Sticky: Digital Scanner License

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Okay. I still don't see a specific mention or any other correlation between the Digital Scanner license and having any form of a land mobile, amateur radio, or other types of licenses in any of those links from IC.

There isn't. Some people are reading the clause in the original proposal document about how the government "may grant an exemption to (...) amateur radio operators" and are taking it as a de facto guarantee that hams will be automatically exempt from licensing - taking a vague statement and running with it like a fat kid after an ice cream truck.

KE7JFF

There isn't. Some people are reading the clause in the original proposal document about how the government "may grant an exemption to (...) amateur radio operators" and are taking it as a de facto guarantee that hams will be automatically exempt from licensing - taking a vague statement and running with it like a fat kid after an ice cream truck.

Thank you! Thats what I was trying to explain to the other poster in this thread.

DragLvr911, I'm sorry, but someone lied to you.

DragLvr911

Well its simply a mess honestly, my license allows me to own and operate digital restricted radios including digital scanners. Maybe someone needs to get IC to just publish SOMETHING! but were hobby of scanning is such a small blip in their minds.

DragLvr911

all digital scanners are restricted in canada .. pop open any manual for any scanner and it'll say *license required for use in canada* .. also if your a fire fighter .. the police arent going to say you cant have one .. goto the links i posted and read. and ive also attached Manual for my 996T (digital) scanner. ...(page 10) http://www.uniden.com/pdf/BCD996Tom.pdf

Last edited:

maplebear

Premium Subscriber
This is the IC definition for a digital scanner:
Digital scanner receiver is a scanner receiver capable of decoding ONLY DIGITAL SIGNALS.
Analogue scanner receiver is a scanner receiver capable of decoding ONLY ANALOGUE SIGNALS.
Spectrum Management and Telecommunications - RSS-135 - Digital Scanner Receivers
Since a the BCD99T scanner and others like it also decode analogue signals it can not be a digital scanner.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Geez... I knew I should have followed my own advice and kept out of this argument. There's just no telling some people.

threadeject.jpg

KE7JFF

You know, I never caught that it at first that the circular calls for a license for both separate analog and digital scanners. Talk about dating itself!

Now back to the issue with DragLvr911:
-Because this regulatory action from Industry Canada is half baked, the only legal standing (and it barely is there) is the manufacturers under that circular must make note to its end user about the license.

-However like I said, this circular is half baked. No one at the moment requires a license of any kind for operation of a scanner because IC has not followed up on a procedure to procure a proper license or made it clear on what needs a license, or enforced the scanner license in any shape or form.

DragLvr911

well thats canada for you ... Half Baked ! in my township theres a villion bylaws and no bylaw emforcement officers even the opp refused to deal with them. Radio Scanners = Hobbiests ... Whos going to enforce anything. theres not much control over ham licenses iether. anyone can buy one, plug it into a power supply and key up the mic right ? ... (i would hope so lol), scanning is a lesser form of amature radio all because all we can do is recive. I have nothing against any of you guys, all i wanted to do was to pass on what ive been told. weither its right or wrong, idk ... It would be hard to tell someone they cant use one and say another can. Like Jay im hoping out of this thread cause its a never ending debate till someone decides to publish something concrete about weither these radios require a license and exactly where and how to get it.

camay123

Premium Subscriber
Looks like it it stated on here:

GRE PSR-600 Police Scanner Radio

it says:

Canada Customers Only (other than government officials): A radio license must be obtained prior to possession and use of a digital scanner. Please check with government authorities for further information on this Canadian regulation.

This is what brought me to this thread to try to find an answer.

Heterodyne

Premium Subscriber
Looks like it it stated on here:

GRE PSR-600 Police Scanner Radio

it says:

Canada Customers Only (other than government officials): A radio license must be obtained prior to possession and use of a digital scanner. Please check with government authorities for further information on this Canadian regulation.

This is what brought me to this thread to try to find an answer.

You won't find any answers to this issue.

Just keep your head low and don't brag.

ObiHann

oh come on now, be realistic here. Were all adults and there is no reason to just make up silly statements.

Fat kids can not actually run after an ice cream truck! They get to the end of there driveway and give up.

:)

SuperTex

all digital scanners are restricted in canada .. pop open any manual for any scanner and it'll say *license required for use in canada* .. also if your a fire fighter .. the police arent going to say you cant have one .. goto the links i posted and read. and ive also attached Manual for my 996T (digital) scanner. ...(page 10) http://www.uniden.com/pdf/BCD996Tom.pdf

I am a holder of the Restricted Radio Operator permit from the Ministry of Health.
I am a holder of the ROC-M Restricted Marine Radio License.
I operate digital radios at my place of employment. I do not have any "Digital Radio License". I've never even heard of it, but then again I don't really concern myself with licenses I don't need.

I purchased a digital scanner from a retailer mentioned in this thread and was not asked for any license or even identification from my place of employment, which I had with me. The gentleman took my money and I walked out the door. Probably for the last time since I don't like the mark up of local retailers.

The local police have been in my home at my request in the course of a threat made to me by someone on the internet. While my "stack" (in plain view in my living room) interested the officer, she had nothing to say about it. I'm sure if I had "Illegal Digital Scanners" she would have been happy to confiscate them.

Do I want to pay IC money for something I certainly don't need? Of course not. So why would you come to an open forum and go on about issues that are obviously something they aren't concerned about.

davidmc36

Premium Subscriber
I am a holder of the Restricted Radio Operator permit from the Ministry of Health.
I am a holder of the ROC-M Restricted Marine Radio License.
I operate digital radios at my place of employment. I do not have any "Digital Radio License". I've never even heard of it, but then again I don't really concern myself with licenses I don't need.

I purchased a digital scanner from a retailer mentioned in this thread and was not asked for any license or even identification from my place of employment, which I had with me. The gentleman took my money and I walked out the door. Probably for the last time since I don't like the mark up of local retailers.

The local police have been in my home at my request in the course of a threat made to me by someone on the internet. While my "stack" (in plain view in my living room) interested the officer, she had nothing to say about it. I'm sure if I had "Illegal Digital Scanners" she would have been happy to confiscate them.

Do I want to pay IC money for something I certainly don't need? Of course not. So why would you come to an open forum and go on about issues that are obviously something they aren't concerned about.
Thank-you.

Say goodnight Gracie.

SuperTex

in my township theres a villion bylaws and no bylaw emforcement officers even the opp refused to deal with them..

Cops everywhere don't like to do the work of Bylaw Enforcement Officers... and rightly so. Ticketing cars and dog noise complaints are pretty boring.

This really has nothing to do with the issue we are discussing. Digital scanners. But I digress.

I'd love to see a scanned copy of your "Digital Radio License". You can block out your name of course. I might apply for one :) Last time I checked MNR Fire was using analog freq's... usually the Fire freq of the hosting service... If they have one. I get it that unincorporated townships have no radio frequency.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
If anybody wants to continue this discussion, please do so in one of the new forums.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.