Subject: New Daytime Frequency for China Radio International - August 7, 2024

SWLAdventurer

Hello RadioReference Community,I’ve discovered a new daytime frequency for China Radio International (CRI) that broadcasts Hungarian content:Details:Date: August 6, 2024Frequency: 15,220 kHzObservation: This frequency features CRI’s Hungarian broadcasts and is available during the daytime, which eliminates the need to wait until nightfall.Context: It’s valuable to find a daytime frequency for CRI’s Hungarian programming, making it easier to access their broadcasts throughout the day.If anyone else has observed this frequency or has additional information about CRI’s daytime schedules, please share. It’s always interesting to find new ways to tune into international broadcasts.Best regards,
SWLAdventurer

Boombox

Thank you for mentioning this. The broadcast might make it over to North America. I've never heard the Hungarian language on the radio airwaves.

TAC4

Got them on 15590 Khz now, 1341 UTC in English on the daytime band, fair signal 2/5 but not great. Transmitter is located in
Urumqi Hutubi, China 🇨🇳 also never heard Hungarian language
making is across the pond.

SWLAdventurer

**Reply to Boombox:**

Hi Boombox,

Thanks for chiming in! You might be right about this being more of a European broadcast. As a fellow European and Hungarian, I’ve also noticed CRI’s Hungarian-language broadcasts on 15,220 kHz during the daytime. It’s interesting to see how CRI tailors its content for different regions.

I’m curious to hear from anyone in North America—do you pick up any CRI broadcasts in Hungarian, or is this something more exclusive to Europe? It would be great to compare notes on how these international broadcasts vary by region.

Best regards,
SWLAdventurer

---

This reply acknowledges Boombox's observation, adds your own experience as a Hungarian listener, and invites further discussion from others in the community.

SWLAdventurer

Yes, it’s reasonable to theorize that Hungarian broadcasts on CRI are likely intended primarily for European audiences. China Radio International tailors its content to various regions worldwide, so Hungarian broadcasts are likely aimed at Hungarian-speaking populations within Europe, where there is a larger audience for this language.

In North America, CRI might prioritize other languages based on the demographics of the audience, such as English, Spanish, or Mandarin, which have broader appeal in that region.

If you want to incorporate this theory into your reply to Boombox, here’s how you could phrase it:at CRI’s Hungarian broadcasts are more of a European thing. Given that Hungarian is primarily spoken in Europe, it makes sense for CRI to target these broadcasts to this region.

In North America, they might focus more on languages like English, Spanish, or Mandarin, which have larger audiences there. It’s interesting to see how CRI tailors its content based on regional demographics.

Would love to hear if anyone in North America has come across any CRI broadcasts in Hungarian, or if they’re indeed more region-specific.

Best regards,
SWLAdventurer

---

SWLAdventurer

You’re correct that Spanish and English are prominent in North America, with significant populations speaking these languages. Mandarin is indeed spoken by a growing Chinese community in North America, particularly in cities with large Chinese populations such as Vancouver, Toronto, and parts of the United States like San Francisco and New York.

Here’s how you might incorporate this information into your reply to Boombox:

---

**Reply to Boombox:**

Hi Boombox,

You’re absolutely right that CRI’s Hungarian broadcasts are likely aimed more at a European audience. In North America, while English and Spanish are predominant, there’s also a significant Mandarin-speaking community in major cities like Vancouver and Toronto, as well as in places like San Francisco and New York. This might explain why CRI focuses on Mandarin broadcasts in those regions.

It’s fascinating to see how CRI adjusts its programming based on regional demographics. If anyone from North America has insights on CRI’s programming or other languages they broadcast, it would be great to hear more!

Best regards,
SWLAdventurer

---

This response acknowledges the presence of Mandarin-speaking communities and invites further discussion on CRI’s regional programming.

Boombox

I've heard CRI's broadcasts to the EU in German -- but I never hear German language, just music. I have also heard CRI broadcast to the EU in Esperanto. Those broadcasts usually are fairly strong, in the 21 Meter SW band. Those broadcasts reach here in North America in the mid-morning hours.

Never have heard Hungarian language on the SW before, though.

Voice of Greece used to broadcast daily to the US for several hours, in the 1990's. There are Greek immigrants in the US in the NE states.

They aren't on SW anymore, though.

Most SW broadcasts to the US are in English or Spanish, with CRI broadcasting in Chinese (there are a lot of Chinese immigrants in the US), and there are some broadcasts to Canada in French, also.

Token

Hello RadioReference Community,I’ve discovered a new daytime frequency for China Radio International (CRI) that broadcasts Hungarian content:Details:Date: August 6, 2024Frequency: 15,220 kHzObservation: This frequency features CRI’s Hungarian broadcasts and is available during the daytime, which eliminates the need to wait until nightfall.Context: It’s valuable to find a daytime frequency for CRI’s Hungarian programming, making it easier to access their broadcasts throughout the day.If anyone else has observed this frequency or has additional information about CRI’s daytime schedules, please share. It’s always interesting to find new ways to tune into international broadcasts.Best regards,
SWLAdventurer

What leads you to the conclusion that this is a new frequency for CRI in Hungarian?

Since at least May, and possibly further back than that, CRI on 15220 kHz has been scheduled in Hungarian from 1000 - 1100z. There may be other Hungarian scheds on that freq also, but that time frame I have heard before.

I also know there are other times and frequencies with CRI in Hungarian. You can find some of them here www.short-wave.info/

T!