State Patrol "Scanners"

Status
Not open for further replies.

cm205

Have heard several troopers recently mention on the statewide system that they are "scanning" other agencies or have heard other agencies' traffic "on the scanner". Curious to know if anyone is aware if NSP has actual radio scanners in their cruisers, or if they are simply referring to their statewide radios scanning through other programmed channels.

Redneck0410

I believe that would be their radios scanning through other channels. Most if not all of the newer motorolas are capable of this.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Ever since local LE got rid of their 4-channel HT1000s, they've been able to scan but most don't.

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
I haven’t lived in NE for about 15 years, but when I was there NSP installed scanners in every cruiser and the troopers used them A LOT. I’m guessing they still have scanners. It’s a relatively small purchase to give them the ability to listen to local agencies. Their Motorola radios will also scan, so they might be able to monitor other SRS agencies if they are programmed.

Last edited:

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
Looking at some recent NSP cruiser photos online, the cruisers have a Larsen NMO150/450/800 antenna on the trunk lid (likely used for a scanner), 1/4 wave 700mhz on the trunk lid (mobile extender), and the main VHF antenna on the roof. There is also another smaller antenna on the roof that might be for GPS & MDT (looks like a GPS antenna with a small whip on it).

PACNWDude

On the West Coast, this is common practice, install a single DIN sized Uniden/Bearcat scanner in the consoles with the Motorola radios, Whelan siren controller and cup holders. A detective form a smaller police department once asked me how to easily monitor FRS radios that perps were found to be using, and I mentioned the scanner as well. Or just buying your own FRS radio and scanning with that. Some PD's even had Optronics near field receivers in large metropolitcan cities here on the coast. The last model I have seen in squad cars are BCT996XT digital scanners.

scanomaha

Well, I can answer that LOL :)

Back in 2013 I personally programmed 12 scanners for NSP... I programmed 9 Uniden 996XT's, & 3 996T's
I recall this was mostly for Troop A, ...and maybe a few went down to Lincoln? And I think one scanner was used in their dispatch center as well.

I recall programming Douglas County/Omaha, Sarpy County, Wash CO, and several surrendering counties.

I assigned EACH system (county) a "Quick Key " number...and made OPD & OFD each their own system/quick key, and had instructions for the troopers in the field how to turn on/off th different systems by simply using the "quick key" feature that the Uniden scanners have.:geek:

I did take a photo (see below) of the first batch of scanners I programmed ...and the remaining scanners were one at a time.... spaced out over several weeks.

NSP_Scanners_2013_Marty2.JPG.png

lb2234

Premium Subscriber
I'm gonna guess that it's a mix of both due to various forms of encryption. For example, NSP scans Lincoln Police 1/3/5 a lot, and I've actually heard them talk on those channels. Would make more sense for those to be built into the cruiser radios, both for interop and for scanner consolidation reasons.

cm205

Interesting to note I recently heard a trooper mention he’d talked to a commercial vehicle on CB in reference to a vehicle lookout. So they must have CBs as well as scanners in the cruisers.

Status
Not open for further replies.