Supply power to radio only when car is running?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You haven't lived if you have not experienced a dead car battery at a mountain top repeater site. A Motrac transmitter power supply did the trick in three hours.

I've had this happen at a site, but had another vehicle. No jumper cables at the time. Grabbed some old #6 wire and used that as make shift jumper cables. Could have pulled a 12 volt battery out of the repeater if the other truck wasn't there.

First stop after getting of the mountain was at Home Depot and picked up a set of jumper cables….

robertwbob

KE0WRU
Have you actually measured how much current various radios draw when turned off?
no not even wasting my time doing that.read manual.its shows current draw under load and standby. but if it draws enough to kill a battery in 3 days id say you got trouble as the radio would be warm. and a note computers in 3 months can kill a battery. john deere finally realized that and installed a battery disconnect switch on battery box

cavmedic

Premium Subscriber
Easy way to address this is to power the radios directly off the battery and use the Lind timer to trigger the ignition sense leads. Since the older Motorola radios I've owned did not have internal timers, this gave me what I needed.

Never had an issue with dead batteries in any of my vehicles caused by radios wired this way.
They are wired that way with charge guards , but the APX still has parasitic draw on the non switched direct wire. No issues with Ambo’s that have battery disconnects when wired to the box batteries , no issues with fire rigs as they also have main disconnects , it seems to be the Ford Exploders / F150 police models. 🤷‍♂️

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
I'm slightly bothered (not much, just to the point of wanting to post about it,... barely)
by the "just remember to do it" responses.

When a distraction happens when you are in the middle of something, a person can easily skip something important. Like parking a car and shutting it off, how often are our minds distracted by something that warrants attention, or by our next task.

Sometimes this happens in situations with more consequences, like when an F-16 pilot doesn't put his gear down because of a radio call to him at the moment he usually puts the gear down.

The second kind of situation is when doing something a little out of the ordinary, like having a radio in your car when you don't normally have it there, or worse case, when you are taking an infant to daycare when it is usually your spouse that does it. LOTS of kids get left in cars because of that. Some parents realize the situation can happen and actually hook up a lanyard from their belt to their childs foot, as a reminder in case they forget. They'll be late for work, but the kid wont die of exposure.

All of this is just human nature.

This is behind a paywall, but if you subscribe to aviation week you can get it.

Thanks
Joel

robertwbob

KE0WRU
I'm slightly bothered (not much, just to the point of wanting to post about it,... barely)
by the "just remember to do it" responses.

When a distraction happens when you are in the middle of something, a person can easily skip something important. Like parking a car and shutting it off, how often are our minds distracted by something that warrants attention, or by our next task.

Sometimes this happens in situations with more consequences, like when an F-16 pilot doesn't put his gear down because of a radio call to him at the moment he usually puts the gear down.

The second kind of situation is when doing something a little out of the ordinary, like having a radio in your car when you don't normally have it there, or worse case, when you are taking an infant to daycare when it is usually your spouse that does it. LOTS of kids get left in cars because of that. Some parents realize the situation can happen and actually hook up a lanyard from their belt to their childs foot, as a reminder in case they forget. They'll be late for work, but the kid wont die of exposure.

All of this is just human nature.

This is behind a paywall, but if you subscribe to aviation week you can get it.

Thanks
Joel
Let me throw this 1 in. Forget to shut radio off. How the hell can you forget your baby in back seat? If you remember your baby you can remember your baby cause they can sleep quietly.
If you forgot the baby ,you might be better off afoot . Just an observation and never let disattractions detour you in what your doing.

MUTNAV

Premium Subscriber
Let me throw this 1 in. Forget to shut radio off. How the hell can you forget your baby in back seat? If you remember your baby you can remember your baby cause they can sleep quietly.
If you forgot the baby ,you might be better off afoot . Just an observation and never let disattractions detour you in what your doing.
Easy, as I described, about 12 (or more) deaths a year worth.

It's the same reason sometimes landing gears don't get lowered prior to landing, and people sometimes leave coffee, or a package on the roof of their vehicle. It's just how memory works.

Back to radio and power things, it's why reverse feeding a generator into your house is flat out illegal, it could kill a person if not done right and thoughtfully. Systems and procedures that don't care if you are sleep deprived or distracted are the way to go.

Procedures alone wont work in many circumstances, and sometimes can be harmful.

For example: With a truck on the flightline, it's required to be left on and unlocked (among other requirements) when leaving it for a few moments. It was always kind of easy for everyone to remember to leave the truck on, but everyone kept on locking the stupid doors when leaving:mad: due to force of habit.

I eventually had to have backup keys made just for this situation.

No reason to not adopt a mechanical system for radio power in a car, or a generator back up for a house.

Thanks
Joel

k6cpo

I find it odd that any ham would have issues with a 12V relay, energised from any car circuit only active when ignition is on. Surely this is a ten minute job, and at most 5 wires?
I did that with the accessory lights on my touring motorcycle. It had a dedicated Accessory circuit I used to energize a relay that then carried the power for the lighting directly from the battery.

With all the modern radios, including HTs, having Auto Power Off settings, I find this unnecessary now.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
My XTL5000 is unable to set to auto power off in CPS. Additionally, I like it to be powered on when the vehicle is off at times. The Lind device handles that and whatever else needs help to power down that doesn’t have it built in.