Talkaround???

Status
Not open for further replies.

casesoccer12

What is the "talkaround" frequency or talkgroup ID. i agian heard zfd using this what is it??????

W9NES

You might check the old 154.400 frequency for ZFD or 154.220.this is what they were using before going to Safe-t.I still hear Frankfort Fire Department on 154.220."My door is always open" Best Requards, Tim DeLong W9NES

Last edited:

WA9JGB

Premium Subscriber
Talkaround or T/A is commonly used. For example ISP is on the Safe-T system with a T/A frequency of 855.2375 with a PL of 192.8. Some agencies use the T/A to make close simplex communications. If a Fire Dept. is working a fire the Chiefs might switch to there T/A frequency to get off the system. Some of the agencies say go to T/A instead of saying go to Tac. I hear that alot. Hopefully this answers your question.

jerk

casesoccer12 said:
What is the "talkaround" frequency or talkgroup ID. i agian heard zfd using this what is it??????

Talkaround has several meanings. As does TAC
T Talk
A Around
C Channel
But TAC could also be short for Tactical channel.

It does generally mean “talkaround” the repeater. That means usually close in radio traffic of less than 1-2 miles. It means nothing is going through the repeater and usually not being recorded or monitored by dispatch.

It could mean a separate simplex or repeater channel specifically for non-essential or operations type radio traffic.

Some times it’s as simple as flipping a switch which makes that radio transmit on the repeater output channel. So it could be several things depending on how the radios are programmed, channels available, or it could be on a talkgroup within a trunked system.

My radios have both a separate talkaround channel, and a switch to make the repeater out channels a simplex channels instead going through the repeater. Hope this helps.

AL

WA9JGB

Premium Subscriber
newsalan said:
Talkaround has several meanings. As does TAC
T Talk
A Around
C Channel
But TAC could also be short for Tactical channel.

It does generally mean “talkaround” the repeater. That means usually close in radio traffic of less than 1-2 miles. It means nothing is going through the repeater and usually not being recorded or monitored by dispatch.

It could mean a separate simplex or repeater channel specifically for non-essential or operations type radio traffic.

Some times it’s as simple as flipping a switch which makes that radio transmit on the repeater output channel. So it could be several things depending on how the radios are programmed, channels available, or it could be on a talkgroup within a trunked system.

My radios have both a separate talkaround channel, and a switch to make the repeater out channels a simplex channels instead going through the repeater. Hope this helps.

AL

Very well put. I know my HT-1000 has a switch to go to the simplex frequency which is the output of the repeater.

Status
Not open for further replies.