strange transmissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
Might be an X talkgroup, apparently they do have encrypted radios on that system. Might have been one of the Drugs/Vice Division talkgroups.

nautlynch

Isn't it only digital that is encrypted? I only have an analog scanner. I shouldn't hear anything, if digital, should I?

Also, it was on Simulcast 800 which I thought was only analog.

DickH

Isn't it only digital that is encrypted? I only have an analog scanner. I shouldn't hear anything, if digital, should I?

Also, it was on Simulcast 800 which I thought was only analog.

No, any type modulation can be encrypted. There is no connection between digital and encryption.

Which Talk Group?

nautlynch

The talk group, "Found Channels"

A rarity it appears:

.fordyce.org said:
Since complex analog encryption is rather rare, our focus will be on digital encryption products manufactured by Motorola, Inc.

Last edited:

DickH

The talk group, "Found Channels"

A rarity it appears:

If it's on the Portland system a Talk Group number should show up. Which scanner do you have?
As I recall some TGs in the 8000 series were encrypted. I haven't monitored anything except fire in a long time.

nautlynch

I have the 346xt.

If the TG is in the 8000 series (or any other for that matter), how can I find which precinct are they out of?

This is the file: 0063 18-05 Simulcast E 18704 ID-18704.mp3

Last edited:

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
I have the 346xt.

If the TG is in the 8000 series (or any other for that matter), how can I find which precinct are they out of?

First of all, you're just going to have to look on your display for the TGID... thats how you find out who it belongs to. When you find it, you can look for the ID on the Portland 800MHz database.

Second, you can't just post names of files into threads. The internet doesn't work like that lol.. and you posted that file already in your first message..

Last edited:

DickH

I have the 346xt.

That looks like Talk Group (ID) 18704. The E must mean encrypted. 18704 is listed to the US Forestry Service, but the feds can probably use any Federal TG they want.

nautlynch

I have Simulcast E and W for overlapping GPS use. When I searched for talk groups the scanner puts them all into one group: "found channels" but only gives out some ID. I'm not sure what that is.

I see "UID" and "ID" show up on one transmission. It switches back and forth while someone is talking.

15942 is obviously a patrol car by what he was saying but it's not listed in the database.

Last edited:

nautlynch

Thanks Gezelle007, I did arrive at that definition a while later. However, I see no need or purpose for the radio's ID,

Still, there seems to be many TGID's I cannot place into groups because they aren't listed in the free database.

A different topic and I don't know how to compose a search for and I don't want to start another thread for such a simple question: how do I enable sites in the double digit? I have everything crammed into 1-0 because I couldn't find out how.

edit: ok that question worked. Hit the "." before entering double digits. Now I get to redo everything.....again!

Last edited:

DickH

Thanks Gezelle007, I did arrive at that definition a while later. However, I see no need or purpose for the radio's ID,

Still, there seems to be many TGID's I cannot place into groups because they aren't listed in the free database.

A different topic and I don't know how to compose a search for and I don't want to start another thread for such a simple question: how do I enable sites in the double digit? I have everything crammed into 1-0 because I couldn't find out how.

edit: ok that question worked. Hit the "." before entering double digits. Now I get to redo everything.....again!

What do you mean by "double digits".? To monitor the entire Portland system you need only the 4 control channels for the simulcast system. Those other 9 sites are simply "fill-in" sites for difficult reception areas. Only units affiliated to those sites will activate them.

nautlynch

What I mean are sites above number 0 or 9 or sites other than portland. Anyway will you help me with this? I feel like i'm....well, mentally handicapped with this. Multnomah works but the rest won't.

Also, Biddle Butte reception is better than Simulcast when traveling I-84 east.

Attachments

• proscan1.txt
    34.5 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

DickH

What I mean are sites above number 0 or 9 or sites other than portland. Anyway will you help me with this? I feel like i'm....well, mentally handicapped with this. Multnomah works but the rest won't.

Also, Biddle Butte reception is better than Simulcast when traveling I-84 east.

What do you mean "site numbers above 0 or 9"?

Also what are you referring to "... Multnomah works but the rest won't. " ?

Looking at that file, you need to take out all the other Portland sites. With those in your scanner you are going to miss parts of conversations. As I explained, you need ONLY the 4 control channels in the simulcast system. If you are out in the gorge a lot, having Biddle Butte in your scanner should not cause too many problems, but if you put more than one of those Intellirepeater sites in, you are going to have trouble, as others have reported.

nautlynch

I don't have them on all at once. I only turn one at a time when traveling in their respective areas. Vancouver (clark county) might be site (system) 11 but it's turned off when I'm home in Portland. BTW, That is what I mean by "double digits", the scanner only shows 1 - 0 on the display, for "SO", and I wasn't sure how to turn 11 - 99 on and off.

As with Biddle Butte, I only turn it on when traveling eastbound I-84 past Troutdale. So how can these sites cause problems when in my scanner when I don't turn them on unless i'm in their area?

Last edited:

DickH

OK. Now I understand all the confusion. Your scanner uses a different type of programming called Dynamic Memory. Their use of the term "SITE" is different than a trunked system transmitter site, or tower.

I don't have that type scanner so I don't know how you can do what you need to do.
As far as the Intellirepeater sites, it should not be a problem if you only turn on one at a time, then turn it off as soon as a conversation is finished. If you don't turn it off quickly,
it will give you trouble because when the scanner is on the Intellirepeater's control channel, it will remain there and you will miss traffic on the simulcast system.

Status
Not open for further replies.