Starcom 21 Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, just heard them making workarounds due to the outage. Over on 453.900 where I am.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
a fiber cable was cut causing issues. It has since been resolved. DuComm Fire advised units to switch back to Starcom from VHF. as of 2015 hours all the DuComm talkgroups sound normal.

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
I've also noticed (as well as some users have commented) on "bleed over" from other agencies using Site 1-002. At first I thought it was programming, or just the way the new I/Q scanner handles simulcast. At times I will hear, IDOT dispatches (not the car-to-car) Metra Police and Pace coming in on various ISP talk groups. One of the dispatcher mentioned it last week "I don't know what that was coming in" after hearing the Pace Dispatcher askeing a bus "how many passengers on your bus" was coming in on District-Chicago C channel. Cross-transmissions?

Starcom21 (Non) Issues Here

Whatever it is I don't have the bleed over issues here on sites 1-026 Kane and 1-046 McHenry. The LITH/Huntley PDs and Algonquin PDs have had some minor outages, they go to Failsoft mode for that site. Outage usually less than 30 mins. I can see the control channel appear great on the spectrum one second and then instantly vanish. Like techs are switching cables, doing some work. Then the PDs start complaining. But it depends on whose tower the patrol cars are affiliating with at the particular time. Some cars working off the 1-046 McHenry site or others and don't have the issue. Then they try to figure out who can "hear" and who can't. I've also noticed that in SDRTrunk, there will be a notice given in the data packets, such as "Planned Control Channel Outage" with times listed. Nice to know. During our big storm last week, I was monitoring the whole time sites 1-046 and site 1-015 Lake Co, and they used up every last frequency...and I really didn't hear any major problems or glitches due to overloading Starcom21 and/or RX loss. I was impressed. Sounded like it all worked fine in an emergency. Can't ask for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.