PSR-800: Suddenly No Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanesFan95

This is a PSR-800 re-flashed into a WS-1080 that was working fine in the car off the cigarette plug for about a week or so. Then suddenly today I'm getting no audio out the speaker or headphone jack. Went ahead and re-formatted the card, re-saved everything back on it with EZ-Scan, but still no audio. The screen looks normal but no matter what volume setting it's at, there's zero audio. It was just working yesterday.

Any ideas what this could be?

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
This is a PSR-800 re-flashed into a WS-1080 that was working fine in the car off the cigarette plug for about a week or so. Then suddenly today I'm getting no audio out the speaker or headphone jack. Went ahead and re-formatted the card, re-saved everything back on it with EZ-Scan, but still no audio. The screen looks normal but no matter what volume setting it's at, there's zero audio. It was just working yesterday.

Any ideas what this could be?

Do a power reset.

Unplug the scanner, pull the batteries, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds while pressing any other button . reinstall batteries and reboot, see if you can pickup and hear any NOAA weather channel.

If does not work, repeat and try removing the microsd card and reseating., you may need to do this several times.

CanesFan95

Well, I just tried that a few times, but still no audio. NOAA gets nothing either. The scanner stops on active talk groups but nothing comes out the speaker. And for some odd reason, the battery meter on the display shows the batteries are low even though they're fully charged.

CanesFan95

You did turn off auto update in the software

I don't think I did, but I'm not sure where in the EZ Scan software to turn that off at. But the audio was working yesterday and just stopped today and I never hooked the scanner up to the computer. The scanner was in the car.

CanesFan95

Yeah, I have the Battery Charge Hours in the Advanced Features Tab set to Disable. And, the Automatic Update Checks is showing as disabled (the box is not checked).

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Well, I just tried that a few times, but still no audio. NOAA gets nothing either. The scanner stops on active talk groups but nothing comes out the speaker. And for some odd reason, the battery meter on the display shows the batteries are low even though they're fully charged.

I have had this issue twice now on my pro-668, Keep doing the power reset holding the power button for at least 30 seconds....sometimes it takes several times for it to work. if you don't get squelch or NOAA do it again.

CanesFan95

Well, sorry to hear you've had the same problem. I just did the reset like 5 more times with the card pulled out and still no audio. This'll be a real bummer if this scanner is toast somehow. Can't imagine what would cause this.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
Well, sorry to hear you've had the same problem. I just did the reset like 5 more times with the card pulled out and still no audio. This'll be a real bummer if this scanner is toast somehow. Can't imagine what would cause this.

do the reset, then leave it unplugged and the batteries out for 5mins.

CanesFan95

Well, thanks for the tips. I did another reset and left the batteries and card out for a good 10 minutes. Then on powerup, I got the date prompt. But unfortunately, its still not working (no audio). I've tried conventional and trunking, analog and DMR. The scanner stops for active channels, but never unmutes.

I may try going back to a PSR-800 or re-loading the CPU later on when I have more time (although I'm not sure how to do either one, so I'll have to figure that out somehow?).

Swipesy

Try this -

In EzScan for WS-180 press Restore to Factory Defaults.

Turn off battery charge.

Copy config to Scanner and see if that solves problem.

marksmith

My PSR800 is working great. Best reception on phase 2 of any radio I have. This thread is one reason why I will not update it in any way.

Mark
536/436/HP1/HP2/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800

CanesFan95

So how do we know the upgrade caused this? And my Phase II decode has been dismal before and after the upgrade.

Try this -

In EzScan for WS-180 press Restore to Factory Defaults.

Turn off battery charge.

Copy config to Scanner and see if that solves problem.

I tried that out and then did another power reset with the card out and still no audio. Now I'm getting worried somehow this scanner is suddenly a $600 piece of trash.

scosgt

So how do we know the upgrade caused this? And my Phase II decode has been dismal before and after the upgrade.

I tried that out and then did another power reset with the card out and still no audio. Now I'm getting worried somehow this scanner is suddenly a $600 piece of trash.

Sounds like a hardware problem unrelated to the update.
Do you get any audio out of the headphone jack?

They are easy to open up to check for a bad speaker connection. Four screws on the back and two under the batteries.

And it is no longer a $600 radio. At one point it was a $99 radio, thanks to Rat Shack.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
The update did not cause this, My 668 did this once long before the update and once since the update. A power reset fixed it for me both times.

I would still try to reinstall the 3.8 firmware or any other previouslyworking firmware.

Reformat the card.

Checked all settings to eliminate operator error.

And continue doing a power reset.

Then there is always the possibility the the audio amp circuit has failed (if no audio from the headphone jack or the speaker). Contact G&G Communication for repair estimate.

scosgt

The headphone jack could also be shorted out, that would result in no audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.