STARS has had some kind of change recently in NOVA

wcu02mpa

I keep a Whistler TRX-2 in my vehicle and live in NOVA/PW County. Up until about a week ago I could listen to STARS with no problem. All of the sudden I am getting no audio. The same thing is happening with my TRX-1 portable. I thought this might be encryption as that is what happens on an encrypted channel, like a DWR talkgroup. This is not the case as my SDS-200 is still decoding STARS just fine. I updated my TRX-2 and TRX-1 through the software and no change. Is anyone else experiencing anything like this? My second thought was simulcast, but I did not think any part of STARS was simulcast.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Should be working ok. No issues with the G5.

Check to make sure the Whistler scanners have all the current control channels.

Going forward it sounds like the system rolled to a different control channel these two scanners don't have it programmed.

wcu02mpa

I suspect this is a TDMA switch. I also used to be able to non-affiliate scan them with my XTS2500. It will no longer break squelch. The question now is, is this a setting I control in my TRX units, or is this a database “need to update” on the software side?

wcu02mpa

Figured it out!!! I had to adjust the squelch, now decoding great. Thanks to all who responded. I know they will go encrypted at some point, but want to scan them for now.

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
Glad you got it working again. I spent most of today around Franconia and I was hearing them on my HP2 with no problem. I always program with all frequencies in case they play with a control channel change.

wcu02mpa

Right now the only receiver I have picking up is my SDS-200, which is one kick ass scanner by the way. If they made that with a detachable head I would buy one for my vehicle. So assuming it is TDMA, how long before the whistler EZscan makes a correction in their database? The TRX-2 will do phase-2, but not sure if that is a selection in the database, the scanner or? If anyone is in the know, feel free to educate me. Thanks

viggendriver

What control channel are you seeing? Trying to get my SDS100 to find them up in Manassas but not detecting any of the control channels listed in the db.

viggendriver

Tried those too...zip:( That's why I was wondering what control channel others are seeing because I'm not seeing any on the Fairfax, Independent Hill, Dumfries, and Mt. Weather sites. Not sure if I'm just in a bad reception area.

N4VKF

Premium Subscriber
Tried those too...zip:( That's why I was wondering what control channel others are seeing because I'm not seeing any on the Fairfax, Independent Hill, Dumfries, and Mt. Weather sites. Not sure if I'm just in a bad reception area.
Are you using the stock antenna? It might be time to try an different antenna.

bep

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like the same thing that happened to me in Virginia Beach/Norfolk. Nothing on my end changed but have not been able to hear them since that day. I see reception bars, but no voice.