Traveling Ham Mobile Radio - U.S. Repeaters Common Frequencies (2M & 70Cm Bands Only)

Sheepdog777

AE0TO
Premium Subscriber
i know many who travel and they just program all of the standard repeater splits and if they find activity , they just use the PL search function
The splits are standardized, for the most part, but what then? That's not the frequencies.

Sheepdog777

AE0TO
Premium Subscriber
Better to listen on a potential pair for a month, if it's clear, INFORM the coordinating body you are going to put a repeater up on that pair, give them the details(location, erip, antenna height agl, call sign) and put your repeater up. Keep a copy of the email incase they come back and try and give you grief when they coordinate someone else after you are on the air.
Agreed, it's not good "Ham Practice" to lord over a band of frequencies, which are open for everyone, to never do the very thing you're chosen for. (Repeater Council) What are they gonna do about it? Steal your birthday? Most Betas and Cucks bow to Alphas anyways...

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I don't think there's any practical way to codify those 19,000 repeaters. As the repeaters flourished, it has long since gotten out of hand. I suspect some sort of federal mandate would be required but that's neither practical nor economic. To be useful, repeater licensees would not only have to enroll their repeater(s) in a database but they would have to also report whether it's active or not. Weather, poor maintenance and wear & tear will take down a repeater at any given time. For the database to be useful, those inactive repeaters would have to be reported to the database and when it became active again, that, too, would have to be reported. A way to search the database (by state, county, city, maybe lat/lon, frequency and/or band, etc.) would be required.

And, we've gotta pay for it. It's the federal government so the cost will likely be outrageous. Don't expect any help from the frequency coordinators. In most cases, they're nigh unto useless.

I think the bottom line is, we're gonna have to live with what we've got.

Sheepdog777

AE0TO
Premium Subscriber
I don't think there's any practical way to codify those 19,000 repeaters. As the repeaters flourished, it has long since gotten out of hand. I suspect some sort of federal mandate would be required but that's neither practical nor economic. To be useful, repeater licensees would not only have to enroll their repeater(s) in a database but they would have to also report whether it's active or not. Weather, poor maintenance and wear & tear will take down a repeater at any given time. For the database to be useful, those inactive repeaters would have to be reported to the database and when it became active again, that, too, would have to be reported. A way to search the database (by state, county, city, maybe lat/lon, frequency and/or band, etc.) would be required.

And, we've gotta pay for it. It's the federal government so the cost will likely be outrageous. Don't expect any help from the frequency coordinators. In most cases, they're nigh unto useless.

I think the bottom line is, we're gonna have to live with what we've got.
Um, perhaps I missed something, but the way your response reads, it's like you missed the entire purpose of my OP.

Quick Review...

I provided every repeater frequency for 2M & 70CM in the U.S. Further, I provided tools to customize lists for your favorite travel areas. For example I took 7 states surrounding Missouri, I refuse to even step foot into Illinois, taking 1210 with redundancies, down to 315 for a 74% reduction. Now I can scan in any one of these states, including Missouri, and either it's active or not. Any dead repeaters simply scan past so it's self eliminating. If I get activity, my Automatic Repeater shift is on by default, and I do a quick CTCSS/DCS Tone Scan and lock it in to chat, all while keeping my eyes on the road with my camper in tow.

It was exactly not wanting to deal with 3rd/4th order malignancies with Repeater Book and Programming Software loading in Bloated Repeaters across several states. Repeater Book's Travel Feature is Hot Garbage for my travel areas anyways. Sometimes I get an repeater Txing something I can't decode, but I just push up or down on my scan.

Anyways, it was meant to help folks who aren't satisfied with the mediocre status quo.

