• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

T600 problems and adjustments

Status
Not open for further replies.

engunir

I recently acquired a pair of Motorola T600 TalkAbout HTs, in hopes of using them to communicate with others while camping and hiking (etc.).

Unfortunately, on our first trip out we noticed two significant things: other HTs listening to either of my two T600s noticed a significant difference in audio output, as compared to other HTs; and the range of my two T600 was notably limited, when compared to others' FRS/GMRS HTs. When they turned up their (Rx) volume to where they could hear (Tx from) ours, they got a notable amount of distortion; making them almost unusable.

When I got home, I checked out my T600s against a Radio Service Monitor; and noted two surprising things, while they were transmitting on frequency, they were significantly under-deviating; and there was no detectable output difference between transmitting on High and Low power (even on a channel which allowed for higher power output). To confirm this, we did a local field test of the two (T600) radios; and noted that they could talk to each other; but their range was very short; and it didn't make any difference if we selected High or Low power (even on a channel that allowed High power).

Upon opening one of them, I noted that there are only TWO adjustable devices on the PCBAs (one near a crystal marked YC26.000, the other on the opposite side, near a shielded portion of the radio's electronics); and there was a white (presumably foreign contamination) substance on several portions of both sides of the PCBA. Beyond this substance, there were no other signs that the radios might have been exposed to abnormal conditions. In fact, other than this, the radios still appeared to be new.

I would guess that the adjustment near the crystal might adjust the primary oscillator, controlling input and output frequency; but I haven't fiddled with it to confirm this. I have no initial guess what the other might adjust (perhaps PL tone reference, but perhaps not).

QUESTIONS:
1) Are schematics available for these (T600) radios?
2) Is there any documentation describing radio alignment for the (T600) radios?
3) Does anyone know what the two adjustable devices do?
4) Is there a way to adjust the deviation?
5) Has anyone encountered a similar white substance deposit on the PCBA.

If these were the cheaper type of FRS/GMRS radios, I might be inclined to just toss them and buy another pair; but these cost a bit more then others (enough so that they might be worth at least trying to repair them), and I am concerned that the failure might be a more systemic indication of poor quality in the Motorola design or fabrication.

ANY technical input would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.