Suggestions as to distant PD heard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kd1sq

Database Admin
Hi guys.

I'm up in Caswell, far northern Aroostook County right on the New Brunswick border.

I'm hearing a very faint, very noisy transmission on 155.5950. Not a hugely busy frequency. Some of the radios are using ANI, sounds like it could be a PD given the ANI and use of 10 Codes. Can only make out a few words, not enough to definitely ID anything.

I've checked the databases, Canada has nothing, all the listing for the County seem to be either too distant by far or are nowhere near as strong as they ought to be.

So, does a PD using ANI on that frequency come to mind for anybody? I'm curious as to who it could be.

TIA,

Lee

ecps92

Any PL or DPL ??
NH uses 10 Codes

VHF is not that wide open today, unlike a week ago, altho Low band has been fun of late. To include FM Radio
Hi guys.

I'm up in Caswell, far northern Aroostook County right on the New Brunswick border.

I'm hearing a very faint, very noisy transmission on 155.5950. Not a hugely busy frequency. Some of the radios are using ANI, sounds like it could be a PD given the ANI and use of 10 Codes. Can only make out a few words, not enough to definitely ID anything.

I've checked the databases, Canada has nothing, all the listing for the County seem to be either too distant by far or are nowhere near as strong as they ought to be.

So, does a PD using ANI on that frequency come to mind for anybody? I'm curious as to who it could be.

TIA,

Lee

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
Without a PL tone or more specific information we're not going to be much help. The one good thing is, this frequency has very few analog users. You're likely hearing some from New Hampshire, as some towns share that frequency in northern New Hampshire in analog.

tvengr

Well Known Member
I see only 4 possibilities that would be within range:
KCB574 Fort Fairfield PD
KNAU533 Caribou PD
WQJA893 State of Maine O.I.T.
WQEU201 St Albans Fire

ecps92

With VHF High being open as it has been, it could be from anywhere in New England, NJ/NY or Canada
I see only 4 possibilities that would be within range:
KCB574 Fort Fairfield PD
KNAU533 Caribou PD
WQJA893 State of Maine O.I.T.
WQEU201 St Albans Fire

kd1sq

Database Admin
No IDs heard, but it's very weak. PL might, maybe, possibly be 192.8 unless KG-Tone habitually flips to that when the squelch first opens.

Have heard "10-8" used.

Fairfield, Caribou - both local towns and excellent copy to me using the Channelmaster Monitenna I kept unused in a box for 27 years. So I'd strongly doubt it's them or OIT (what very little I can make out isn't OIT's style.)

Whatever it is, it's far enough away that I get aircraft flutter on it from time to time.

Don't forget, I'm almost 200 miles north of the nearest really big town - Bangor - where the tropical part of Maine begins.

ecps92

192.8 does point to being a Maine user.

For years on VHF it was common to only see
118.8 VT
136.5 NH
192.8 ME

Maine Marine Patrol uses 155.5950, but last reported as CSQ altho in the past was 192.8
Likely what OIT is licensed for [they took over all the FCC licensing for the State]
No IDs heard, but it's very weak. PL might, maybe, possibly be 192.8 unless KG-Tone habitually flips to that when the squelch first opens.

Have heard "10-8" used.

Fairfield, Caribou - both local towns and excellent copy to me using the Channelmaster Monitenna I kept unused in a box for 27 years. So I'd strongly doubt it's them or OIT (what very little I can make out isn't OIT's style.)

Whatever it is, it's far enough away that I get aircraft flutter on it from time to time.

Don't forget, I'm almost 200 miles north of the nearest really big town - Bangor - where the tropical part of Maine begins.

drsparky

Caribou PD car to car and handhelds on direct are lower power and not up on the hill. Thus weaker signal.

kd1sq

Database Admin
Caribou PD? I think we have it figured - I get them good and strong on 159.1500. I have to be getting the input, I'd assume and just couldn't get enough intelligibility to be able to put two and two together.

I'll just have to fire up the second SDR on the other machine and make sure their activity coincides!

We got it. I think!

drsparky

159.150 is mobile tx, 155.595 is mobile rx.
car to car or direct goes around the repeater so 155.595 is both tx and rx.

ecps92

So the license is messed up then as both are listed as FB2 aka Repeater
with 154.8450 as the input

I think you might have them reversed if KD1SQ is getting 159.1500 real strong.
159.150 is mobile tx, 155.595 is mobile rx.
car to car or direct goes around the repeater so 155.595 is both tx and rx.

kd1sq

Database Admin
KNAU533 does appear to be all that CPD has. 159.1500 appears to be the repeater output. The 155.5950 frequency , when heard, is very weak. The 154.8450 frequency I haven't heard anything on at all.

My assumption at this point is that the weakly heard 155.5950 frequency is the repeater input for the strong 159.1500 repeater output.

I've got the SDR and a reorder watching the (so far unheard) 154.8450 frequency.

Once I get the radio room sorted a little better I'll have the other SDR up and the two systems then watching both the repeater input and output frequencies simultaneously to see if activity on both maps one to one or otherwise.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
I got my rx and tx swapped, I’m gettin’ old.
Which is why it's always better to submit a ticket to the DB with it being clear the repeater out vs in.
"RX" and "TX" mean nothing to us.
I've received (too many) submissions that look like this...

"Motorolatown Fire RX 155.2500 TX 154.3100".

And expected to know which is which.
Is the RX the mobile receive? The repeater receive?.

Status
Not open for further replies.