I've linked my most current version of my spreadsheet with my example list tab, as well as a blank sandbox tab for you to play with, if you want. (Excel File)

73's

Ryan, AE0TO
o7

Attachments

• DSC01065 (3).jpg
    DSC01065 (3).jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 17

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I got it. How many are active? Repeater number 19,001 might have been added yesterday. Is that one included? I'm sure someone else's system went down last week. I don't want that one in my radio. You also require the operator to make some adjustments. If I'm on the road at 70 mph, the most I want to do is change channels.

I was talking about a searchable database updated daily that will give me contemporaneous information on active repeaters to put in my radio that, when I hit the PTT switch, will open the intended repeater.

My idea will never happen and yours doesn't seem all that practical to me, either.

Did I read this correctly?.... proposing licensing repeaters ? (#23 above)

It was tried years ago.. in the infancy of ham repeaters---and flopped spectacularly !
If memory serves me, there was a rogue FCC commissioner by the name of Prose Walker who had some pet plan to gather all this weird data on ham repeaters ---frequencies, altitudes, antenna patterns, controls--- for some research thingy he was doing--- and he made all that a requirement for licensing these repeaters.

If you could jump thru all the hoops the FCC licensed you with special callsigns starting with "WR" prefixes. Getting a license for "automatic control" was practically impossible--- the 'powers' required you to have a control operator present whenever the repeater was operational.
My grandfather had a cow over this :p

So, Yes, you can see why this didn't last long-----

19,000 mostly unused, dead, or on-paper-only machines is no threat to the stability of ham radio. Except maybe in places like mega-populated areas like California (a lost cause anyway)-- these machine are scattered innocently about the countryside. Their co-ordination is just a tempest in a teapot.

Lauri

Last edited:

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber

Lauri
No, no! It was strictly a searchable database to allow hams (or anyone, for that matter) to search available repeaters for travel purposes. For instance, if I travel to New York, I could get a list of 2m repeaters to program in my radio to, hopefully, talk along the way. There would be nothing official about it.

It's borne out of the fact that there is no real credible central source to get repeater information now.

k6cpo

Better to listen on a potential pair for a month, if it's clear, INFORM the coordinating body you are going to put a repeater up on that pair, give them the details(location, erip, antenna height agl, call sign) and put your repeater up. Keep a copy of the email incase they come back and try and give you grief when they coordinate someone else after you are on the air.
That's essentially what we did. If a dispute ever arises, I'm going to treat it as though we are coordinated because we applied, they responded, but never advised us whether we were coordinated or not. It's not our fault they didn't respond.

We are also in the process of taking over a repeater belonging to another club that is sunsetting. We've notified the local 2 meter coordinator of the ownership change, but instead of "approving" it at their last meeting, we were tabled until July. I really don't care for the way these organizations think they can run roughshod over repeater owners.

bill4long

Remember, folks. You are not required to coordinate a repeater. It only matters if you cause harmful interference to a coordinated repeater, then it is incument on you to eliminate the interference. In 90%+ of the country, coordination isn't necessary in practice.

Sheepdog777

AE0TO
Premium Subscriber
Yeah, I got it. How many are active? Repeater number 19,001 might have been added yesterday. Is that one included? I'm sure someone else's system went down last week. I don't want that one in my radio. You also require the operator to make some adjustments. If I'm on the road at 70 mph, the most I want to do is change channels.

I was talking about a searchable database updated daily that will give me contemporaneous information on active repeaters to put in my radio that, when I hit the PTT switch, will open the intended repeater.

My idea will never happen and yours doesn't seem all that practical to me, either.
Sweet! That and a nickel will get you a big ole' cup of.... JACK SQUAAAAAAT!

Make it yourself or move on... You're obviously not grasping what this project does. Have a great life pal...

Attachments

• CIMG0273.JPG
    CIMG0273.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 8

Sheepdog777

AE0TO
Premium Subscriber

It was tried years ago.. in the infancy of ham repeaters---and flopped spectacularly !
If memory serves me, there was a rogue FCC commissioner by the name of Prose Walker who had some pet plan to gather all this weird data on ham repeaters ---frequencies, altitudes, antenna patterns, controls--- for some research thingy he was doing--- and he made all that a requirement for licensing these repeaters.

