SSL ERROR

Status
Not open for further replies.

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
I am using WIN7 and Firefox.
For the past several days when I try to login to RR, my computer has a Hissy Fit, wont connect to RR, and throws up an ERROR MESSAGE page:

SSL ERROR BAD CERT DOMAIN

I just click ACCEPT THE RISK and I get connected to RR.

I don't know if the problem is at my computer or Firefox, or at RR.

mwjones

Premium Subscriber
I can confirm its Firefox. It appears RR has a new security certificate (issued April 29), and while Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge don't complain, Internet Explorer and Firefox do if I type in "radioreference.com".

From the looks of things, the new certificate is a "Wildcard" certificate, meaning it is good for www.radioreference.com, forums.radioreference.com, etc. And while it is expected older browsers (like Internet Explorer) would complain, it appears that Firefox has a long standing issue with handling "Wildcard" certificates (the bug tracker is full of complaints).

I did find that if I point Firefox to "https://www.radioreference.com" the error will not come up and all works normally.

OpenCarrier

I can confirm its Firefox. It appears RR has a new security certificate (issued April 29), and while Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge don't complain, Internet Explorer and Firefox do if I type in "radioreference.com".

From the looks of things, the new certificate is a "Wildcard" certificate, meaning it is good for www.radioreference.com, forums.radioreference.com, etc. And while it is expected older browsers (like Internet Explorer) would complain, it appears that Firefox has a long standing issue with handling "Wildcard" certificates (the bug tracker is full of complaints).

I did find that if I point Firefox to "https://www.radioreference.com" the error will not come up and all works normally.
Firefox is so unstable these days....It EATS memory like candy even on a GOOD system. It whines about every certificate.....

a417

Firefox is so unstable these days....It EATS memory like candy even on a GOOD system. It whines about every certificate.....
It's still better on average than Chrome, and if it didn't whine about "...every certificate..." and someone MiTM'd you and stole info, you'd be *****ing that "...it didn't warn me, how was I to know!?...".

The internet is a gnarly place, I'll take false positives over tacit assumptions of safety anyday.

OpenCarrier

It's still better on average than Chrome, and if it didn't whine about "...every certificate..." and someone MiTM'd you and stole info, you'd be *****ing that "...it didn't warn me, how was I to know!?...".

The internet is a gnarly place, I'll take false positives over tacit assumptions of safety anyday.
I am careful about what I do online. You don't have to cuss I didn't realize I hit your nerve like that. I think FF is the best but still needs a few tweaks. They got make sure you buy more ram by upping the resource requirements I get that. I don't use cards online and change my passwords often. And you don't have to cuss to make your point even though it has asterisks in it.:ROFLMAO: The internet is a gnarly place so opinions will NOT always be the same as yours. Let's agree to disagree before ANOTHER thread is locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.