"T.G. Limit Met" What's it mean/ how to avoid

Status
Not open for further replies.

justjack

Premium Subscriber
I've been noodling around a little with my new ARC160 skills (hah) on my RS 162 and I have a question:
So say I open a county for trunked values, and 2 "Sites" come up- one city with x# of channels and one county with y# of channels. From what I read, each "Site" goes in a different bank, FE, city to bank 1, cnty to Bank 2, right so far??
I then go over to the right and select/cull the stuff I want to put on there. Yes??
When I hit the import button Bank 1 will complete the load but bank 2 brings up that I9??) "TG LIMIT MET" I can see the obvious on the screen, but I don't know what this warning is real-world telling me and how , if possible, do you work around it. Thanks, Jack

ERICMYERS

On this radio you only get 100 TGID's (Talk Group ID alpha tags) per bank. You tried to load more than 100 - easy to do on large trunk systems. It will load the first 100 and drop the rest of what you're trying to put in via ARC.

so what you end up doing is prioritizing which TGID's you want (check/uncheck) if you're only going to run one bank for that trunk system.

The alternative is to set up more than one bank for the same trunk system (half in one bank half in another) and scan them both....this is inefficient, but not necessarily that big of a deal.

What I do is run a single bank in OPEN mode with the 100 TGID's i hear most often programmed in - the TGID's that aren't programmed in come across the display as numeric and you hear the transmission (in OPEN mode). In CLOSED bank mode, you'll only see/scan/hear the TGID"s you have programmed in....that's what you do if you go with more than one bank on the same system.

Make sense?
tell us the systems you're trying to program and we might be able to give a better answer.
eric

justjack

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Eric, I get it now , enough to give it a try, anyhow.. Just another ball-dropexample in the RS manual; something that basic-nope.
I'm trying to get Sacramento County cleaned up and running; city and county and I think there's something like 561 TG's. I culled a bunch, but I guess not enough. Is there someway to tell what you've got left to work with in number of banks?

ERICMYERS

Thanks Eric, I get it now , enough to give it a try, anyhow.. Just another ball-dropexample in the RS manual; something that basic-nope.
I'm trying to get Sacramento County cleaned up and running; city and county and I think there's something like 561 TG's. I culled a bunch, but I guess not enough. Is there someway to tell what you've got left to work with in number of banks?

Yeah...that info is on page 56 of the manual actually.

When you start importing in ARC, the default is all TGID's are checked. Down at the bottom right corner you see the xx/100 counter of TGID's it's wanting to try and load. On a system that big, first step is to unselect all, then select what you want until the count hits 100. Load it then build the same system in another bank with 100 different TGID's and so on. (one for police, the next for fire, the next for xx, the next for yy, etc.)

IF having all the TGID's is really critical to you, this is all you can do. I find that a LOT of these larger systems have many Talk Groups that are largely inactive, or completely uninteresting to me.

This radio has 20 banks - each with 50 channel slots and 100 TGID slots (if trunk bank). counting 20 banks is easy - i think where you said banks above you meant TGID - look at the TGID counter while you've got the system prepared for import from RR via ARC but BEFORE actually importing it. That's easy to miss at first, but very important on radios that have these fairly small capacities and bank style memory.

justjack

Premium Subscriber
Got it. I see the info on pg 56, and now it makes sense. I looked at it before and not a clue. I take back my slam on RS, it goes to operator ignorance.
I was kind of using that counter but since I was unaware of the 100 limit It wasn't in play. What about the 2 "sites" (city&County) does it matter where the go or should I just put them in use where they seem applicable (Cnty site=Cnty SO etc)/

ERICMYERS

Build it how you think you want it and run it for a few days. You can always redesign and reprogram. Even when you get pretty good at programming, if you're like most of us, you'll find that tweaking the programming to your personal tastes, radio, location, etc is an ongoing process and part of the fun of the hobby. There's a lot of ways to a set up programming, like scanning sequence, priorities, lockouts, hold times, etc that get tweaked!

I like to name my programming files 'build 1' 'build 2' etc when I do the first load-up and it usually takes 3 or 4 tries with a new radio to get it just right. After that I name the files by their load dates as I make updates over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.