STARS Reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eugene

Fortunately the RS version of that scanner for some reason did allow me to use Butel....which I use for all my scanners. Is easy and intuitive. Even so, the RS/GRE scanners were more difficult to walk through and edit and you had to bring a base amount of knowledge to the table. If I end up putting up external antennas on my new house (which I will do at some point, even though I will be unpopular with the wife) I may need that attenuator if I keep the RS scanner. I may just use the 996XT which I removed from my old car which is much less susceptible to RFI. Now if I could get my 396XT to behave on STARS.

Eugene KG4AVE

W4UVV

Butel SW for GRE

Fortunately the RS version of that scanner for some reason did allow me to use Butel....which I use for all my scanners. Is easy and intuitive. Even so, the RS/GRE scanners were more difficult to walk through and edit and you had to bring a base amount of knowledge to the table. If I end up putting up external antennas on my new house (which I will do at some point, even though I will be unpopular with the wife) I may need that attenuator if I keep the RS scanner. I may just use the 996XT which I removed from my old car which is much less susceptible to RFI. Now if I could get my 396XT to behave on STARS.

Eugene KG4AVE
-----------------
Previously, I didn't mention it but I originally purchased Butel SW for my PSR600 before I knew about Win500. I tried both and found that Win500 came closer to meeting my programing needs.

Regarding your 396XT, I've have used every base/mobile model scanners except the 436 that Uniden has made. I just remember that the Navy NW comm site in Chesapeake also has directional HF frequencies it frequently uses some what are below 10 mhz. and have a east/west lobe. RFI harmonics often very hard to id.

As you know there's lots of strong RF from different radio systems in Tidewater and if you are experiencing signal losses at the same location every time and subsequentlypartial/full signal recovery, at the same general area, it reasonably points to one or more digital RFI sources as a likely cause.

Digital RFI has no heterodying audio with combined with the desired input signal. Being stronger than the desired input signal, it attenuates the input signal, which at the worst case level no desired input signal is detected by the scanner above threshold which results in temporary no signal reception when in your case mobile..

I infrequently drive to the Va. Beach to near the bridge tunnel entrance to attend military items auctions. I use both an XLT and 536 for monitoring STARS, Suffolk, Surry, Suffolk, Orion, etc. Mobile I use a separate hi/low band vhf Blonder Tongue cable tv lo/hi vhf amp with a lo/hi vhf 5/8th wave mag mount and another B/T cable tv amp with a separate commercial uhf 5/8th wave mag mount antenna. Both amps are powered by a 12VDC/115AC inverter. I should be a prime candidate for RFI but I never have experienced any from the systems I monitor when in Tidewater.

My route is Rt. 460 to Suffolk thru Chesapeake, exit south briefly on I64, then to the I264 Norfolk/Va Beach Expressway 500. Returning is the same route except while trying to keep from getting whacked sometimes I miss the I264 exit and then either go through the Portsmouth/tunnel mess or across the bridge on I64.to the Hampton mess.

Are you using Butel's 396XT/996XT SW (ARCXT BasicC(396XT/996XT)for programing your HT? That's what I used with my XT models.

John
W4UVV

Eugene

I have not made that trip yet. I go through the Monitor-Merrimack BT and it is definitely abrupt signal loss at the same point every singe time. Stays deaf through the Suffolk portion of 664 and in Churchland area of Portsmouth. I know that is a straight line from NAS Norfolk and you have Joint Forces right there at the and of the bridge.......so RFI a good candidate, although it worked before I dicked with the firmware, but that may be coincidental. How does that pre-amp work for you and where did you purchase it?

Eugene KG4AVE

W4UVV

Question.....

I have not made that trip yet. I go through the Monitor-Merrimack BT and it is definitely abrupt signal loss at the same point every singe time. Stays deaf through the Suffolk portion of 664 and in Churchland area of Portsmouth. I know that is a straight line from NAS Norfolk and you have Joint Forces right there at the and of the bridge.......so RFI a good candidate, although it worked before I dicked with the firmware, but that may be coincidental. How does that pre-amp work for you and where did you purchase it?

Eugene KG4AVE
----------------------

Please answer my question. I have a reason for asking it. Tnx.

John
W4UVV

Eugene

Oh sorry...........didn't see the question. It's the ARCXT basic. Use it for the 396XT and 996XT and I understand it will work with the P2 series with upgrade.

Eugene KG4AVE

W4UVV

Ok Tnx

Oh sorry...........didn't see the question. It's the ARCXT basic. Use it for the 396XT and 996XT and I understand it will work with the P2 series with upgrade.