If you could jump thru all the hoops the FCC licensed you with special callsigns starting with "WR" prefixes. Getting a license for "automatic control" was practically impossible--- the 'powers' required you to have a control operator present whenever the repeater was operational.
My grandfather had a cow over this :p

So, Yes, you can see why this didn't last long-----

19,000 mostly unused, dead, or on-paper-only machines is no threat to the stability of ham radio. Except maybe in places like mega-populated areas like California (a lost cause anyway)-- these machine are scattered innocently about the countryside. Their co-ordination is just a tempest in a teapot.

Lauri

I'm laughing my ass off when folks can't seem to grasp that this is binary logic flow and dead repeaters are self eliminating... It might be dead in one state, but used 3 different times across another....

Yes California was the most bloated for the frequencies and from the feedback of the locals out there, it sucks harder than a White House intern. But I really hope it just slides off into the ocean anyways, slow enough for cogent sane folks to escape... I've lived on the Communist Coasts and that's why I don't live there anymore.

Some folks will gripe if their Ice Cream is too cold...

Sheepdog777

AE0TO
Premium Subscriber
No, no! It was strictly a searchable database to allow hams (or anyone, for that matter) to search available repeaters for travel purposes. For instance, if I travel to New York, I could get a list of 2m repeaters to program in my radio to, hopefully, talk along the way. There would be nothing official about it.

It's borne out of the fact that there is no real credible central source to get repeater information now.
Literally work out the states for your travel plan in the sandbox and remove the duplicates... you'll be pleasantly surprised.

PROTIP: Set one of your mic buttons to Tone Scan and set your Automatic Repeater Shift to "On"...

k6cpo

Remember, folks. You are not required to coordinate a repeater. It only matters if you cause harmful interference to a coordinated repeater, then it is incument on you to eliminate the interference. In 90%+ of the country, coordination isn't necessary in practice.
True, but in a major urban area it is prudent to have your repeater coordinated.

WA4A

The world of ham radio FM repeaters has gotten too complex for much enjoyment for me...I started getting turned off when clubs and owners began installing coded DTMF inputs to keep out undesirables, then CTCSS made things worse. Two meter mobile
hamming was so much more fun back in 1970 with my old crystal controlled Swan FM2X on .76, .82, .88 and .94 with open repeaters and .52 simplex! Over the years, before long road trips, I've tried programming my newer radios from on-line or journal listings but since lots of these seem to be outdated, out-of-service or not in range, I usually just give up and listen to .52 direct, which, unfortunately, is even less populated than it was in the 1970s! A case of too many choices ending up as too few QSOs? My only other strategy is, once in a new area, I just manually tune a non-channelized receiver (usually a Yaesu FT-818) across the band at intervals and, if any repeater or simplex activity is there, I'll research the frequency, load in the parameters and make myself known.

73! DE WA4A / Bob

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
The world of ham radio FM repeaters has gotten too complex for much enjoyment for me...I started getting turned off when clubs and owners began installing coded DTMF inputs to keep out undesirables, then CTCSS made things worse.
I joined the ranks of ham radio in the late '80's, so I never had to deal with DTMF repeater access. I would think that would have been more of an annoyance than CTCSS.

I do bemoan the lack of comprehensive and accurate frequency information. I don't see direct FCC repeater licensing (ala Part 90 radios) as the answer, but I certainly don't like the inconsistent patchwork of local coordination bodies. I also decry all the "paper repeaters" that continue to be sanctioned.

