Suggestions for replacing Sony ICF-2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkeye59

Well the 2010 has been a great radio up until this morning when I turned it on and it no longer works.

Looking for todays radio with perhaps the same rep the 2010 had for all those years in production and beyond.

Hawkeye59

In the minutes since posting I have run across the Sangean ATS-909X which is looking like it has good reviews. Will Have to wait till Nov. for a black case version tho it seems.

Any users of this model ?

corbintechboy

Premium Subscriber
The ATS-909X is not going to be anywhere near the caliber of the Sony.

If you want a more modern replacement for the Sony, check out the Eton E1. It is a great radio with many bells and whistles. I am in the process of selling one on ebay (if I ever get paid) and can honestly say, it is a great radio.

If the 909X is anything like the 909 (which I heard it is) it likes a bigger antenna and is nothing to write home about off the whip (I have owned the original 909 as well).

Having owned all 3 I would say:

909 was OK (better then cheap radios, not near as good as the other two)

Sony has the best sync IMHO but lacks features found on the Eton. Sony is better off the whip.

Eton is a great radio and IMHO rivals the the Sony in SSB use.

Now if I were to pit the Sony or the E1 against my R8, I would say the E1 would be my clear choice. The R8 has excellent sound and the E1 is close. The E1 can hear everything the Drake can hear (with a external antenna).

The 909 wouldn't even be able to rank in this race! It's a case of the rabbit vs. the turtle.

Hope this helps!

Hawkeye59

Ahhh looks like a good one but like the 2010 it is out of production so a new one is out of the question. Not into the used market.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Once again the wiki on receiver reviews comes to the rescue;

Sangean ATS 909X Receiver Product Reviews

RadioIntelligencer

Sangean ATS-909X « radiojayallen

and I see that the Universal radio used list has a Drake R8 for $450, albeit with one broken front foot (shouldn't be all that hard to replace)....and a display item 909X for $240....

The E1 is also out of production - IF you get a good one (quality control has been a real issue with this radio) you're not going to find much to touch it.

best regards..Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.