BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Sold my 436 Not Sure What Steps to Take

Status
Not open for further replies.

tj20

Should I delete the scanner from the 'myuniden' account? The person I sold it to wants the password, I don't want to release that. The scanner has the provoice and dmr upgrade. Will it mess up the upgrades (or future updates) for him if he tries to register it?

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Scanners can be registered multiple times in different accounts. The keys are only going to be in the account of the person who purchased them. But, there is no need for the keys once they are entered into the scanner.

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
Upman, the keys are not so much linked to the scanner as they are specifically created using the serial number...correct? That would mean the key will remain valid until the end of time, as long as it was entered into the scanner with the serial number it was created for.

Paul

JamesO

All bets are off if the logic board is replaced in the scanner. The key(s) WILL need to be re-entered. I had to re-enter the key into my 436HP after it was sent in for the clock back up battery repair.

So at a MINIMUM you should provide the key(s) to the buyer of the scanner.

Uniden should also have a way to provide the key to an additional purchaser of the scanner if needed, they should have a way to cross check by the serial number that one or more keys were generated.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If we replace the logic board, we reflash the board with the original serial number. Correct that the keys have to be re-entered, but we can generate them manually for repair serviced items. Agree that providing the keys to the buyer would be a good safeguard (and might save some time/manpower if there is a main logic board failure).

JamesO

Might be best just to have the Service Department to re-enter the upgrade key(s) before the item is returned? Surely they have some database they can look at the item to see what features were purchased?

How about the Service Department actually being a Service Department and entering the key (s) before the item is returned from repair? Not sure if this is really too much to ask from a "Service Department". Granted it is not a major issue, however, my 536HP did not need the DMR key re-entered, but my 436HP did and I was unaware that my 436HP needed the key re-entered until about 2 weeks after I received the radio back from repair.

Kind of like GOOD auto repair shops saving the vehicle and radio programming when the car is in the shop for a repair that might delete the programming and restoring the settings before they return the vehicle to the customer.

These key issue is new with the exception of the HP 1/2 Extreme Upgrade so maybe the Service Department should consider this as something that needs to be addressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.