Squelch Setting high or low

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron351

Feed Provider
Just a quick simple question. What is better for the squelch setting? I have tried it high, low, and middle. All seems to be the same.

ScannerSK

It's all personal preference. If you are trying to monitor weak conventional signals then you want the squelch set so weak signals are received. If you only monitor strong signals, then you want the squelch set so weaker signals are not received.

When it comes to digital signals the squelch setting may make little difference as the decoding is processed by the CPU.

Shawn

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
There have been some posts suggesting that a squelch setting of 2 can be helpful for simulcast trunked systems, which I believe si applicable for Cleveland.

For what its worth at any rate.

majoco

Stirrer
"A squelch setting of 2" - what radio? What modulation?

Turn the squelch control anti-clockwise (usually) until you hear the hiss, then go back up again until the hiss stops. This is the most sensitive point. If you are troubled with weak stations that you don't want, turn it up a bit more until you get it just right for you, it's whatever floats yer boat!

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Depends if scanner or two way radio. Most two way radios have a manual squelch turned by a knob [although more seem to be a menu item]. Plus they also have a RF squelch which can also be set usually by number from "off" up to 15 in some cases. So the higher the number the stronger the signal must be to break the squelch. and if you have the RF squelch and a knob of course this would increase the amount of signal required to break the squelch. The scanner I have, has a squelch setting [can't seem to find it right now] but I have it set as low as I could without noise breaking the squelch then set 1 number higher [No 2 is what I use but this may vary according to floor noise or scanner]. This is on Uniden scanners. As well, scanners and some two way radios, especially HF ones, may have an attenuator setting. I always have this set to "off". Usually in the city I have the squelch knob set to almost 80%, but when I am out in the country, I will turn it down to about 30%. But again this all depends on the noise floor and other noise being generated in the area.

ron351

Feed Provider
It's all personal preference. If you are trying to monitor weak conventional signals then you want the squelch set so weak signals are received. If you only monitor strong signals, then you want the squelch set so weaker signals are not received.

When it comes to digital signals the squelch setting may make little difference as the decoding is processed by the CPU.

Shawn

Thank you Shawn

ron351

Feed Provider
There have been some posts suggesting that a squelch setting of 2 can be helpful for simulcast trunked systems, which I believe si applicable for Cleveland.

For what its worth at any rate.

I dont have any weak signals but will try the #2 setting tomorrow Thank You

ron351

Feed Provider
Depends if scanner or two way radio. Most two way radios have a manual squelch turned by a knob [although more seem to be a menu item]. Plus they also have a RF squelch which can also be set usually by number from "off" up to 15 in some cases. So the higher the number the stronger the signal must be to break the squelch. and if you have the RF squelch and a knob of course this would increase the amount of signal required to break the squelch. The scanner I have, has a squelch setting [can't seem to find it right now] but I have it set as low as I could without noise breaking the squelch then set 1 number higher [No 2 is what I use but this may vary according to floor noise or scanner]. This is on Uniden scanners. As well, scanners and some two way radios, especially HF ones, may have an attenuator setting. I always have this set to "off". Usually in the city I have the squelch knob set to almost 80%, but when I am out in the country, I will turn it down to about 30%. But again this all depends on the noise floor and other noise being generated in the area.

I am using the hand held now and another also said here that 2 is a good setting so will try that a while. It didnt seem to make a difference if low or all the way up. It goes up to 15. I have to push Function then push down on the volume then squelch shows and then turn to adjust on mine

ron351

Feed Provider

Turn the squelch control anti-clockwise (usually) until you hear the hiss, then go back up again until the hiss stops. This is the most sensitive point. If you are troubled with weak stations that you don't want, turn it up a bit more until you get it just right for you, it's whatever floats yer boat!

Uniden BCD325P2 is the hand held I am using I attached both pictures of what I have

Attachments

• 20170114_222306.jpg
    20170114_222306.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 2,312
  • s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 2,277

ron351

Feed Provider

I get no hiss all the way down or all the way up. I had a old scanner many years ago and it hissed and I would turn it up till just under the hiss noise. This one dont hiss at all

Status
Not open for further replies.