The BC125AT -- initial impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB2GOM

Another cool thing about the BC125AT.

While the manual specifically says "The USB cable will only charge the batteries if the scanner is turned off," if you plug in the USB cable, install the rechargeable batteries, and turn the scanner on (oh, and make sure the switch in the battery compartment is in the right position), the scanner will run just fine without charging the batteries. When you turn the scanner off, it goes back to charging the batteries.

This seems the perfect setup for me while I am running the Commuter Assistance Network on 2 meters. Leave the scanner plugged in, turn it on while I am running the net. Turn it off, and the batteries charge. If I ever need to go mobile, the batteries are topped up and ready to go.

Or am I missing something?

Scan125

This seems the perfect setup for me while I am running the Commuter Assistance Network on 2 meters. Leave the scanner plugged in, turn it on while I am running the net. Turn it off, and the batteries charge. If I ever need to go mobile, the batteries are topped up and ready to go.

Or am I missing something?

No you are not really missing anything other than that the 125 scanner battery charging by USB cable is base ON TIME as set. This can be set up to 17Hours for 2700mAh batteries. The battery charging circuit does not detect battery charge level and stop charging once the battery is charged. The charging circuit kicks in on connection to a USB supply and will then run for the set time. This can lead to over charging and battery damage.

There are two solutions to this when you have the scanner permanently connected to a PC but not always turned on.

1) Set the charge time to the minimum - 1 Hour

2) Flip the switch in the battery compartment to Alkaline

1) works for most people. 2) can leave you with a flat/low charge battery just when you want to go mobile. This can be true of 1) as well but far less likely to happen.

Scan125 Control Program can easily set battery charge time and display battery charge condition, PLUS, all the other great stuff :)

KB2GOM

No you are not really missing anything other than that the 125 scanner battery charging by USB cable is base ON TIME as set. This can be set up to 17Hours for 2700mAh batteries. The battery charging circuit does not detect battery charge level and stop charging once the battery is charged. The charging circuit kicks in on connection to a USB supply and will then run for the set time. This can lead to over charging and battery damage.

There are two solutions to this when you have the scanner permanently connected to a PC but not always turned on.

1) Set the charge time to the minimum - 1 Hour

2) Flip the switch in the battery compartment to Alkaline

1) works for most people. 2) can leave you with a flat/low charge battery just when you want to go mobile. This can be true of 1) as well but far less likely to happen.

Scan125 Control Program can easily set battery charge time and display battery charge condition, PLUS, all the other great stuff :)

Thanks! Very useful.

jasondeanny

Thanks! Very useful.
One thing I've been doing lately due to the battery charging issue... this works great with an external battery and I have several I use for cell phones. While it's somewhat inconvenient to have an external battery, it at least makes it portable. When I'm just sitting around, I'll simply use it plugged in and remove the batteries that came with the BC125AT and charge them in an external charger.

KB2GOM

One thing I've been doing lately due to the battery charging issue... this works great with an external battery and I have several I use for cell phones. While it's somewhat inconvenient to have an external battery, it at least makes it portable. When I'm just sitting around, I'll simply use it plugged in and remove the batteries that came with the BC125AT and charge them in an external charger.

So you just connect one of the flat packs that might be used to power a cell phone? Cool!

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
You could even remove the belt-clip off the scanner and Velcro it to the power bank. Although I haven't tried it, I have one of these for charging my phone and my wife's iPAD. It would probably run the BC125AT for a week!
Anker PowerCore+ 26800 PD

wbswetnam

I already had a BC125AT, but last year Amazon had it priced very briefly at $83 so I jumped on that price and bought a second one.

Bob1955

A little introduction is in order, I think.

It all started when I was 10. My Dad brought home a Zenith Transoceanic Radio, and I fell in love. The notion that someone could broadcast from South America or Europe and I could hear it in Ohio captured me. Forget all that technical stuff about megahertz and resonant frequencies; radio is pure magic.

Fast forward decades, and I find myself still loving radio and writing about it for PopComm, Monitoring Times, Passport to World Band Radio, and QST.

But I am still a newb when it comes to scanners. Bear that in mind when you read what follows. And, yeah, I did own scanners years ago, in the days before trunking systems, programming via computer, and alphanumeric identifier displays. Frankly, I found the scraps of intercepted audio unhelpful and even annoying.

But now, as I continue to run the Commuter Assistance Network on 2 meter ham radio in the Capital District of Upstate New York, I thought that monitoring area first responders might be a useful addition to the information provided by hams on the net.

A friend programmed my Uniden BCD396T for me. I find it to be a powerful and treacherous tool. Powerful because I can bring up each of the local counties as separate units so I can monitor only those areas I want to monitor, and treacherous because (it seems to me) it is waaaaay too easy to invoke commands that I don’t know how to turn off, necessitating resetting the entire scanner and reloading everything. So I use the BCD396T very carefully.

Lately another ham, N2SQO, has been helping with the Commuter Assistance Network. And he mentioned that he runs a separate scanner simply to monitor ham radio frequencies in the area. That seemed like a good idea to me. He also mentioned monitoring air frequencies, and that sounded like fun. So I ordered a returned Uniden BC125AT from Amazon, and that’s where these initial impressions actually begin.

