sync problems hf wefax

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhildreth

Small update...

We confirmed it was not from the NWS location this afternoon but troubleshooting continues as there are a bunch of jumps between us and USCG and then to the broadcast. Just want you folks to know we aren't letting this sit

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
This issue has been discussed over on the UDXF group, and it's the general consensus that it's a fault on the USCG end. In fact Chris Smolinski of Black Cat Systems has been in touch with the USCG, and has been told that they are aware of the issue and it's being addressed.

Miker

ericfurn

voip

I am suspecting they are sending the tones to the transmitters over a voip link somewhere, either their own or
most likely a commercial provider. The delays in the sync look a lot like problems I have seen in other attempts to send time critical signals over voip. The problem is when the route changes as it will do over a tcpip path as that is how tcpip works. The latency changes somewhat for different routes giving rise to data sync problems. A better solution would be to send the entire pic file to the remote site and do the encoding there.
Just a thought.

Eric WA3UYI

ericfurn

One other thing...can you tell me when this issue started? We are trying to figure that out to see if either USCG or us did something at the time this started which may have caused the problem.

I am the OP. I noticed the problem in the spring of this year. At first I thought it was computer problem at my end. As of this date the problem still occurs with some of the pics ok, others with jumps. See my posting about possible use of voip causing problem. Just a guess. The pix later in the evening seem better than the ones during the day. Which would make sense if voip is being used as route changes are more common and frequent during busy times of day.
This is a total guess on my part as I have no idea of the path flow from wefax encoder to transmitter.
Eric WA3UYI

mbott

Premium Subscriber
I've been told that fldigi 4.0.11 helped one user clean up some issues he was having.

--
Mike

ericfurn

I use Fldigi, that version. It attempts to resync when phasing jumps, but still pix not good. As the problem is not with the decoding end not much will help. The dedicated fax receivers on board ships and boats also have the problem. This is a serious situation, not just for hobbyists. I notice the problem seems a bit better lately. Yesterday only 6 out of 15 pix showed phase jumps. It's funny, I have been rx wefax for 20 years or so and never had a problem with any of the pix, only poor rx conditions from time to time, noisy and such, until this year.
Eric WA3UYI

ericfurn

uscg info

apparently USCG is on the problem:

NOUS41 KWBC 121335

PNSWSH

Service Change Statement 17-109

National Weather Service Headquarters Silver Spring MD

935 AM EDT Thu Oct 12 2017

To: Subscribers:

-NOAA Weather Wire Service

-Emergency Managers Weather Information Network

-NOAAPORT

Other NWS partners and NWS employees

Chief,Marine,Tropical and Tsunami Services Branch

Subject: Degraded HFFAX Transmissions Effective Immediately

The U.S. Coast Guard is currently experiencing degradation in

image quality of all HFFAX (WEFAX) products. The NWS and Coast

Guard representatives are troubleshooting the problem.

We apologize for the inconvenience.

HFFAX products can be obtained using the NWS' FTPMAIL system.

This is a system where a user can request and receive HFFAX

(WEFAX) products via email. If internet access is available,

go to:

National Weather Service Marine Forecasts - FAQ

to learn how to use the FTPMAIL system.

If internet access is available, HFFAX (WEFAX) products can also

be viewed online at:

Marine Radiofax charts

National Public Information Statements are online at:

NWS Public Information Statements, Service Change Notices, Technical Implementation Notices

NNNN

jhildreth

Myself and then we’re working the issue... we have put in place a short term fix until the re-design is complete. It should have been noticed since Nov 1 that the images are MUCH clearer.

Let me know if there are any issues and we can look into them.

ericfurn

hffax

I have noticed the pix are much better. I got 6 out of 6 this AM, so it is definitely better. Props for the good
work.

Eric Furness

Status
Not open for further replies.