Stridsberg Multicoupler Failures

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I have a couple of Stridsberg 8 port multi-couplers and a couple of 4 port versions. They are/were not installed at the same location. Each of them has failed. I haven't opened them up yet, but I imagine something in the front end is blown.

1) Have any of you had these problems with this device?
2) Does anyone have a schematic and/or service manual?

Thank you in advance

737mech

Premium Subscriber
I have a couple of Stridsberg 8 port multi-couplers and a couple of 4 port versions. They are/were not installed at the same location. Each of them has failed. I haven't opened them up yet, but I imagine something in the front end is blown.

1) Have any of you had these problems with this device?
2) Does anyone have a schematic and/or service manual?

Thank you in advance

Did you contact Stridsberg? I did read somewhere in this forum about a diode that can go bad on the multicouplers.

LesWurk

had the HF version fail, they repaired it no charge, but it failed again, into the garbage after that, if it's was a VHF one I might have given it a second chance, but anyway contact them about it, they may fix it for you

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Another Multicoupler Question

As a follow up question, is there a simple way to tell if my Stridsberg 8-ports are functioning properly? One has a green light; one has a red light. As much as they cost, $45 might be a bargain to get fixed.

Metrofire31
WQIT636
Atlanta

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
Multicouplers

Since I have several units, and they ALL have this failure, I don't see anything positive about having the factory repair them; especially since they are more than 1 year old. I'd much rather repair them myself and understand what is failing; making changes if I can. A schematic or other document would be great, but is not essential to have.

... is there a simple way to tell if my Stridsberg 8-ports are functioning properly?
I looked at some "constant" signals directly from the antenna and through the coupler with an RF meter. I used NOAA and a couple of active 800 MHz control channels. It was clear the multicouplers were not operating.

One has a green light; one has a red light.
Yeah, I've got that too. They must have used whatever LEDs they could get more cheaply during production.

As much as they cost, $45 might be a bargain to get fixed.
I've got radio equipment and electronics that are DECADES old and work great. If these units are failing like this, there is a clear design flaw. I suspect if "repaired" by the people who designed them, they'll simply fail again. No price, including free, would be a bargain to me. I won't even mention what I am using as a replacement, but much cheaper, better performing, and so far so good.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
They will fix them for $45, I believe, if out of warranty. Had mine fixed a while ago and couldn't be happier.

mancow

Database Admin
had the HF version fail, they repaired it no charge, but it failed again, into the garbage after that, if it's was a VHF one I might have given it a second chance, but anyway contact them about it, they may fix it for you

Garbage? :confused:

I would have bought it.

cg

Premium Subscriber
If you keep getting failures, perhaps the power supply is an issue. I have 7 of them running 24/7 and had only one problem 8 or 9 years ago (hope I didn't just jinx myself)
The multicouplers and radios are all run off a 12VDC power supply. Antennas are on a common mast and are not grounded. I do not transmit on any of the radios in the house.

chris

skywarrior

Premium Subscriber
I have 2 of the 8 ports and both have been back to Stridsberg for repairs. One I stupidly transmitted on and the other had loose connections and diode out. Both were out of warranty and both were fixed free of charge. I don't know if their policy has changed. I do not know of any other multicouplers that are thought of as highly. If they are out there I would love to know of them.

w4rtt

Not sure what your definition of fail is, but my 8 port active quit receiving, and the LED was out.
I open the unit, and there is an SMT fuse as the first component from the center connector of the power jack. It is marked with "FC". this fuse had blown. I didn't have one to replace it, so i replaced it with a very short piece of #24 wire. All is well now.

Randy
W4RTT

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
The power is OK

My failures are loss of signal. The power lights are on. Normally on a working until I'll get a nominal signal of +3dB on an output compared to input. On the defective units I am getting ~-30dB.

K4APR

...is there a simple way to tell if my Stridsberg 8-ports are functioning properly?

The best way to check it is with a calibrated RF source (I prefer an RF service monitor) and a spectrum analyzer. When we check them here in the lab, we typically generate a -50dB signal direct into the input port and check each output port with the spectrum analyzer. This allows us to see the loss (if any), gain (if it has an LNA) and any noise that might be induced on the signal by the coupler it'self.

commscanaus

I accidentally transmitted into an MCA204M back a few years ago with a 5watt HT.
It was an older model with the red LED.
Repaired it myself by replacing the MMIC which cost about $4.

It has been working fine ever since, although I take much greater care with what gets plugged into it!

A newer version (bought last year) with a green LED is working well, but is not used as often as the old one.

Commscanaus.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I sent 2 of my 3 dead Stridesbergs back the manufacturer and they were repaired for free. I'll be sending the 3rd one back now. The front end IC was replaced. I don't think these things have any protection on the front ends (nearby high energy source, lightning, etc).

jack103

Premium Subscriber
I sent 2 of my 3 dead Stridesbergs back the manufacturer and they were repaired for free. I'll be sending the 3rd one back now. The front end IC was replaced. I don't think these things have any protection on the front ends (nearby high energy source, lightning, etc).

Heres the facts form the president of the company:
Hi John.

Ship to the following address:

STRIDSBERG ENGINEERING, LLC
354 ALBERT AVENUE
SHREVEPORT, LA 71105

No RMA number is necessary.

The MCA204 (now MCA204M) carry a three (3) year warranty. Under that warranty units are repaired/serviced free of charge. If your unit is out of warranty we charge a flat fee of $45.00 to completely repair and refurbish to the latest specification, return shipping is also included.

Payment can be with VISA/MasterCard or American Express credit cards, also, we will accept your personal or business check as well.

Sincerely.

John E. Stridsberg
President (R&D)
STRIDSBERG ENGINEERING, LLC

fdnybuff18

Premium Subscriber
I know I am bring back an old topic, but does anyone have the info on the Fuse Marked "FC"? Speaking of the one that w4rtt mentioned. Mine went and need to replace.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.