STUPID ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

k5wrk

I purchased 996 and am thinking of sending it back for an sds200. For those who know, is there any difference in these scanners other than the larger display & more $$$ of the 200?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I would do this only if I were in an area where simulcasted trunk systems are a problem. Since we don't know where 'Chandler' is (the state would be helpful) it's next to impossible to answer this.

However our wiki has very complete layouts for both radios. I'm assuming here that you have a 996P2;

Mike

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
The difference is night and day. The 996 P2 is it good radio, always was but getting long in the tooth now. The sds200 is the latest release. As described above it has an SDR chip and it can handle simulcast Distortion secondary to LSM very well.

It has a data card that can be replaced giving it much more space including a database in the radio that can be searched just by putting in your ZIP code, then you set the range and how far you want to search.

The display is terrific and very customizable. Different colors, cluttered or clean, white text on black background. It's worth the extra money and even if you don't deal with a lot of simulcast right now it future proofs you.

It's a pretty steep learning curve if you never owned the x36 but you have your ticket and should be able to figure it out just fine. Plenty of reading to do here on the site. Good luck.

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
If you are in Chandler, AZ... yes, the SDS200 is a huge upgrade for those who listen to Maricopa P-25, RWC, and or TOPAZ. You'll hear simulcasts clearly.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I live in a simulcast area and both the 436 and 996 work great. Check your area to find out where the towers are located, this site may help AntennaSearch - Search for Cell Towers, Cell Reception, Hidden Antennas and more. . It makes all the difference.
Simulcast a hit or miss proposition. My 436 works fine in the living room but is a miserable failure in the bedroom. That's why I have an SDS100 and 200. The real estate industry is right. The three most important things are location, location and location.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
The difference is night and day. The 996 P2 is it good radio, always was but getting long in the tooth now. The sds200 is the latest release. As described above it has an SDR chip and it can handle simulcast Distortion secondary to LSM very well.

It has a data card that can be replaced giving it much more space including a database in the radio that can be searched just by putting in your ZIP code, then you set the range and how far you want to search.

The display is terrific and very customizable. Different colors, cluttered or clean, white text on black background. It's worth the extra money and even if you don't deal with a lot of simulcast right now it future proofs you.

It's a pretty steep learning curve if you never owned the x36 but you have your ticket and should be able to figure it out just fine. Plenty of reading to do here on the site. Good luck.

Very nicely said and I agree 100%. I upgraded to the SDS200 from the 996P2. No complaints on the radio itself. Here in Connecticut, it served me well. But when I upgraded, I discovered a whole lot of stuff I was missing. For one thing, the ability to put in your zip code and begin scanning right away until you learn the manual and such is amazing. For me, I like customizability. The dimmer switch for instance. You can set the low/medium/high settings by percentage. Basically, YOU determine how bright or dim you want your display at each level. It's little things like that that add a little more pleasure to your scanning, although not a must-have item. Like it has already been mentioned, the different ways to customize the display, is incredible. My advice to you is to read up on RR and other places, all you can about this scanner.. I sold my P2 and while it was great radio, I am much happier with my new SDS200. I realize it varies by location, but my 200 is picking up things I could never get with me P2. The P2 is a great radio but it is limited in comparison to the SDS 200. I upgraded the 8GB micro SD card it came with to a 32GB card. The audio is great for my needs as well. Have not tried an external speaker. It is not a perfect radio but definitely a more enjoyable step up from the P2 in my opinion. I realize it's different strokes for different folks so it is only my opinion for my needs. Good luck.

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.