Springfield Police - How is this online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andyishere

So if the City of Springfield is using Provoice, how is there a feed of them online under Clark Co?

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9780; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.600 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

DSD, or a provoice radio set up to monitor the system. Provoice is monitorable, but the options to allow you to listen are limited to one of those two methods.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
So is it legal? Could we get in trouble for listening to it on the site?

No, as with any live audio feed, as long as your not using what you hear to commit a crime, you are fine.
Of course any local or state laws could make it illegal but no more so than listening to an actual scanner would be if that were the case.
I'm not familiar with Ohio law regarding scanner monitoring.

Last edited:

andyishere

Okay! Just making sure I won't get in trouble for listening. I don't think my lazy self will be committing a criminal anytime soon. Thanks!

vinzep491

Am I the only one that thinks it is highly unwise to broadcast a DSDed Provoice feed?

It's like provoking the powers to turn on PV's version of ENC.

One of the reasons an agency may move to "unmonitorable" formats, such as Provoice, is to keep out listeners. Providing that feed is the same as standing there and stucking your tounge out at them.

If they think no one can hear them, but you are one of the lucky few that can, why go in front of the spotlight.

The fact that feeds are online for analog or non-ENC systems is enough to push many agencies to upgrade.. But that is another debate all together.

The fact is that these people believe NOONE, NO WAY, can listen to them. Keep it that way. Sorry for the rant, this just makes me so mad. Our hobby is slipping away bit by bit.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Am I the only one that thinks it is highly unwise to broadcast a DSDed Provoice feed?

It's like provoking the powers to turn on PV's version of ENC.

One of the reasons an agency may move to "unmonitorable" formats, such as Provoice, is to keep out listeners. Providing that feed is the same as standing there and stucking your tounge out at them.

If they think no one can hear them, but you are one of the lucky few that can, why go in front of the spotlight.

The fact that feeds are online for analog or non-ENC systems is enough to push many agencies to upgrade.. But that is another debate all together.

The fact is that these people believe NOONE, NO WAY, can listen to them. Keep it that way. Sorry for the rant, this just makes me so mad. Our hobby is slipping away bit by bit.

I do agree with this and I also feel that the practice of live streaming the audio is doing great harm to our long loved hobby regardless if it is Provoice or just regular old analog comms.
I really do not see how that in itself is even legal.
The old law implied that it was against the law to repeat anything heard on a scanner and you could not discuss what you heard with anyone unless you were a part of the reception with those you were discussing it with. How it is all of a sudden legal to re-broadcast over the internet is beyond me. I'm surprised the lawmakers have not closed this loophole.

As far as the OP's question, I see no reason he would be breaking any laws unless there are scanner laws on the books in his state prohibiting such action. Those laws would apply regardless if it was a ProVoice transmission or not. As far as the OP goes, enjoy it while you can as it may go away.
With that said, is Provoice open source or could those that hold the rights to it go after someone for decoding it? I would not advise the OP to go around and blast his cell phone (or whatever device he is using to capture the audio stream) so loud as to draw attention too himself. I would not even suggest doing that with normal in the clear comms.
There is a nut around here that goes around with a scanner (or two) on his belt and he has it at full volume. Store owners have told him to turn it down or off on many occasions. That type of behavior is certainly uncalled for. I've only seen this person once but my nephew has seen him many times. It makes me wonder if this person has all his ducks in a row.

bigbud42010

im streaming it and if your gonna complain about it im going to take it down. i would not be streaming it if it was illegal believe me i looked up everything i could about decoding and streaming Provoice perfectly legal

SCPD

QRT
provoice

I for one am tickled to death to hear it. Yet as I wonder why the city went to such great lengths a few years ago to hush everything up is beyond me. There was no logical reason to go to such a sytem and now that someone has basically beaten them at their own game......
Good got you but I would limit any conversation thus the powers that be find a way to shut you down. I provide the feed for Clark County and truly appreciate what he has done, not condemn him for having the guts to do it.

vinzep491

To the last post --

Its not a matter of "having the guts to stream it".

Its a matter of standing under the spotlight, practically taunting the authorities.

Good for him that he can decode.. why ruin it in the long run once the propper powers in the department realize it and take measures to cut of the DSD loophole.

SCPD

QRT
provoice

maybe guts was the wrong word. I personally am appalled that authority feels it can abuse its power by using a system that is unmonitorable. That taxpayer dollars are used to hide what is going on.My job in the city pays tax dollars that allow this sytem to me unmonitored. Why if fire unmonitorable? What security risk is there/ Encrypt Police unblock fire. Yet look at Columbus, Dayton and other big cities, they dont feel the need to hide all that is said yet Springfield leaders did when they went this route They screwed all the taxpayer and neighborhood watch people. They could have gone with a trunked sytem that would have ben difficult not impossible for a scanner to get.. As for the hobby, the old days are gone and technology has made it that way. Example, why does OSP feel the need to encrypt air speed enforcement? Why didnt the newspaper get on our side and propose a campaign to make our leaders hve a signal in the clear.They , the power of the press have done nothing to make what the city did as news that was reported. And the fact that no radio failure has happened forcing an immediate need for backup is spectacular in itself. And the old VHF UHF is gone!!The system doesnt sound good when you listen to it and portables are muffled. Seems with all the money they spent, could have bought a better system, one for neighborhood watch to allow neighbors to be informed, other surrounding fire and police department to know when a big event happened and if needed go to a secure channel when the need to broadcast sensitive info, not do it all the time. If he takes it down it will be missed and Id like to know step by step how he did it so I can listen myself.
As Gary Burbank at WLW used to say, Your right to know supercedes your right to exist.

pogbobo

quick question, is the stream provider actually using DSD? or just a provoice capable radio?

I was under the impression that the act of compiling/using DSD was violating some patent held by DVSI ....

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
quick question, is the stream provider actually using DSD? or just a provoice capable radio?

I was under the impression that the act of compiling/using DSD was violating some patent held by DVSI ....

It's the mbelib part of it that seems to be a possible problem.
It is explained in the wiki Digital Speech Decoder (software package) - The RadioReference Wiki

I thought I read that the stream provider was using DSD but I could be mistaken as I cannot locate what I thought I remembered.
I only listened to the stream for a few minutes but it sounded great during my short listen. I've had DSD sound as good but I could only test on some DMR and P25 signals as we have no ProVoice systems here that I'm aware of. I've also never tried the Windows version.

Status
Not open for further replies.