I don't blame anyone for being overwhelmed by the sheer number of machines. Last night I pulled up the list of repeaters in my own state of Colorado (just for fun ;), mind you ) and, scrolling thru it, was amazed at how many there are......... several I know are 'dark'--

And I thoroughly sympathize with the angst produced when approaching programming a transceiver. Recently I sat down in front of my new Icom IC2300H and proceeded to make a muck of it, trying to program-in manually several frequencies. I will admit having some wine didn't help matters. The next day, clear(er) headed, and with a complete reset, I connected with the Zen of my new little beast, and today we co-exist in harmony.
------I also do not need to be told how people use computer software to program their radios--- you are dealing with a dinosaur here that does this stuff manually. Each and every one of my 'newer' radios has its own little programming idiosyncrasy that usually ends up vex'ing me unmercifully**.
I don't need to compound that with a computer.

Long ago I made my peace with the glut of repeaters. My vehicular 2 metre's have half a dozen stored frequencies programm'd in them, 3 local repeaters (if my memory serves me---) "52" is where they stayed 'parked'......."58"- for occasional SOTA... "49" because I happen to like that for my own private group's use when 4-by-4'ing.............. and that's about it.

I can expound on this more but at the danger of seeming a Luddite , that's it :p.

Lauri

________________________________________________________________________________

**I keep my own notes on each that I consult when necessary-- 'cheat sheets' kept in my hand and style. These keeps my blood pressure in bounds.

bubba4051

Premium Subscriber
Hello Fellow Hams and Radio Enthisiasts,

BOTTOM LINE UP FRONT (BLUF)

LINK: Traveling Ham Mobile Radio: U.S. Ham Repeaters Common Frequencies - Google Drive

Did you know that there are approximately 18,793 2M & 70CM Band repeaters in the U.S., which use only 1,303 frequencies? Imagine if you can have all, some, or none of your favorite local repeaters AND almost every other 2M & 70CM repeater frequency for your region programmed in your mobile radio. Well, this was my conundrum and if you’re interested, read further. Otherwise, TLDR and check out my latest project, Traveling Ham Mobile Radio: U.S. Repeaters Common Frequencies. If this is common knowledge located somewhere, then please let me know, because apparently, as I apparently, can no longer use the internet…

After developing the Google Earth Overlay Project for the Entire United States and Territories, I began to cut the Gordian Knot of Repeaters for the Traveling Ham. Specifically, the 2-Meter and 70 Cm bands, due the current equipment I have in my truck. While I have a Quad-Band TYT TH 9800 and a future Yaesu FT-891 shipping, I didn’t feel it necessary to map out the 6 & 10 Meter band repeaters. While the above project was more focused on a comprehensive archive for situationally dependent circumstances that were primarily static locations, which could also be used to plan for travelling as well, it is still a bit cumbersome to hand-jam in all the repeaters if your trip/route is across several states or regional.

Honestly, I am not impressed with Repeater Book’s Travel function, at least for MY travel areas. Right, wrong, or indifferent, I am a country boy from Arkansas and I like simplicity in the real world and I save the speculative realm for the mental world. For the areas I travel, throughout the hills of Missouri, Arkansas, Oklahoma, etc., Repeater Book’s travel function only provided about 5-10% of the actual “online” repeaters, which is okay for a baseline, but falls short of the actual situation. Additionally, I don’t like having to cherry pick out the repeaters along selected routes and analyze their coverage areas, each time I want to travel to a different portion of the state. I said there must be an easier way, which there is.

Now, I am old enough to realize that just because something is new to me, doesn’t mean that thousands of other experienced people don’t already know it. Similarly, just because I cannot find readily available information doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist somewhere. However, what I find highly ironic is that in such a highly intelligent, communications focused community, it seems that literally everything in Ham World is a homework project. Now, don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind studying and doing work, but what I cannot abide is doing things the hard way simply because that’s the way it’s always been done. I have found several different sources saying they simply program in their repeater’s frequency pairs instead of putting in every repeater, and/or doing “Edge Scans”, and then getting the offsets and PL/DCS codes off of repeater book, which to me is going the long way around the barn for the same information. So, I became curious and wanted to assist any other Hams who many also find this information useful.

