Splitter Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

btritch

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 27, 2006
Messages
1,981
Reaction score
38
I have a dual DVR system in my home, the second TV is so far from the first that the little UHF antenna doesn't work well. I had saw one before with a Diplexer hooked to the tv2 out and the antenna out and had it run into one cable then the antenna on the other side and hooked into a regular splitter on the other end and extended the antenna, However when I tried that with the diplexer I ordered that says TV VHF on one side and SAT on the other, The antenna wouldn't work or it would and the picture was scrambled. Do I need another diplexer on the other end to unscramble it and make it work or do I just need a DUAL VHF in instead of SAT VHF...Anyone experienced with this, Any Suggestions, Ideas, Fixes?
Thanks.
Brian
 

prcguy

Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2006
Messages
18,957
Reaction score
15,422
Location
So Cal - Richardson, TX - Tewksbury, MA
You generally use 2 diplexers, one where you combine the sat and TV antenna signals and another at each TV to separate the sat and TV signals. If there is no DVR at one end you can usually do away with the diplexer but the satellite signals in the 950-1450 range can sometimes cause problems with the TV tuner.

Then there is the DirecTV Slimline Ka/Ku antenna. If you have this there will be satellite signals ranging from 250 MHZ on up inside the cable which will interfere with VHF/UHF TV signals and you cannot diplex in the TV antenna very easily.

If you have this system and HD DVRs you will also have "B-band converters" at each DVR input. This thing translates the 250-750MHz DirecTV signals to the 1650-2150MHz range because the DVR tuner can't receive below 950MHz. In this case you can locate the B-band converter at the dish or output of the multiswitch if you have one and then diplex in your TV antenna after the B-band converter.

Or, if you have DirecTV HD you can also get a SWM dish, which does not use the 250-750MHz range and also uses simple TV splitters instead of a multiswitch to distribute the satellite signals. The SWM system also uses one cable to each DVR instead of two and you should be able to diplex the TV antenna signals with this system.
prcguy
 

btritch

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 27, 2006
Messages
1,981
Reaction score
38
That's what I figured, I only ordered one diplexer, I went back and ordered another one yesterday, I hope that works, I have a dual DVR and I need to hook the antenna and video feeds together and then seperate them again when I get to the other end, From what you're saying, Another Diplexer should do it. I've seen it done before but I guess I missed the fact it had two on it.. Thanks
 

prcguy

Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2006
Messages
18,957
Reaction score
15,422
Location
So Cal - Richardson, TX - Tewksbury, MA
What satellite service do you have?
prcguy
That's what I figured, I only ordered one diplexer, I went back and ordered another one yesterday, I hope that works, I have a dual DVR and I need to hook the antenna and video feeds together and then seperate them again when I get to the other end, From what you're saying, Another Diplexer should do it. I've seen it done before but I guess I missed the fact it had two on it.. Thanks
 

btritch

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 27, 2006
Messages
1,981
Reaction score
38
Dish Network, With A Dual DVR 522 Reciever, Same as the 625 HD
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top