Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas is coming to Utah

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD7DDC

Might be worth tuning in some of the Secret Service and other fed stuff. Also, those close enough may want to listen to Grand America.

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas is coming to Utah for a special fireside discussion. The gathering — hosted by the Orrin G. Hatch Foundation — is set for the Grand America Hotel downtown on Friday, March 11, at 7 p.m.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
I’m pretty sure his protective detail would be U S Marshals Service. Wouldn’t most/all of those frequencies be encrypted?

USMS is hit and miss with encryption, even if it is you can still obtain the NAC and UIDs being used that might help to identify unknown freqs or systems in the future. When USSS is in town I monitor (knowing they are 100% E) for just that reason.

KD7DDC

I’m pretty sure his protective detail would be U S Marshals Service. Wouldn’t most/all of those frequencies be encrypted?

Looks like we are both wrong:

They actually have a Supreme Court Police agency. I am guessing they would use some interop channels possibly. Not sure if any or all will be encrypted but that's why it's worth monitoring possible TGs and Freqs today and tonight.

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
Interesting, I wonder if maybe @ChrisP can join this conversation and add any known travel freqs.

While there is a Supreme Court Police force that protects the Supreme Court building and grounds, it looks like the USMS oversees the actual security and protection of Justices. From the FY 2017 USMS performance budget;

Strategy: Explore the development of a risk-based protection for the Supreme Court Judiciary The USMS will pursue a risk-based protection program to ensure standardization and continuity of a comprehensive protection program for Supreme Court Justices similar to that provided to like-federal protectees.

Last edited:

ecps92

The U.S. Supreme Court’s protection is provided by the Supreme Court Police, one of the smallest federal agencies. The force itself numbers about 125 officers, and is led by the Marshal of the United States Supreme Court, though this person has no association with the U.S. Marshals Service. In the history of the position (created in 1867), there have been ten Marshals. By statute, the Marshal is appointed by the Supreme Court and serves at their discretion.

The Supreme Court Police provide personal protection to the Justices at all times. In many ways, their mission, training, and authority is similar to that of the judicial security role of the United States Marshals Service. I would fully expect that a large number of the members of this force have been cross-deputized by the Marshals Service to increase their authority and jurisdiction.

Supreme Court justices only get security protection during domestic trips outside the Washington metropolitan area when they request it.

I would look for the 163.1000 and other travel channels to be used [NIFOG] vs USMS, DSS or USSS

Status
Not open for further replies.