Svalbard

I made a promise to a friend that we would go see the aurora borealis's (the Northern Lights.) This is what happens when talking about a subject stirs up too much interest in it :), --plus she has never seen one.

So where else but above the Arctic Circle would we choose for us to go ?

We decided on a trip to Svalbard- an unincorporated region administered by Norway- about as far north as civilisation goes.
It will be a place I have never seen-- maybe we will even get eaten by a polar bear
............And this week she announced that everything was all arranged--- as she handed back my credit card :) (she ran my office, -and my life, -when I was in Washington - a ace at such things- in contrast to my sorry bumblings.)

So today, a hasty look at what there is in Svalbard ham radio-wise I see there is a 2 metre repeater, the callsign prefix is "JW"- there is even a radio club.

Does anyone have any advice about Svalbard for our visit ? Its primarily to see the auroras but if taking a HT along will be worthwhile, that's what we want to know.

Lauri

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber

I made a promise to a friend that we would go see the aurora borealis's (the Northern Lights.) This is what happens when talking about a subject stirs up too much interest in it :), --plus she has never seen one.

We decided on a trip to Svalbard- an unincorporated region administered by Norway- about as far north as civilisation goes.
It will be a place I have never seen-- maybe we will even get eaten by a polar bear
............And this week she announced that everything was all arranged--- as she handed back my credit card :) (she ran my office, -and my life, -when I was in Washington - a ace at such things- in contrast to my sorry bumblings.)

So today, a hasty look at what there is in Svalbard ham radio-wise I see there is a 2 metre repeater, the callsign prefix is "JW"- there is even a radio club.

Does anyone have any advice about Svalbard for our visit ? Its primarily to see the auroras but if taking a HT along will be worthwhile, that's what we want to know.

Lauri

Wow you're way out of my league Lauri?. As always, we've talked personally, but I can only touch on this through some personal information. The Treaty of 1920? This sounds like a wonderful lifetime trip, but I know you've taken so many lifetime trips. When exactly do you expect Aurora Borealis to be at its highest and most observable and is that when you've booked your trip?

Are we talking about Spitzberen?

spanky15805

Lauri, if you take any more gear then an HT and batteries, pack it in an extra water tight case and don't stuff things in your shoes in your suitcase!

...laugh...

Read TSA flier left in shoe.

"........When exactly do you expect Aurora Borealis to be at its highest and most observable and is that when you've booked your trip? ........"

Bob, we are going after New Year's.... in the heart of the polar night- pitch blackness 24 hours :giggle: ! If there are auroras we will see them.
And yes, Svalbard used to be called Spitzberg (Spitsbergen.) I have been doing a lot of research lately---
........... and the Cecilia Bromdahl's video's were a great suggestion guys :) !

My friend Cindy is running the show with our itinerary-- she has never seen the arctic and has some ambitious ideas- I have to remind her its going to be dark -- very very dark.

I check the CEPT stuff on reciprocal operating a ham radio there and decided that a small 2 metre HT will be going along. While Cindy is out wrestling polar bears I will be in the lodge with it, sitting by a fire.

There should be some interesting experiences to relate ....

Lauri

aurora-borealis-.jpeg

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
Congrats Lauri.. I like exotic, (non tourist trap) holidays. When someone says "I'm going to Cancun this winter". I say.. Oh that's nice.

I'm far enough north that get to see the aurora occasionally, but what I'd like to experience is the 24hr darkness. (Someday I want to try out the 24 hr sunshine as well).

I manged to work JW0A in Svalbard last September on 20 meters. But this was a DXpedition and I don't think there were any local operators. Have a safe trip and ya gotta tell us about it when you get back :)

phask

Premium Subscriber

Lauri

Has always been on my radar as a destination, unfortunately, on the radar is where it will stay, barring a lottery win.

majoco

Stirrer
Did you see the australis borealis when you were at the other end of the globe? Often visible from the south of the South Island making great sweeps of green, orange and blue and absolutely silent. AirNZ do special circular flights at the right time of the year.....10 hours with first class meals and drinks to get back where you started - unfortunately no gurantees!

".......Did you see the australis borealis when you were at the other end of the globe?...."

Actually, no... at least any that were memorable. I was always down there during the Summers, when its daylight 22 hours a day (at McMurdo.) You could see them, but they were always very washed out.

In the Yukon and Alaska it was a different story, and in the winter they are ---

............................................Spectacular !......................................

image.jpg

One thing that does not encourage taking an HF radio with us is that auroras and M/HF radio don't mix well --But there does seem to be a radio club in Longyearbyen, where we will be staying, and maybe if we run across any 2 metre activity we will try to visit the locals.
I have no real agenda- my life seems to run smoother that way :).

Lauri

Last edited:

RFI-EMI-GUY

There are no shortage of Zombie movies staged in the arctic circle. You might want to watch a few to add to the thrill !
1669055514492.png
But back to radio, you might want to bring some sort of long wire and VLF receiver to record the 'spherics while you are there. Also take note if your ears actually detect any strange acoustic sounds.

Back in the 1970' 80s, while living outside Chicago I got to see the Aurora firsthand. The sky was very cloudy unfortunately however, but indeed it all flickered like a huge fluorescent lamp.

Last edited:

I do have one item on the agenda.

Cindy has arrange for us to visit one of the EISCAT radar sites outside ol Longyearbyen.... part of the European Incoherent Scatter Scientific Association**.
EISCAT conducts ionospheric studies with radars... observation on various parameters of the aurora borealis,-- as well as experiments in ionospheric heating using high frequency radio.
.........and having spent a good part of my career with radars, HAARP, auroral and other similar projects--- I can't pass this opportunity up.

It comes with a caveat, however:

"They just might offer you a job" -- Cindy
"....if they do, I am part of the deal too... ! :sneaky: "

svalbard radar.jpg

JW6/Lauri

** Incoherent scattering is a type of scattering phenomenon, a term most commonly used when referring to the scattering of an electromagnetic waves by random fluctuations in gaseos particles--- ie: auroras. --

Last edited:

RFI-EMI-GUY

Or the bar AT most Fridays?

Better to have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Joel
Says Tom Waits!
At the ER, I had to take some powerful meds for kidney stones a few years ago. I was sounding just like Ozzy Osbourne. My feet were three inches from the ground as well. Fixed the pain pretty good.