TCAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

spanky15805

Anyone listening for TCAS broadcasts in their area? At some point in the "cloud" are ADS-B and TCAS integrated for the controllers to see?

Guess I should have posted this to aircraft decoding, Feel free to move it, if you can.

andy51edge

Premium Subscriber
What specifically do you mean by TCAS broadcasts? I'm just not sure what data you want to see.

Certainly, the controllers can see a fusion picture propagated by several sources including ADSB.

I think you may be interested in adsbexchange.com

andy51edge

Premium Subscriber
Over simplified, TCAS equiped airplanes will broadcast indiscriminately into the abyss and say "who are you". The other airplane's transponder will reply back with their squawk code and altitude. The TCAS system will observe the direction the reply came from and how long it took, to make a map of where nearby transponder equipped planes are relative to it.

When the TCAS senses a potentially dangerous close approach between it and other planes it will first issue the pilots a "traffic advisory" to the pilots.

When most transport category jets are equipped with TCAS II which provides a "resolution advisory" when needed. The two planes automatically negotiate with each other to give opposite RAs. I.e. one plane will climb and the other will descend.

Also remember that TCAS pre-dates ADSB and works with Mode S transponders talking to planes with mode C or S transponders.

majoco

Stirrer
+1 on what andy51 and wscranston said. The controller uses the ADSB signal return to indicate the aircraft position and altitude, the TCAS equipped aircraft uses the same ADSB signal response to calculate closing speed, direction and altitude and to tell the pilot if any avoidance action is required.

spacellamaman

Anyone listening for TCAS broadcasts in their area? At some point in the "cloud" are ADS-B and TCAS integrated for the controllers to see?

Guess I should have posted this to aircraft decoding, Feel free to move it, if you can.

Dear spanky1580,

We here at radioreference hope that all of the proceeding has been responsive to your question.

If you feel the need to have any further inquiries answered, please don't hesitate to ask.

Answering questions is what we do best!

Sincerely,
The Team

Status
Not open for further replies.