be purchasing a Kenwood TS-2000 for starters. Eventualy, I would love to get the IC-756 Pro-III. Oh boy, I can hardly wait to start playing again!.........

Manny

WA1CRZ

i just worked colorado on 17ssb
the bands are slowly coming around so thats good to see its like spring on radio frequencies

nexus

elk2370bruce said:
Things did sound a little better this morning. Worked a PZ5 on 17 meters on grey line) who was a solid five over.

PZ5YV heh. I've been trying to work him all week long. That DXpedition will end on the 11th of January. Consider yourself fortunate, because from where I sit he's been tough to work. I'm still trying though.

Status
Not open for further replies.