BCD396T/BC996T: Support questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rancehood

Premium Subscriber
I have a 396T that needs to go into for service to repair two different issues.

The first is a loose channel/volume knob, the second is that the ext. power jack is not functional

I think I read that I can send this in and it was $50 for repair service. But I wasnt sure if that was per issue that needs to be repaired or of this was just the shop fee.Do they fix all of the issues for $50? Is that just to get an estimate?

Any help would be appreciated.

Jeff

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Hi Jeff:

I have used the Uniden repair service to fix several issues with my 396T and I can tell you this - the cost for repairs is $49.50 plus $10.00 for shipping and handling. That is a flat rate fee to return your scanner to its original state. Remember however, you do have to package it, insure it and ship it to Texas, which ever way you choose (UPS, FedEx, etc.) so there is another cost to figure into the total that you will spend.

When I sent mine back for repair, there were a couple of issues that I told them needed to be fixed. They did fix what I asked and found two other items that needed attention and went ahead and did them also. No added cost for the other fixes. So, I really think the repair fee is not excessive and is a very good bargain.

Just be very patient with them because the repair department fixes units as they receive them, so you just have to get yours into the waiting list and they will send it back when it's done. Don't bother with trying to call them (as many here will attest) since the phone doesn't get answered with any efficiency.

Go to the link that DaveIN gave you in the previous post and follow the instructions.

Good Luck...

Russell

Rancehood

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the quick response. I was wondering how it took from the time you sent yours to the time it got delivered to your door? I have a trip planed at the end of March and would like to take mine with me.

I'm guessing that with the ever looming list of issues plaguing the BCD-536HP the repair shop may be quite a bit behind.

russellmaher

KC1ANC
I took mine to the local UPS Store to be packaged and they sent it out on 29 December 2012.

It came back to me on 30 January 2013. So it took about one month from door to door.

Who knows if the 536HP issues will add to the wait, or maybe those items are being handled by another department at Uniden and won't affect the Repair Dept.

Russell

JamesO

Expect about 1 month turn around. Could be quicker, but Service has CRAP communications. Seems they REFUSE to use e-mail or call you via phone. They even sent me a SNAIL MAIL letter because I had to cancel my credit card at the time the scanner was in for repair. Why they could not pick up the phone or email me?? The the contact info on the form letter they sent went to perpetual voice jail!

Anyway, DOCUMENT ALL your issues, very clearly. Document the serial number and send only the bare minimum. No antenna or charger unless the charger has failed.

Also back up your programming before you send the scanner out for repair, they will likely dump your original programming and send it back with some test programming.

Overall if the communication side worked and they were responsive, I would say the repair process is not bad. But in my case, the only communication I received was SNAIL MAIL for payment that stated if I did not pay within 20 days they would dispose of the scanner. The clock started when they sent the SNAIL MAIL and I could not get in touch with anyone!

K8LEA

Rancehood:

I sent a BCD396XT back for warranty service some months ago. Maybe three weeks.... Goofy setup in that you can check status online, but you need a "code" from them, which I didn't have.... Paul (UPMan) got into the act when I asked him to have somebody check it, and while I don't recall his exact response, he found the radio, and told me that it would be shipped "any day now", and it was....

IAC, don't send the antenna, etc., is good advice. Guess "don't kill a credit card" may also apply :), too. Otherwise, it's sort of "drop it in the mailbox and pray", but I would use an insured shipper, and maybe preferably with tracking (i.e., UPS, FedEx; USPS doesn't track well). "Where's my radio?" calls probably just clog the system, if they're bothering to answer at all, but people will call :D....

End of March may be wishful thinking at this point, unfortunately. If it's working well enough to muddle through, you may want to just wait until you get back. IMHO, service probably won't get any faster or slower unless the new models turn out to be a real mess.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.