• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng Static on Baofeng 888s

Status
Not open for further replies.

nd5y

inexpensive Baofeng UV-5R can operate on multiple bands (which would enable us to try multiple options, assuming the radio is decent), but it looked like it would be very complicated for first time radio users to operate.
If you had problems with the BF-888S then the UV-5R will not be any better.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
We have more than $10, but we don't have more than $35 each.

Hate to say, but in that price range, you are going to be limited to the Chinese radios (lower end ones at that) and bubble pack GMRS/FRS radios. You see how well those are working for you. There is not going to be some magic radio in that price range that is going to fix the issues you are having.

chief21

Premium Subscriber
Summer - Western NC; Winter - Tampa Bay FL
Using the 888 software, it was apparent how to set the squelch level, but I don't see how to do this on CHIRP.
I just had a peek at the user manual for the BF-888 and, incredibly, it states that setting the squelch level can only be done in software. Setting the squelch level would be considered a basic radio function that should be capable of adjustment on the radio itself. Unbelievable!

As to CHIRP, the Miklor site suggests that current versions of CHIRP have squelch adjustments under the "Settings" tab, but apparently each radio model is a bit different, so you might have to look for it.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I just had a peek at the user manual for the BF-888 and, incredibly, it states that setting the squelch level can only be done in software. Setting the squelch level would be considered a basic radio function that should be capable of adjustment on the radio itself. Unbelievable!

As to CHIRP, the Miklor site suggests that current versions of CHIRP have squelch adjustments under the "Settings" tab, but apparently each radio model is a bit different, so you might have to look for it.

Motorola radios have long dispensed of the squelch knob. Which is a shame because sometimes noise levels are high on a portable. You now set it with RSS/CPS or a tuner.The default I use is to set the squelch to threshold on the bench.

Phil-Hogan

The Baofeng 888 Programming Software allows you to set squelch, but the radios operate even worse when I use their software than CHIRP. From what I read, CHIRP does not support squelch settings on the 888s

Interestingly I had an electrical outage at home yesterday, so I took the time to test the radios without any WiFi or other RFI/EMI coming from my house. The subjective audio quality was better, the static was less, and I was able to transmit from inside to outside beyond 300 feet. However, I still think these are not good enough to use for us.

Failing any final words of wisdom or insight, I'm ready to give up on these.

Thank you all again for taking time to reply and offer suggestions.

DeoVindice

P25 Underground

The only handhelds I've worked with that allow squelch to be controlled on the radio are Kenwood low band portables. Everything else treats squelch as a set-and-forget item to be programmed by the system administrator. I can't say I've ever had an issue with that implementation, but UHF isn't exactly a high-noise band.

Status
Not open for further replies.