The best old time radio scanner???

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
WIDE band radio

I remember mine as being the patrolman mini, 9 volt batt. and tuneable. I knew where the P.D. and Sheriff's office were on the dial, I would sit and tune back and forth. I guess that made it my first scanner

My first couple of scanners were Shack tunables (we're talking about 1965-70 here), The kind that had AM/FM/SW and VHF Lo and Hi. They had such a wide recieve, I could recieve the five different frequencies I wanted to hear (from 154.22 to 155.70) without touching the dial.

I think my favorite was my first handheld. It was a Bearcat or Uniden I think, it had 4 crystals in it, the antenna was a mini audio jack. Like the Shack tunables, I have NO idea what the model numbers of the first four or five scanners I had. My first programmable was a Regency 10 channel, 12VDC only. Every once in a while, I'll see a marine two-way radio that looks exactly like it at a swap. The first radio I can remember the make AND model was the Bearcat 100. For quite the while, that big brick was velcro'd to the transmission hump in my car. (about 30-35 years ago we are talking here).

Last edited:

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
WOW what great memories!!! Before scanners, I had a Lafayette Mobile that was tunable with one crystal slot...and a couple of Hallicrafters tube receivers with the big round dial. That one sat on TX DPS 42.90 for years...the receiver was broad enough I could hear the mobiles on 42.74 if they were within a few miles of the house. I had the aircraft version of the Bearcat III...what a great radio. My BC101 still works around here but probably my all time favorite was the RS Pro-2006!

newsnick175

Premium Subscriber
Had a Regency 8 channel and a early Electra Bearcat, but the best was the Sonar Scan VHF Hi/Lo + UHF! 10 channels 3 bands. Also the first radio with PLs: Relm HS and MS 200. 200 channels 50 PL tones and Alpha tags!

gmt0000

Premium Subscriber
My first scanner was an EF Johnson 8ch Low/High band scanner. Loved the Viking!! Then my local Sheriff's office moved to UHF, and I saved up and purchased the new Regency Z10...10channels programmable...

ipfd320

Banned
my first scanner was a rs 4 ch. crystal hand held-then it was a bearcat 2--i still use a fannon scanfare 8 ch crystal set for fdny and noaa weather still works excellent,along with a 1968 fd low band plectron still works q-5---plus a few assorted scanners still packed away.......i love ny hobbie......73,s

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Oh my, the Plectron was the receiver I lusted after as a kid. I had completely forgotten about it. I now remember I had two FEDERAL TEN-TEN radios. Billed as portable, they were two channel, and I THINK they scanned between the two channels. I might be wrong about that, so they might not be REAL scanners. But they sat on my bookcase and started this whole hobby for me!

Eugene

My first true scanners (non-VFO) were the PRO series....6, 10, 16-A, 20, 21 & 24 (non aircraft). Then came the Bearcat series of programmable 16 channel scanners. Then back to the shack, culminating with the 2006 which I still have. Man talk about the good old days. Wish I still had some of them.

FLA2760

My PRO 2006 is the oldest one I have and it is VERY sensitive. It often is receiving traffic when my newer ones remain silent. My PRO 164 although not an old time scanner is the second most sensitive one I have.

reedeb

My very first was when I joined the Fire dept in my home town I recieve a Plectron. A simple redbox with a wire anenna Only rfecived ONE frequency [154.190] BUT that frequency was very busy Southern maine and NH [roughly 50+ departments on it] This was in 1978'
My very first scanner I got was a Sears 4r channel portable and have gotten several others thru the years.

My best and favorite was a Fanon-Courier M8 HLU 8 channel mobile scanner I had from 1986 till it died in 2008, I still have 2 containers of crystals for that one and others I had

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I can remember owning a Bearcat 250. If you ever wanted to warm your feet, this scanner would do the trick.

zzdiesel

My first programmable was the Regency with the yellow & blue buttons. My first crystal type was the 10 channel Regency that you moved the wires according to the band you needed.

trap5858

Premium Subscriber
I think the most sensitive scanner I had ever owned was the bearcat 100 or 101, can't remember what the number was but it was the one with the dip switches and the programming code book. I also had a crystal controlled Tennelec back in the mid 70's. Everything was loud and clear on that.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
That is the BC101 with the long row of 16 switches. Mine still sits on my workbench and works great...yes sensitive and INCREDIBLY lout audio. But that is good over the sound of saws and the like. I still have the programming book and stock antenna. I saw two in a small electronics store in OK several years ago, and bought them both for $50. Gave them to friends and those too work great.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Scanner

I saw this at a Flea Markey today....

The file didn't load...Bummer

Last edited:

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Flea Market Scanner

Flea Market scanner get it while it's there... lol....Should I buy this to replace my Uniden 996XT??? j/k guys

Last edited:
My first scanner was the Realistic Patrolman 4A using four crystals. I've been hooked ever since. While I don't claim they are the best, my current old-timers are the Uniden Bearcat BC210XLT and the RadioShack PRO-2004. They both run 7/24, listening to aircraft, ham and a little CHP. I never cared for the 210's plug-in antenna, which was always coming loose. Modded it with an Amphenol panel mount BNC and have never regretted the change. I still have the original hardware, just in case.

BNC.jpg

Signal45

Premium Subscriber
Signal45

My first receiver was the Radio Shack/ Realistic Pro-21 crystal scanner, 4 channel with the rubber ant. I would stare at the LEDS at night....still listen to it today on our county fire freq. All the ohter agencies have moved on to the 800 freq (s). To the simple times!!

Status
Not open for further replies.