Someones jamming Yemen/Saudi's 11935khz

DXerPaulAK

Question: if they knew they were being jammed wouldn't they just broadcast on another frequency? Maybe one near by?

I don't know much about RF jamming, but I'm willing to bet that it's quite broad over a segment of the band, no?

And if they had a fault, why wouldsnt they fix it?
It's Iran jamming them

DXerPaulAK

I think it is generally a bad idea to compare CVs online. In this case I will say, I do have some professional experience in the field of RF.

I can think of several technical issues that can cause this kind of problem. At the most basic level, if you look at this signal, you will see that the carrier is unstable. There are a number of things that can cause this, but my money would be on an unlocked reference source or unstable oscillator in a basic RF generation stage. Something at the RF level, pre-modulator and pre-audio.

T!

that being said.. why oh why, going back to the buzzing on 11860.. and this odd nosie on 11935.. would they let it go on for a year or more if it was a transmitter or associated fault and not fix it?

Token

It appears that as of 1300 UTC, 30 Oct, 2024, they have fixed the transmitter on 11935 khz. Before 1300z the frequency is covered by CRI, so I generally cannot hear it well locally before that time, and am not sure exactly what time things changed. I have been doing daily I/Q recordings of that freq area since slightly before this thread started, and yesterday, for the first time in weeks that I have seen, the chirps were gone and Yemen Radio has a steady carrier present.

The current Yemen Radio carrier freq is ~11934.89 kHz, so they are a tad low.

T!

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
I wonder if the complaints from here made it to an engineers ears to encourage them to fix their system.

:D

Thanks
Joel