Study Material?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VA3HQB

Hello, Im from north of the border, And Iv got a copy of the Study guide, but I was wondering if there was any other study material that I should have, or look into getting? I have a limited background in electronics, and just as much in radio theory, but Im certainly no whiz kid.

Ill be taking a course here in Sept, for my Basic, then in Jan for the Advanced. Im also trying to bone up on my CW. Its been a very long time, and Im limited to k,m,s, and o. lol. But at least its a start. :)

Any help or guidance would be appreciated, Thank you.

Looking at your username I thought you were already licensed. But I see that call is still available, so I hope to see your name listed next to it.

Having the study guide will go a long way toward helping you pass the basic exam. If you pass with 80% or better there won't be a need for a cw test. You will pass with honours and be granted full amateur privs with only a few limitations such as full legal power, the ability to own a repeater, etc that are reserved for the top Canadian license, the Advanced.

Keep going over the material, keep taking practice tests and once you start to pass at 75% on a regular basis schedule your exam. You only need 70% to pass, but the goal is to get at least 80% so you get HF without having to pass the cw test. Then as you wait for the day of the exam keep studying and before you know it you'll be on the air.

Good luck,

73 de Jeff VE6EFR

joseph2020

I am in the US, but the advice I can give you should apply anywhere. The study guide is your friend. Read and comprehend the material there is the first step to passing the test.

I agree with VE6EFR . Online testing helped me tremendously for both tests (Technician and General). There are several mock testing sites on the ARRL web page Exam Practice. The idea is not too memorize the answers, but instead, to find which sections need more study and which sections don't. I don't know how close the US test is compared to the Canadian test, but I am almost sure there must be an equivalent web site for Canadians.

In my opinion the most important thing is to understand the material and not just memorize the right answers. You can pass the test either way, but if you are serious about the hobby, you will want to know the material, not just the right answers to the questions.

One last thought: Don't study to just pass the test. Study and plan for 100%, so even if you miss a couple, you will still pass. Try to stick to your study schedule and don't take anything for granted.

Best of luck to you with your test(s).

Last edited:

VA3HQB

Thank you, I made the mistake of googling... I ended up at what seemed to be a great source of ham radio info, but I was banned becasue Im not licensed. And even though the admins instructed me to create a new account with an appropriate user name I got banned a 2nd time becasue of that.

Here at RR, It seems to be a more friendly forums, with much more helpful members/staff.

Using the internet, i have found some great study material aimed at the canadian basic qulaification, as well as federal documents for the regulation and legalities of amature radio. Iv printed it all off for future reference, and use. My girlfriend will be taking the course with me, so she can use this material as well.

Thanks again, for your help and suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.