IF: Only certain portions of the allocated bands are used for repeaters

AND: There are somewhat standardized/best practice offsets based on these frequencies

AND: There are a finite set of PL/DCS Tones

AND: My mobile radio performs the above two functions automatically/easily via microphone

AND: Many repeaters use the same frequencies, deconflicted by spectrum managers, location, ERP, etc.

AND: My mobile radio has a finite amount of memory channels

THEN: What is the no kidding list of Total Frequencies that are actually used in each state and the United States combined.

So, I’ve done the aforementioned homework and hopefully this can assist others in simplifying their Travelling Ham repeater operations and planning. Sourcing, yet again, from www.repeaterbook.com I’ve distilled the entire 2-Meter and 70 Centimeter Band Repeater Frequency list from 18,793 down to 1,303 total and comprehensive frequencies used on all of these repeaters. Again, based on Repeater Book’s data. The 0.99999% of the “unique situation” repeaters outside of this scope, I care not to address or even discuss. I’m looking for an elegant 99% solution. For example, in my areas of most common multi-state travel (Missouri, Arkansas, Kansas, Iowa, and Oklahoma), I can take all five (5) states 2M & 70CM repeaters, 594 down to 237 for a 60.10% reduction. My mobile radio’s memory channels love this, particularly for scanning, and/or leaving other channels for whatever else. Now I can roll down the road with my favorite local repeaters programmed in and when traveling, camping, or whatever I can scan faster, hit active repeaters, using my Automatic Repeater Shift function, and CTCSS/DCS Tone Scan to chime-in if I want to. Essentially, casting the broadest net, catching the most fish.

I’ve created a Blank Template tab in the Excel Workbook for those who don’t have 1,303 + Memory Channels in their radios. If you do have this many or more channels, then you literally can have every repeater in the U.S. and Territories, so cheers to you! o7 But… for the rest of us, I wanted to provide a tool to customize their individualized plans, if they choose to do so.
STEPS TO CUSTOMIZE COMMON FREQUENCIES

(You can use this list, or use your own source. [State Repeater Council] Simply create your list of overall frequencies and use the REMOVE DUPLICATES function under the Data Tab in Excel)

OPEN EXCEL WORK BOOK > CUT N’ PASTE FREQUENCIES FROM ALL STATES INTO A SINGLE COLUMN > OPTIONAL: SORT BY SMALLEST TO LARGEST (Otherwise Skip) > GO TO DATA TAB (DATA TOOLS SECTION) > REMOVE DUPLICATES > SELECT BUTTON CONTINUE WITH CURRENT SELECTION > IF USING MY TEMPLATE CHECK MY DATA HAS HEADERS (IF USING A BLANK EXCEL SHEET THEN DON’T CHECK THIS) > CLICK OK > BOOM! YOUR CUSTOMIZED LIST OF FREQUENCIES!!!

Feel free to provide comments and feedback.

Note: If you want to snipe so, be it, I really don’t care. If it makes you feel better about yourself, when you didn’t compile this same information with your vast labyrinth of knowledge, skills, and expertise, by all means “glow” all you want.

For those whom this can honestly help, of whatever skill and experience level, this is for you.

73’s & Kindest Regards,

Ryan, AE0TO

o7

How blessed is the man who finds wisdom

And the man who gains understanding.

For her profit is better than the profit of silver

And her gain better than fine gold.

She is more precious than jewels;

And nothing you desire compares with her.
In traveling from SC to PA along the western route, I have found that if you need assistance, you may more likely find someone on GMRS rather than Amateur Radio repeaters. Only 8 frequencies to monitor. Even for closed repeaters I have found that the owners are often willing to provide the PL tones for someone passing through. A good plan is to have both services available. N2CP

TYZ8AW

Allstar has breathed new life into our local 2 and 70 cm repeaters here in North Florida. The 440 machine is on the East Coast Reflector. The activity level is that of a 2 meter repeater in the 1980's, but over a wider area.