STARS

Status
Not open for further replies.

trainman111

Premium Subscriber
Because honestly, a tag for a traffic stop doesn’t really need to be read over the radio, half the time they can get the info themselves from VCIN and NCIC, only if they need to double check infonwill they go over the radio. Maybe special info like a Signal 4 or other hit will hint some radio traffic

Tags aren't read over the radio because LEO's need the info; most traffic stops are given out over the air for officer safety so that nearby officers are aware of the stop and can assist if necessary. Some metro Richmond agencies actually have policies prohibiting the entry of traffic stops via the MDT.

Spazilton

I don’t think the Phase 2 upgrade has anything to do with encryption. They can already go Encrypted if they choose by the push of a button. Probably either for interopablility or to allow more users. They have been slowing phasing in APX series radios. We might see more encrypted units, but that’s selectable. I don’t think Dispatchers will. But that’s just my two cents

Encrypted Radios as a rule are only issued to certain units. Not all units by a long shot can go secure.

LeSueurC

IBEW Local 50
Premium Subscriber
Well if that’s the case, VSP unit 668 used to be an encrypted unit, I guess now because he has an APX series radio he’s in the clear. So again i don’t think Phase 2 has ANYTHING to do with encryption or unless he just doesn’t encrypt his radio anymore

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
Well if that’s the case, VSP unit 668 used to be an encrypted unit, I guess now because he has an APX series radio he’s in the clear. So again i don’t think Phase 2 has ANYTHING to do with encryption or unless he just doesn’t encrypt his radio anymore
I agree the phase 2 has nothing to do with encryption. What I am seeing more and more is a signal being displayed on my 536 as P25. BUT no audio. No data indicator displayed. Nothing just P25. It is not a couple seconds either.. I seem to see it the majority of the time on Thornburg. Dispatch is heard sometimes but not Mobil.

https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/592

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
It blows my mind that I "regularly" hear rap being broadcast on VSP CUL1 Tac1. I would like to think it is an accidental keying up but my head will not accept that anymore!

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
Less activity on STARS

I have noticed over the last several days that even the SSP voice dispatches are getting much less. I guess that using the terminals and text/cellphones is the dispatching now. I have turned on additional sites and the action just isn't there. Thornburg seems to carrying the most traffic.

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
Update question

What does this update mean? "October 6, 2018, 12:24 pm (Changed Site # 005 (Bear Den Mountain) to 005 (Bear Den Mountain))" simply that the # sign was removed and why is that important since I never see the # used?

Thanks

fredva

Feed Provider
What does this update mean? "October 6, 2018, 12:24 pm (Changed Site # 005 (Bear Den Mountain) to 005 (Bear Den Mountain))" simply that the # sign was removed and why is that important since I never see the # used?

Thanks

Ben, that's just a standard message that appears when the database admins change something about a site. There's probably a new frequency or a changed frequency for that site. I don't think the # or lack of a # means anything.

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
Ben, that's just a standard message that appears when the database admins change something about a site. There's probably a new frequency or a changed frequency for that site. I don't think the # or lack of a # means anything.
Thanks Mike. I thought I was losing it......

traildraft

Visiting Concord. VA area.

I was monitoring VSP during the recent rainstorm and heard quite a bit of traffic. I only heard heard the encrypted type chattering a couple times. I have an old radio and forgot my programming cable. Took a a while to program a new T-table.

Nitsud

Anyone concerned about not being able to monitor VSP communications in the future is simply uninformed. Other than undercover ops and tactical teams, VSP radio communications area clear and will remain clear for a long time.

VSP does NOT have the ability to "flip a switch" and turn all the radios to secure. The "secure" option isn't installed in ANY of the road troopers vehicles, other than SGTs and above which means that if the supervisors were to go "secure" the troopers wouldn't hear them.

You hear so much SSP now because that is the only radio communication they have with the division dispatch center. Most of the troops that work in an area with SSP go out of their way to use the terminal as much as possible.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Anyone concerned about not being able to monitor VSP communications in the future is simply uninformed...

Thank you for your insight. It is appreciated. BTW, what happened to your post count? I know this isn’t your first one.

Nitsud

no clue! my username and login works, but it acts like ive never been on here before.

mymman

Premium Subscriber
No encryption During Storm

As you can see I live on the VA, NC border. Our city was shut down, flooded and torn up by the storm last week. I got my money's worth from my mew SDS100 as I listened to agencies on both sides of the border, each using a different method of transmission. The scanner caught every conversation. I heard no encryption anywhere. My power went out as trees hit my home but most importantly big ones' took out the entire power grid here. No power, no phone, ATT cell tower took a hit and was down, no internet, no Wi-fi, just total darkness and my new scanner. I had multiple surgeries just days ago and could not even ride in a vehicle, much less drive. I listened all night during the storm until the battery finally went dead. I did not get power restored until this morning.

I heard some amazing stories which do not belong here. The point is no encryption spoiled the excitement. I am aware of at least one member on this forum likes encryption because he installs it. Oh, one story, the VSP and the county sheriffs were all chasing a man on a motorcycle. A scanner listener saw the man and his green cycle, called in the location and the VSP caught the guy thanks to the scanner listener. Get with your elected officials with stories like this which would have never happened if the Virginian troopers had encryption..

MotoTRK

VSP does NOT have the ability to "flip a switch" and turn all the radios to secure. The "secure" option isn't installed in ANY of the road troopers vehicles, other than SGTs and above which means that if the supervisors were to go "secure" the troopers wouldn't hear them.

This is false, i am very good friends with many Troopers all of whom DO HAVE the SEC soft key hidden deeper in the menu options and when pressed DOES display AES for secure. This absolutely is 100% selectable on both the XTL/XTS's and the APX's.

Nitsud

All the radio “have the button” but when selected it does nothing.

rescue674aa

I’m an idiot
Premium Subscriber
I’m in Div 5 VB and Chesapeake, I can’t pick them up anymore did they change anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.