The best old time radio scanner???

Status
Not open for further replies.

AB3MT-702

Feed Provider
Bearcat 300

Well I think I'm liking the idea of getting a BC300 and using it for my live stream. I posted this post yesterday morning and yesterday at 3am there was a brand new old stock one sold on Ebay. If I would have known that I would have got that one. Maybe I will wait and see if somebody somewhere out there has another deal like that. I would love to give a vintage scanner like that a chance to prove its self again and be able to be heard by many more people then ever expected 25 years ago.

lakeboatnut

Realistic Scanner

I don't recall the model number, but my first scanner was a 4 channel crystal controlled Realistic scanner I purchased at RS I belive it was on sale or clearance for $99.99 must have been around 86 or 87.

w4esp

Oldies but goodies !

I have 2 regency tuneable receivers, slightly before the scan feature, one is vhf low band and the other is vhf hi band, most interesting there vacuum tube receivers.... (did i mention warm up time?) Some of my favorite memories was visiting radio shack and checking out the new scanners in the show case like the 16 channel with variable scan speed. I miss the days of mounting several huge receivers under the dash, atleast we have remote heads for some of the new stuff, Silly to remember I use to have to stop my 10 speed and change crystals!!! I have to say it was more fun playing with the old stuff !!!! Im enjoying hearing what everyone use to use...

73'
tom w4esp

kb2hpw

Premium Subscriber
"I would say this is the weirdest scanner ever, notice the very discreet color ."

"RadioPics Database - Other Radio Scanners - Memorex TracTec MSB1003"

Scannoculars, yeah very unique! Never heard or seen that before. Must have been marketed toward NASCAR/racing fans? Interesting concept.

Thanks for the link to the rig pix sites. It'l be fun to look up some radios that we used to have. I think we all have had scores of radios in our lives. some of us still do :)

barryadair

Peterson Dual Band Scanner

Does anyone besides me remember the Petersen Dual Band Scanner, this was the first scanner that scanned the 30-50 and the 150-174 range, Petersen was a small company I think it was located in IOWA but not sure, I worked at a electronic dist. in NC and we were the Regency dist. for the southeast, when the Petersen came out we ordered 50 of them, it took about a month to get them and, Mr. Petersen and the engineer that made them delivered them, as it was there first order for the scanners

AB3MT-702

Feed Provider
Bc300

I got my vintage Electra BC300 and it's is now the primary scanner for my feed. The low band receive is at least 4x better then the former scanner. This scanner came with an advertisment which reads the BC300 new in 1981 sold at retail for $549.95.

Attachments

• DSC02991.jpg
    DSC02991.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 6,525

KAM101

I had many of the scanners mentioned here in this thread since the early 70's including the Radio Shack 4 ch crystal radios but the radio that I remember the best was my SBE-12SM, it had a weird photocell optic programming function, I thought it was cutting edge technology at the time, by allowing or blocking the light to go thru the tiny holes on a credit card sized clear piece of plastic, I could program almost anything I needed without crystals.
The setup manual that came with it for programming was huge and bulky...LOL
Sometime later in the 80's I acquired Bearcat BC-210 that worked well for many years but it died about 10 years ago.

Attachments

• SBE_Optiscan_1.jpg
    SBE_Optiscan_1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 5,158
Last edited:

N8RKY

Premium Subscriber
About 20 yrs ago I had a 16 channel Bearcat and a similar Cobra scanner. That old Cobra had one heck of a receiver.

llwade

Premium Subscriber
first scanner I had was back in the late 60's, a 4-ch regency with crystals. I enjoyed it but I think I had more fun with the tuneable lowband receiver I had. State Police were only on low band and with the antenna I had on the roof I was able to receive all dists on a good night. I cant remember the model number but a unique scanner I had, used "combs" for crystals. broke out teeth to get a specefic frequency.

jmp883

My first scanner was a Regency ACT-C4HLU 4-channel crystal-controlled radio. I got it for my 18th birthday back in 1982 and it opened the world of radios and scanning to me.

It does seem to receive the VHF-Lo band much better than any of my newer radios can. I also like the deep and rich audio from the speaker in comparison to my newer radios. I still have the Regency on every day since there are several VHF-Lo frequencies still in use in my area.

My Regency still looks brand-new and out-of-the-box even after all these years....I'll never part with this radio :D.

ckqualls

Premium Subscriber
My first scanner in the 1970's was a Regency Touch K100 (10 channels). First handheld was a Realistic Pro-30. My favorite, however (and I still have and use this one for aircraft) was a Realistic Pro-2004. Cut the (diode, I believe) to "revive" the cellular band. Back then, when everything was analog, it was great fun to listen on a guy talking to his wife, then hang up and talk to his girlfriend!

DPD1

Oldest one I still have is the 100xlt. But I remember a lot of these. The old crystal ones are cool. Kind of funny that crystal scanner over 35 years old will stick pick stuff up off the air, but a 10 year old TV won't.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
I liked the Bearcat Electra III. I think it was the flashing lights as it scanned channels that I liked the best. The contrast of the big white speaker over the black faceplate was cool too.
Todd

Sent from my DROIDX

Status
Not open for further replies.