SDS100/SDS200: SDS100 Receive problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

chill30240

Premium Subscriber
In Dec of 2018 I bought a Uniden Bearcat SDS100. The radio worked flawlessly until I guess the last 2 months. I didn't really pay attention to it mainly because what I listened to didn't have a problem. I started traveling in the last month or so for work and that's where I noticed it. What I thought was a weak signal barely breaking the squelch was in fact the noisy reception I have now. I drove from Atlanta GA to Princeton WV on Thursday and it was more pronounced than ever. I didn't hardly receive anything at all. I used my GPS and the full database and on previous trips that worked perfectly. When I got to Bristol, VA I thought that I haven't heard a peep from this thing in the last hour. So I normally switch to the weather channels and nothing there either. Well it was intermittent. The signal bars would be a full set for about 10 seconds and then drop completely out. The transmitter is on top of Holston Mtn and can be heard for at least 30 miles. That's when I heard the minute crackling-popping sound. One channel sounded like it was off frequency. I was tired and didn't really want to mess with it until today. I noticed that a strong signal is clear as a bell but still no signal bars. When I look at the analyzer it will show Q and A normally but will not show S. I cutoff all my quick keys so that it wouldn't have anything to scan and there is that crackling-popping again. It never used to do that. The unit has not been dropped or abused in anyway. I have recorded a video and put it on my drive for anyone to see what its doing. I will probably have to sent it back to Uniden for repair but I would like some input as to what may be happening.

Thanks

chill30240

Premium Subscriber
You might consider going to Jon Wienkes webpage as he does CSJ repairs at a $50 rate and seems to be doing a much better job than Unidens repair shop. Jon Wienke

/Ubbe
Yes I think I will send it to him. I like his work a whole lot better than Uniden. I was hoping that my unit wasn't one of the ones affected by the CSJ monster. . . .oh well.

chill30240

Premium Subscriber
Well I sent my SDS to Jon on Friday morning he should have it by Tuesday is what the USPS receipt says. I pray I can get it back by the end of the month. I called him last Monday morning and described the problem and it sounded like CSJ. After seeing the mess that Uniden does with their soldering work, I told him he was the only one that would let work on it. He does excellent work.

w4esp

Listening to the video for a few minutes, sounds like an IF issue, did you try it on AM or Wide FM? That might isolate the problem, CSJ is a good chance, or a capacitor going south, is my guess. I could not see the signal meter was the signal meter reading strong?

73' Tom W4ESP

chill30240

Premium Subscriber
No RSSI readings at all. When I was driving to work from GA it hardly worked at all. I scanned for weather channels and it locked in on one I did notice that the signal was 5 bars and about every 10 seconds it would drop out then come back.

chill30240

Premium Subscriber
Either way if its not a CSJ right now he can check that part out and fix any loose pins that might be present and not presenting a problem right now.

MStep

Either way if its not a CSJ right now he can check that part out and fix any loose pins that might be present and not presenting a problem right now.

I'm sure John will do a good job for you. For any others who are new to the SDS100, which seems to have a periodic problematic cold soldier joint issue, one would be likely to assume that you know your local weather channel and can test your radio for reception there first. The SDS is also likely not your first scanner, so you might also be familiar with the strength of signals in your area as you receive them on other radios.

I'm wondering if anyone has a handle on the percentage of radios that leave the Uniden factory with the issue already there, and what percentage of SDS100's might develop the problem after they have been put through use "in the field" for a while?

chill30240

Premium Subscriber
No it's not my first. I've been in this hobby since the early 70's and sometimes I miss my Bearcat 3. As far as the weather channel goes, I was driving thru Bristol, VA. I worked there a while back and the transmitter there can be heard for at least 30 miles away. It came and went just like a CSJ, but who knows I might be another monster that has bitten my radio. :(

MStep

No it's not my first. I've been in this hobby since the early 70's and sometimes I miss my Bearcat 3. As far as the weather channel goes, I was driving thru Bristol, VA. I worked there a while back and the transmitter there can be heard for at least 30 miles away. It came and went just like a CSJ, but who knows I might be another monster that has bitten my radio. :(

John seems to be the resident expert with the SDS100. In any event, once you get your radio back, I'm sure he will tell you what the issue was. Would be great if you would report back here with the results so that we all may benefit for your experience. Thanks.

tvengr

Well Known Member
Did you try changing the antenna? The antenna could be defective. The center pin on the antenna connector (on the antenna itself) could be pushed in or broken off.

chill30240

Premium Subscriber
John seems to be the resident expert with the SDS100. In any event, once you get your radio back, I'm sure he will tell you what the issue was. Would be great if you would report back here with the results so that we all may benefit for your experience. Thanks.
I sure will. You can count on that.

chill30240

Premium Subscriber
Did you try changing the antenna? The antenna could be defective. The center pin on the antenna connector (on the antenna itself) could be pushed in or broken off.
I have one of John's BNC adapters on it so the center pin is not affected in that manner. I use two different antennas my mobile in the car and Diamond in the hotel room when I travel. The results is the same regardless.

Fro68

Mine did the same. I sent it to Uniden and they repaired it and had it back to me within 2 weeks. The internal antenna connection had failed.

Ubbe

The scanners that Jon have looked at has the circuit board pulling on the antenna connectors soldering and could break after a long time of use.

/Ubbe

darkness975

Latrodectus
Premium Subscriber
I hope I don't have this issue. I don't think it's a guarantee that this will happen to all units ... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.