• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

The Joys of Commercial Licensing

Status
Not open for further replies.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
If you are not happy with PCIA use a different coordinator. Business channels are not so locked in for coordinators as Public Safety. In all the years of doing business with PCIA I only had one problem which was corrected almost immediately. Funny how things happen, they took inside information from me and licensed someone else on that T channel. The FCC wasn't very happy with them for quite a while. They went nuts for weeks trying to correct their misdeed. I didn't end up with that T channel which was totally clear, but one that was almost clear. Still using it now 25 years later.
Going back to what I posted earlier, do the research, and provide the information in a form that is trace able to PCIA.

KC8QVO

We're off to a really great start with PCIA. I just talked to the guy over there and hes willing to work with us to make things right.

FB8 needs two frequencies at the same location to be eligeable, so we don't qualify. However, we are going to try and slip in to a primary allocation so at least we'll be out of secondary service. It won't eliminate running in to a problem later down the road but at least being a primary we won't have to suck up everything as if we were a secondary.

I will get some more details here in a bit. This looks like it might be a lot more fun now rather than a head-banging session like it has been. I like messing with RF, but not when it is a constant can of worms.

Baylink

Premium Subscriber
it's good to hear that jim202 had the same reaction as me: what, exactly, is it that you're paying that coordinator for?

Cause it seems to *me* that this is precisely what you were paying them to avoid, unless someone (and by "someone" here, I mean "the frequency coordinator") doesn't understand how this is supposed to work.

(Ok, maybe I really meant "me". :)

W2NJS

Steve,

It seems to me that if you and your group are having these RF problems with the systems then most of the other dealers who sell the Deere system must be having the same or similar problems. In that case doesn't it seem logical that Deere bears some responsibility for figuring out some answers to the coverage problems you are encountering? The world of coordination and channel availability being what it is (i.e., much less than perfect and likely to remain so), it sounds to me as if the method of data transmission is the real culprit in that it can't operate reliably in the RF environment where it's located. In FM analog work we have the advantage of the fact that the strongest signal will "capture" the channel, unless both signals are nearly equal in strength, and we use PL and DPL to "lock out" the unwanted stuff, but again that's all modulated radio and not data transmission, so maybe as a start you should be operating someplace such as 510 mHz if you can get licensed up there instead of in the area where the golf courses, GMRS'ers, power companies, and taxis now operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.