Squelch problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N0IU

Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2009
Messages
802
Reaction score
2
Location
Wentzville, Missouri
I just became a feed provider! I knew I could find a good use for that old (30 years!) Regency K100 scanner. I am feeding it from the speaker output to the line in on the sound card on my old Dell Optiplex GX110 running XP Pro. (I new I could find a good use for that old "slow" computer I wasn't using any more!).

The issue, if it is an issue at all, is that even when the squelch on the radio is set high enough, the audio output is still not totally silent so I am constantly sending data to the server. It is not an open ground, but more like a low level hiss.

So the question is, is there a way to set a threshold level on the sound card so that it is not constantly sending data to the server unless there is actually anything "meaningful" coming from the scanner?

I am feeding the Wentzville Police Department at: St. Charles County, Missouri (MO) Live Police, Fire, and EMS Scanners on RadioReference.com

Thanks!
 

GordonE

Scanner Radio App Developer
Feed Provider
Joined
Dec 18, 2002
Messages
584
Reaction score
69
The software on the PC that sends the audio to the server will *always* be sending data to the audio server (at a rate of 2Kbytes per second) regardless of what the noise level is, even if there's no audio present at all.
 

N0IU

Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2009
Messages
802
Reaction score
2
Location
Wentzville, Missouri
OK, that clears things up, but mine is cooking along at about 15-16 Kbps and didn't know if there was a way to reduce that. Its not causing a problem, just something I was curious about.
 

GordonE

Scanner Radio App Developer
Feed Provider
Joined
Dec 18, 2002
Messages
584
Reaction score
69
OK, that clears things up, but mine is cooking along at about 15-16 Kbps and didn't know if there was a way to reduce that. Its not causing a problem, just something I was curious about.
Nope, that's normal (16Kbps = 16K bits per second = 2K bytes per second).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top