Eugene KG4AVE

-----------------

To answer your question, as a second career for 34 years I did commercial and private satellite tv installations and maintenance. My equipment distributors also sold cable tv amplifiers as they were customers and had their own satellite tv antennas receiving configurations. Oversimplified explanation, they ported the satellite tv base band signals to their facility and converted each baseband A/V signal to the appropriate tv channel that usually was the same as if you received whatever tv channel off air for your tv. Then however many channel the cable system were were inputted to a signals combiner and transmitted through the cable tv coax distribution lines configurations throughout the city, county, etc.,with individual taps made by the installer and coax run to the appropriate home or business.
So now the satellite tv A/V baseband satellite tv signal has been converted to vhf ch. 3 tv just the same as if you had received it off air on your tv antenna..

The cable company could have assigned whatever programing service using a single tv channel amp on any one of 57 different tv channels at the facility but they try to match up their cable tv channels where appropriate to the FCC tv channel authorized for use...and so forth for all the tv channels available for customer viewing. For programing like movie services, sports, etc.they can use up to 200+ individual cable tv configured channels. For example, HBO could be on ch. 185 or whatever.

Often there is a requirement to amplify the signal strength of the delivered cable tv signals usually involving a multi tvs viewing situation requiring signal splitting for noise free plus reception. They are available for low/high vhf and uhf. I bought both models for use in receiving radio signals within those amplified frequency ranges instead of using it for off air tv reception enhancement.

They are not cheap because they are commercial grade and used in environments who accept high prices used in their environments can require a special power supply purchased separately. Also, you had better know what you are doing. Otherwise, these items can be damaged like any other electronics. One down side for the uhf models available today is the FCC restricted the top uhf tv channel not higher than ch. 57. The 804-870 mhz. range we are interested no longer is supported. The range coverage drops off significantly after tv ch. 57 for obvious reasons. Only the older uhf models supports the full 800 mhz. range.
For large cable tv systems which those large channels available a special amp probably is made for those systems.
As for their cost, major manufacturer's such as Blonder Tongue are expensive and much more than you would want to pay. Do some Google searches to get an idea of how bad. They probably will not sell factory direct to the public only through an authorized distributor.

PM me now providing your ISP email address and telephone number please.Tnx.

John
W4UVV.

Eugene

Resurrecting this thread 1 more time. Still little to no reception on the Southside past the 664/Sufflok line. I noticed at home with a Watson Super Gainer the scanner (Uniden 396XT) would lock on the Hampton site but not the Chesapeake site, so I deleted all the Division 5 frequencies and just put in ALL the Chesapeake frequencies, not just the control channels.......nada. I live in Portsmouth so I should be in range of the Chesapeake site on Military Highway. ????? Don't know where to go from here.......just have to live with it I guess. Any further ideas?? Thanks in advance.

Eugene KG4AVE

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Do you have signal on the control channel? Have you tried programming the CC's for the Chesapeake site as conventional channels? That might allow you to see if you have reception and which channel is the active CC. You could also experiment with scanner and antenna placement by doing that.

Eugene

Ah..........good thought.............will try that when I get home.....good thought......thanks. Will let you know.

Eugene KG4AVE

Eugene

tglenndye: Tried what you suggested. Immediately locked onto the CC with 5 bars on the SS but when in trunking, 2 bars tops and only intermittently no matter where in the house or with which antenna (even on the 2nd floor). And even when displaying 2 bars...still no capture. I also noticed that when programmed as a conventional channel, even tough the scanner locked onto it.....I did not hear the data signal at all....just silence (which I thought strange since it was in as a conventional channel so any modulation I would think you would hear). Any other thoughts? Thanks.

Eugene KG4AVE

n4jri

Premium Subscriber
tglenndye: Tried what you suggested. Immediately locked onto the CC with 5 bars on the SS but when in trunking, 2 bars tops and only intermittently no matter where in the house or with which antenna (even on the 2nd floor). And even when displaying 2 bars...still no capture. I also noticed that when programmed as a conventional channel, even tough the scanner locked onto it.....I did not hear the data signal at all....just silence (which I thought strange since it was in as a conventional channel so any modulation I would think you would hear). Any other thoughts? Thanks.

Eugene KG4AVE

Hi Eugene

Was in your neck of the woods Sunday and didnt feel like STARS reception was good on the portables. I generally depend on the mobile and even then have to wonder what I might be missing

73/Allen (N4JRI)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eugene

You may be missing a lot.......I took the scanner from Portsmouth down 58 to 85 and into Carolina.....very spotty reception at best. Did not used to be this way......don't know what has changed.

Eugene KG4AVE

Eugene

On the other hand, worked great with VIPER....which is 700-800 MHz trunked, not VHF 150-160 MHz trunked.

Eugene KG4AVE

Status
Not open for further replies.