SPVM Airlines ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirk23

Pierrefonds (West Island Montreal) Qc Canada
Pete..
The SPCUM actually had 2 helicopters.. Both rented from helicraft in St.Hubert with civilian pilots but police officer observer.

VICTOR 50 was a Bell 47 bubble type

VICTOR 51 was a Hughes 500. ( painted in colors like the Magnum P.I. helicopter) i have pics of Victor 51 and will post them tomorrow.

Both helicopters used to use the roof top helipad on top of the old H.Q. at 750 Bonsecours and did regular patrols and assisted in pursuits and "Hot Calls" like bank robberys.

Victor 50 was lost in the "Back River" Riviere des Prairies over an Easter Weekend in thr mid 70's.. They went lower to investigate something in the water but caught an updraft and flipped the copter into the water.. Minor injuries but the copter was old and never replaced.
Victor 51 stayed in service for many years after.
After that they would get CJAD's copter to assist from time to time

Now the SPVM sometimes rents a copter the odd time something is going on.. Fewer and fewer times. Or the ask the S.Q. to supply theirs.

Last edited:

plaws

Premium Subscriber
After that they would get CJAD's copter to assist from time to time

Stuff I never knew! They must have gotten rid of the 2nd unit by the time I was aware of things (and certainly before my first scanner in '82).

Leckner was famous for operating "half-duplex" between 162.33 (CJAD's channel) and 167.01 (SQ Metro). He talked to them regularly. :) "Rick au Metro". (why I remember trivia like this is a mystery!)

You know, it's funny, but SPCUM could have really made a big difference if they'd done like the Maryland State Police and trained their observer as a paramedic (I think MD called theirs "Aviation Trauma Technicians") and outfitted the aircraft for medivac. They might have even gotten Quebec City to kick in a few bucks. SPCUM ran the ground ambulances, after all.

Of course, Quebec City had zero interest in EMS and there were no paramedics in QC in the 1970s, and other than graduates of Dawson's rogue training program, not many EMTs. Had to wait for legislation calling all ambulance staff "paramedics" regardless of training level for Paramedics to appear in QC.:lol:

But that's a completely different, long, and stupid story! :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.