Strangest calls heard on your scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceman977th

Feed Provider
I was at school yesterday and the fire alarm went off, 20 minutes before the end of school. As soon as I got out of the building, I immediately tuned into my scanner broadcast and listened in. Turns out it wasn't just another drill, but when I heard why, I kinda chuckled.

Transcript:
Station 94 Portable 1: 94-01, dispatch.
Boyd Co. Dispatch: 94-01.
94-01: You'll be receiving a call from the alarm monitoring company at Boyd County High School, we've found the problem.
Dispatch: 10-4, do we need to uh, send anyone or is everything okay there?
94-01: Everything's OK at this time, they were making some smores in a classroom which set the alarm off.
Dispatch: Dispatch copy.

Link: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

If you're wondering why I didn't have the dispatch call included, it's because the guy that runs Portable 1 was already there for some reason so they took care of it fast.

Anyways, there's mine for now. What's your guy's stories? :p

CrabbyMilton

After 30 years of this crazy thing called scanning, there have been countless funny things. For some reason the one that sticks out for me is from or local bus system. A transit supervisor was complaining that his work car was dirty even though he washed it at the end of his last shift, parked inside and nobody else drove it . He said that the city must come in here with their street sweepers and shake all of the dust off on our cars.

SCPD

QRT
Mine was a call (in another thread too) near Christmas. Dispatch sent an officer to check on a goose with a broken leg. Officer acknowledged the call with "I think I just found my Christmas Dinner."

hfxChris

Database Admin
I found this one rather funny. Command at a water rescue asked dispatch to page out the tactical truck for support. Twenty minutes later, after the truck should have arrived, it was still not on scene, so they called them on the radio. The tact responds, "sorry, our awning deployed en route".
Well they finally made it, and when they were later released from the scene they told dispatch they were mobile in service back to the highway to search for their awning...

Another good one, EMS dispatch called a unit to ask them where they were because the AVL system screwed up or something. The truck responded, and dispatch responded with "ok good, just making sure because the AVL is showing you out in the middle of the ocean, wanted to make sure everything is ok"

ObiHann

Heard a call to a seniors home this morning, seems a 95 year old woman threw a plate at a workers head, than preceded to follow the staff around the home threatening them. I get a chuckle thinking about a cranky old woman, 95 years old, throwing plates at people :)

KLH

Feed Provider
This just happened several days ago:
EMS/Fire dispatched because "4 year old hasn't pooped in several days"
After about 5 minutes EMS went in service saying "Patient solved the issue on his own, no medical care is needed"

It seems people call 911 for everything, including bowl movements.

W6KRU

I posted this on one of the other "strange calls" threads but I'll repeat it here.

The FD was sent to a suicide attempt. The victim tried to kill himself with a spear gun. He failed in the attempt but he did manage to pin his face to wall with a spear. The FD had to send another truck with a saw to cut out a section of the wall so that he could be transported to the ER for the spear removal.

The FD was dispatched for a hysterical woman who had lost an eh ... eer ... eh personal stimulating device that she was unable to retrieve from one of her cavities. :eek:

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
Back in the 80's while attending an air show at the local Naval Air Station, the Stealth Fighter was do to make a fly over. I was listening to my scanner rather discretely. There was an exchange between the pilot of the Stealth Fighter and the tower, the pilot indicated he was going to be late for his scheduled slot as he was coming down from somewhere in NY. He updated his ETA and the tower asked did he want to run north to south or south to north over the runway. This exchange goes on for a minute or two and the tower ask for a position report- the pilot responds. The tower says I do not have you on radar! The pilot replies "I am invisible" then turned on his transponder and the controller said Ah, now I see you!

CrabbyMilton

Ah yes. I used to take my scanner to military open houses back before they switched to an encrypted system. Anyway, there was a problem with garbage cans overflowing. Someone said are you show you have everything under control?.....Yes we'll take care of it where's the garbage truck?......I don't know.
As they were saying this, I was walking right past the garbage truck.

kayi4cle

Premium Subscriber
Heard dispatch say: "Two males fighting in the parking lot at Knuckleheads Bar and Grill!" (Must have been a couple of knuckleheads, I was thinking!)

Gadgetman728

Premium Subscriber
I was listening the other night and heard a Police chasing a 10-46 drunk driver. He was headed West out of Wichita down 54 highway. I was impressed at how they (dispatchers & Officers) worked hand in hand, and transfered the call from city to city, Goddard was first, then Garden Plain, Cheney and finally Kingman. I heard Mt. Hope and Andale Sheriff's chime in and offer to help.
It was getting late and this chase didn't seem that exciting until he got all the way to Kingman, about 30+ miles from Wichita. The crazy driver finally hit a fire hydrant & ran into a small building, where he was apprehended. the fire hydrant wasn't live, so no big water problem.
Now for the rest of the story, this whole chase was done at about 35 MPH!!

JamesPrine

The most unusual radio comm I've ever monitored was back many years ago in New Orleans, back then the NOPD was using analog, non-trunking UHF and they could be heard for quite some distance.

Anyway, I listened as a patrolman went out with a "Signal 107" (suspicious person) out on Chef Menteur Highway in New Orleans east rather late at night.

Everything was going well, with the Officer checking on the subject through MOTION ('Metro Orleans Total Information Online Network') when all hell broke loose; apparently the subject jumped the Officer and attempted to snatch his sidearm as he shouted and cursed the Officer.

The Officer fought back, shouting "10-55!" into his radio ("Officer needs Assistance") and moments later the calls changed to "108!" (Officer needs Assistance NOW!"), and then there were several gun shots fired...all caught on the radio.

After the last shot, it got sort of quiet, and then the Officer, a trifle winded, radioed, "I'm okay, I"m okay, but I need EMS Code 3 (Lights and Siren), the Coroner's Office, and a Supervisor..."

In aftermath, the 'suspicious person' was wanted under several felony warrants and he simply wasn't going back to jail. He died on the spot, and the Officer sustained nothing more than a few cuts and bruises and a ripped uniform shirt.

Life in the big city, you know?

gatorhater

Naked and Drunk

Back in the mid 1990's I recall hearing calls on Estero Blvd in Lee County, Florida calls about a few naked people running along the main drag of Fort Myers Beach. I don't recall if it was from a dare or just way too much to drink. It was in late March the spring breakers were winding down their parties when a call was for suspicious activity at about 0230. One of the deputies responded to the area and found a few young men and women, drunk and naked running or jogging down the road. They weren't cited they were just sent down the road to the hotel that they were staying at. There was a lot of funny comments on the Tac channel for area after the drunks went inside their rooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.