The BC125AT arrived safely, and my first impression is that the fit and finish is very similar to my BCD396T.

I mounted a Diamond RH77CA to the antenna connector, popped in a couple of AA alkaline batteries, and the 125 immediately began playing the local weather radio. Hmmm, I thought, maybe the previous owner (remember this was a returned radio) had invoked a weather scan before he decided to return it. In addition, Close Call had been invoked, and it was interrupting the weather radio every two seconds.

Using the included USB cable, I connected the 125 to the Bearcat BC125AT_SS software that I had downloaded from Uniden and took a look at what had been programmed into the scanning banks. There were a bunch of frequencies, including weather frequencies, that had been programmed into Bank 1. No wonder this person had returned the radio; they had probably gotten frustrated because they were doing the same goofy stuff that I had been doing years ago with my first scanners, that is, throwing everything into one bank and hoping it works out.

While I was waiting for the 125 to arrive, I had created a file, using the Bearcat BC125AT_SS software, of the frequencies that I wanted to scan. But this time I was smarter . . . I grouped them according to category. So Bank 1 is State Police, Bank 2 is local aviation, Bank 3 is marine and an air emergency frequency, Bank 4 is national emergency frequencies, and Bank 5 is ham radio.

There was one cause for concern in the whole programming process, and that was when I clicked the “upload to scanner” command, and an alert was displayed that this “would erase everything on the scanner.” I swallowed hard and told it to proceed.

A couple of minutes later I found that it did, indeed, wipe out everything in the memory bands, but it did not erase the Service Search databanks or the weather channels stored elsewhere in the 125 . . . and that’s good news.

The operating scheme for the 125 is really simple and pretty intuitive. If you want to scan Bank 1, press SCAN and then 1 on the keypad. If you also want to scan Bank 2, press 2. In SCAN mode, you can simply turn banks on and off by pressing the corresponding number on the keypad. If you want to do a service search of pre-stored frequencies, press Func and Srch and then use the keypad to turn on or off various service searches such as Railroad, Aviation, and so forth. It’s simple, easy, and doesn’t seem to have any hidden traps. I haven’t used any other features of the BC125AT yet.

The receive performance of the BC125AT seems at least as good as the BCD396T and perhaps better on the civilian and military air bands.

Bottom line, I like it, and so far, I would recommend the BC125AT.

Note: I found the manual for the BC125AT clearly written and easy to follow. That is not the case with the manual for the BCD396T.
KB2QOM- Hi, I'm in Lower NY State-Westchester County and read your fantastic posting.
I had owned a BC-125AT and sold it last year and purchased a Bearcat BCD-996P2 in its place. The handheld version is the BCD-325P2 that looks just like it but has digital Phase 1/2with trunking/alpha tagging,ctcss,dcs and more. That is a MUCH better investment then the analog scanner you bought but I'm happy to try to help you program it as I have the Uniden file on my computer for that scanner and also the BCD-325P2/BCD-996P2. You also should update the firmware on your handheld. The Diamond RH-77CA is a GREAT antenna and pulls in everything. I see you are in the Albany (Capitol District) of NY and also the old BCD-396T was made really well too. It only has Phase 1 though.
Stay safe.
Bob (KB2GQK)

Bob1955

I already had a BC125AT, but last year Amazon had it priced very briefly at $83 so I jumped on that price and bought a second one.
wbswetnam-Yes, that was a great price and NOW Amazon has jacked it up much higher. I try to AVOID purchasing ANYTHING from them. It is also due to supply and demand and COVID-19 getting parts, ect.
That is PROBABLY the best analog/conventional handheld scanner available now. All you need to do is get rid of the stock antenna and buy a Diamond RH-77CA, also (2) Panasonic Enloop batteries in AA size. The Chinese ones are junk supplied with ALL Uniden handheld scanners.
Stay safe.

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
I have had my BC125AT with RH-77CA Antenna for many years and would not get rid of it. It is a must have in my radio go bag along with a couple of Uniden digital scanners and my HT Ham radio. When I use it in a vehicle, I hook all my scanners to an outside antenna via a Stridsberg 4 port multicoupler for even better range and clarity. There are still plenty of interesting analog signals out there to listen to and as Bob stated, it is probably the best analog HT scanner out there. I also have the BCT15X analog only for my home shack.

kd1sq

Database Admin
Highwayman - practically all of the hard copy magazines are defunct now. There is a successor to Monitoring Times that is published in PDF format and will cost you $24 a year - The Spectrum Monitor. Very much like MT was.

Look up 'The Spectrum Monitor' go to the web site, take a look and decide for yourself.

(The rise of the internet has had both good and bad effects upon the hobbyist publishing market. On the one hand it has wiped out any number of paper publications, on the other it has made obtaining electronic format publications - from places you'd never otherwise have subscribed to - easy and cheap!)

And the BC125AT is a fine scanner. So long as your needs aren't digital I'd say it's first choice for an all purpose handheld.

Status
Not open for further replies.