The Choyong LC90 is it all YouTube reviewer hype? (Anyone here actually used one?)

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
Sometimes it's hard for me to trust YouTube reviewers" of new radios. It's one thing to talk about all the fancy features and what the radio claims to do, it's quite another to know how well it actually receives, selectivity, sensitivity, birdies, battery life, etc.

So, my question here is... HAS ANYONE HERE ACTUALLY USED ONE? If so, what did YOU think, because some YouTube guy saying something like, "It's the best radio I've ever reviewed" leaves me thinking BS, because there are a LOT of radios out there in the big, wide world and the Amazon feedback seems to make the one reviewer online look like a liar...

BS.PNG

ditto1958

I’ve just finished shopping for a radio, so I’ve read a lot of reviews. I think my reaction to at least one headline, The Best Radio I’ve Ever Reviewed was that’s prolly nonsense. I’d like to hear more about it from actual users.

ditto1958

I’ve just finished shopping for a radio, so I’ve read a lot of reviews. I think my reaction to at least one headline, The Best Radio I’ve Ever Reviewed was that’s prolly nonsense. I’d like to hear more about it from actual users.
I do have to add that the feature it has where you have an Internet “radio” integrated into your multi band radio is interesting.

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I do have to add that the feature it has where you have an Internet “radio” integrated into your multi band radio is interesting.

Yeah but my PC and cell phone can do that already. Also, I dunno if I need a tinfoil hat, but I'd be leery typing in my internet router credentials into anything made and imported from China. I don't trust those Commie Ba*turds as far as I can throw them.

Boombox

Yeah but my PC and cell phone can do that already. Also, I dunno if I need a tinfoil hat, but I'd be leery typing in my internet router credentials into anything made and imported from China. I don't trust those Commie Ba*turds as far as I can throw them.
Being that your laptop, phone, and router are already probably made in China, isn't fear a bit on the overkill side?

ditto1958

My biggest reason to pass on this one is that its main feature- internet radio- will likely soon become obsolete and likely won’t work. Computers and the internet are always changing. Then you’re left with a radio that still works as a radio, but not an internet radio.

Boombox

There's a guy on the Shortwave subreddit that may have one of these AM-FM-SW-Internet radios. If it's the same radio, he likes it. He even posted a couple vids of it working.

devicelab

Whacker Extraordinaire
The LC90 doesn't support the complete HF band -- which is a deal breaker for me; however, the unit does have WiFi and offers firmware updates. The maker is actively making fixes and taking suggestions to make the unit better -- which is a plus.

If they eventually add support for the full HF band then (and only then) I might take a look at it. I don't know if it's a hardware or software limitation though.

jmayson

Database Admin
I have one. I like it. I'm not sure how to quantify performance other than compare it to other receivers I own, but I can hear signals that don't otherwise come in on my cheap (< $100) receivers. I don't own a communications grade receiver and I'm using the telescopic antenna. The Wi-Fi and streaming is a plus for me.