SUNY Buffalo

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs16

Premium Subscriber
Can anyone explain the SUNY at Buffalo setup?

In the main database, they have 3 analog frequencies under the Schools and Universities section. (Facilities, Campus PD, Shuttles)
Erie County, New York (NY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Then under the SaiaNet Trunking systems, they have a whole bunch of talkgroups (Campus PD, Parking, etc)
SaiaNet Trunking System, Various, New York - Scanner Frequencies

What's the difference between the conventional analog and the DMR? Why have both? Which get more traffic?

ak716

Premium Subscriber
SUNY PD is on SaiaNet. If thats your intended department you want to listen to, listen to it on SaiaNet. I don't know for sure if they even still operate or use their analog PD channel for something else, or backup purposes, of if its been repurposed for UB. When UB PD switched, I wrote it off.

Facilities might still be using analog, but thats just a guess.

Many departments still have their old channels, just to have/hold on to. A few agencies around here switched bands years ago, and still hold onto their old channels, just to have it for that blue moon situation. One in particular mainly operates on UHF, its old VHF channel is still patched even though its really not necessary. I know changing bands vs. switching from conventional to a TRS isn't the same thing, but just thinking along those same lines though.

rs16

Premium Subscriber
I didn't realize how much DMR is actually around here. (I don't actually understand the difference between DMR, NXDN, P25, etc). I noticed for the BNIA airport, most of that is analog (Erie County - Buffalo Niagara International Airport (BUF) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference) but the Operations are on DMR (SaiaNet Trunking System, Various, New York - Scanner Frequencies).

Why would the operations be on DMR and everything else be on analog? Also, why are so many businesses on DMR?

k2hz

Database Admin
Why would the operations be on DMR and everything else be on analog? Also, why are so many businesses on DMR?
DMR or NXDN technology is now cost competitive with analog and offers enhanced features. For small businesses, DMR or NXDN trunking offers advantages over a private analog system. P25 is very high-tech and expensive and is generally used only by large critical public safety systems while DMR and NXDN are fine for business and small public safety systems. The FCC mandate effective in 2013 for reduced bandwidth resulted in degraded performance of analog systems and led to digital technology developments that offer significant improvements over analog for most business users. Any new or upgraded systems are now likely to be one of the digital modes.

Status
Not open for further replies.