sort order when editing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minus1

Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2011
Messages
175
Reaction score
18
Location
UK
I'm very disappointed that the BCD536HP appears to have little support for sorting Favourite Lists, Systems, Depts data into an useful order when editing.

My UBC3500XLT (European equivalent of BC346XT) sorts systems automatically by Quick Key. Simple and effective.

My BCT15X doesn't sort anything, but at least you can quickly edit systems and groups by entering the Quick Key.

I am in the UK so the RR database is virtually useless, and everything has to be input manually; but the same problem must affect US users who want to input extra data manually.

• Favourite Lists are not sorted.
• Systems are not sorted.
• Depts are however automatically sorted by Number Tag, so somebody gets it :)

Not providing any kind of sorting means you just end up with an unmanageable mess, which makes it tedious to find anything.

Please can a future firmware update provide proper sorting?

An option to sort Favourites, Systems, Depts by either Name or Quick Key or Number Tag, would be awesome.
 

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Joined
Jan 4, 2009
Messages
8,108
Reaction score
200
Location
Grove City, OH (A Bearcat not a Buckeye)
I use FreeScan to sort systems in my 15, 15X, 396XT, and 996XT. You can sort by quick key or alphabetically ( and there may be a 3rd, I am not near my shack ATT ).

Do you program manually or using software? If manually you *may be able to download your memory into the Sentinel software, edit it, and upload it back to the scanner.

* I do not have any Sentinel experience yet.
 

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Joined
Jul 18, 2014
Messages
13,409
Reaction score
3,729
Location
VA
I'm very disappointed that the BCD536HP appears to have little support for sorting Favourite Lists, Systems, Depts data into an useful order when editing.

Not true. In the Favorite List editor, (the window that pops up when you right-click on a FL and select Program Favorite List) there is a Sort button (A over Z) that lets you sort by channel name, frequency, and many other options.

You can change the order Favorite Lists are displayed by Edit \ Sort Favorite Lists in the main menu.

Both sort options let you sort by up to 3 columns, ascending or descending.
 

Minus1

Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2011
Messages
175
Reaction score
18
Location
UK
Not true. In the Favorite List editor, (the window that pops up when you right-click on a FL and select Program Favorite List) there is a Sort button (A over Z) that lets you sort by channel name, frequency, and many other options.

You can change the order Favorite Lists are displayed by Edit \ Sort Favorite Lists in the main menu.

Both sort options let you sort by up to 3 columns, ascending or descending.

That's presumably in Sentinel.

No use at all if you haven't got Sentinel (I have a mac and whilst a 'Wine' version of Sentinel was working before Yosemite, it isn't now).

Also no help if you are not connected to your computer.
 

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Joined
Jul 18, 2014
Messages
13,409
Reaction score
3,729
Location
VA
Yes, that's in Sentinel. Which you need to update firmware and program the scanner with any semblance of user-friendliness. Sentinel's hardware requirements are pretty minimal; if you can't get it to run on your mac, get a used netbook and use that for programming. They're cheap, and will save you a lot of hassle.
 

Emoney250

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
176
Reaction score
16
Location
Redding
sorting favorites

the BDDx36HP software (download link I got on RR website free) has sorting favorites capabilities. Click "edit" at top of page, then "sort favorites list"....................works great!
 

Minus1

Member
Joined
Aug 14, 2011
Messages
175
Reaction score
18
Location
UK
Having now got Sentinel working on my mac via a Wine/Crossover wrapper, I am able to sort Favorite lists. but Sentinel makes a poor job of sorting many things. Favorite lists without a quick key are sorted and placed BEFORE those with a quick key, not after as I want.
Sorting by name is unintelligent and disastrous, it puts '4 …' between '39 …' and '40 …' not between '3 …' and '5 …'!
I end up having to sort individual items manually.
 

Voyager

Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2002
Messages
12,058
Reaction score
53
Having now got Sentinel working on my mac via a Wine/Crossover wrapper, I am able to sort Favorite lists. but Sentinel makes a poor job of sorting many things. Favorite lists without a quick key are sorted and placed BEFORE those with a quick key, not after as I want.
Sorting by name is unintelligent and disastrous, it puts '4 …' between '39 …' and '40 …' not between '3 …' and '5 …'!
I end up having to sort individual items manually.

Change "4" to "04" and it will work. Even if you don't want to see "04", you can change it back after the sort.
 

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Joined
Jul 18, 2014
Messages
13,409
Reaction score
3,729
Location
VA
I am able to sort Favorite lists. but Sentinel makes a poor job of sorting many things. Favorite lists without a quick key are sorted and placed BEFORE those with a quick key, not after as I want.
Sorting by name is unintelligent and disastrous, it puts '4 …' between '39 …' and '40 …' not between '3 …' and '5 …'!

You're doing it wrong.

If you want to sort by quick key, sort by quick key number, not FL name. Leave the quick key out of the FL name, and sort by key number, then name.

When you put numbers in a text field, you will ALWAYS get the sorting results you describe, regardless of platform, OS, or application.

As I mentioned before, you can do a 3-level sort, and choose what field you want for each sort level. You're not getting the results you want because you're not using the tools you have effectively.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top