Svalbard

RFI-EMI-GUY

Visiting Barentsburg is a unique experience. Unfortunately the international tensions today cloud a lot - but like I said before, the Russians treated us with nothing but charm and warmth during our short little visit, and I refuse to enter into anything political.
Cindy's fluent Russian won admiration from the people we met (fortunately for me most spoke some English-- though the universal smile is a language everyone understands-- and I am quite conversant in 'smile.')

View attachment 134660

A visit to Barentsburg in the dead of the polar night leaves a lot to the imagination-- there is not much to see except classic Soviet-era buildings, and everything was in dark shadows.... We made a visit to the Consulate and got neat stamps in our passports. A friendly consular aide offered to accompany us to lunch**... suggesting we go to about the only real restaurant in towne- the Red Bear-- where we were instructed not to miss the local beers from their brewery.

And We Indulged !

We had to try eating everything culturally Russian as suggested by new friend. And she was a font of information about life in the Russian arctic villages.

Anything to recommend Barentsburg ?
The people make it wonderful..... oh, and don't miss the statue of Lenin in the village centre ;).

Next--- A visit to JW3E

Lauri

** later Cindy joked that perhaps she was also FSB

You can be sure the FSB made a detailed report to the Kremlin, complete with a fax of your passports!

majoco

Stirrer
I would think that if you got caught in Barentsburg with one of those James Bond Minox "spy" cameras, they would develop the film for you, just before you were carted off to the salt mines for a permanent holiday!

Laffs !!

Svalbard is indeed an interesting place- with its autonomous Russian coal mining towns --- it all goes back to early day treaty's that divided up the island years ago. For those interested- anyone can live and work there-- no Visa's or work permits required-- plus the lack of meaningful taxes make it quite attractive though the cost of living is high. There is no unemployment, poverty and only an occasional petty crime. You just have to love an arctic clime like 24 hour polar nights :)

Most of the population speaks some, or quite a lot, of English-- and we found no difficulty getting about -- even over in Barentsburg we found English, tho my friend and her Russian really smooth things for us. And as far as Barentsburg went- the Russians were very friendly to us. There is that Consulate that we visited, and since we made an appointment well in advance of our visit we were quite sure they check'd us out thoughly well before-hand. Both our past histories must have been quite entertaining, that is, if we were in dossier's.

But we spent a wonderful day there, and had a lovely informative lunch.

I would not recommend it for a tourist towne, but the people are charming :)

Lauri

1fgkn.jpg

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Laffs !!

Svalbard is indeed an interesting place- with its autonomous Russian coal mining towns --- it all goes back to early day treaty's that divided up the island years ago. For those interested- anyone can live and work there-- no Visa's or work permits required-- plus the lack of meaningful taxes make it quite attractive though the cost of living is high. There is no unemployment, poverty and only an occasional petty crime. You just have to love an arctic clime like 24 hour polar nights :)

Most of the population speaks some, or quite a lot, of English-- and we found no difficulty getting about -- even over in Barentsburg we found English, tho my friend and her Russian really smooth things for us. And as far as Barentsburg went- the Russians were very friendly to us. There is that Consulate that we visited, and since we made an appointment well in advance of our visit we were quite sure they check'd us out thoughly well before-hand. Both our past histories must have been quite entertaining, that is, if we were in dossier's.

But we spent a wonderful day there, and had a lovely informative lunch.

I would not recommend it for a tourist towne, but the people are charming :)

Lauri

View attachment 136806

Oh I have no doubt there were dossier's LOL, sounds like it was a wonderful trip of a lifetime. Understood, it's not known for its sunny beaches and sun bathing 🤭.

majoco

Stirrer
Well.....
Both our past histories must have been quite entertaining, that is, if we were in dossier's.
If you weren't mentioned in the big book before you arrived, you certainly were after you left! I'd check everything - heels of your shoes, that new pair of sunglasses that you bought etc for hidden microphones.

Yes, you did buy a new pair of sunnies......

Attachments

• Lauri 2.jpg
    Lauri 2.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 38