Thinking of buying the BCD436HP upgrade, but I have one question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jakes_tornado

Hello People,

I was considering buying the UNIDEN BCD436HP EDACS ProVoice upgrade for my scanner. I live in Kaneohe, Hawaii and our police/fire/EMS uses edacs Provoice encoded radios. I was wondering with this new upgrade, will I be able to listen to them? Or will I have to wait for EDACS to release their secret code. I hope to either upgrade my BCD436HP or start to count my blessings.

Thanks,
Jake

SOFA_KING

I think the question is if your system in Hawaii is encrypted or not. Best to ask this question in the Hawaii Regional Radio Discussion Forum here on Radio Reference (down near the bottom of the forums). I'm sure they will know the answer.

Provoice here on the Florida SLERS system is mostly encrypted, but there are a few things, such as fire departments, that are not. I do listen, and do enjoy the Provoice upgrade.

Phil

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I think the question is if your system in Hawaii is encrypted or not. Best to ask this question in the Hawaii Regional Radio Discussion Forum here on Radio Reference (down near the bottom of the forums). I'm sure they will know the answer.

Provoice here on the Florida SLERS system is mostly encrypted, but there are a few things, such as fire departments, that are not. I do listen, and do enjoy the Provoice upgrade.

Phil
There is one audio feed online for Honolulu
Honolulu County Hawaii Live Audio Feeds

Since Police & Fire are both on the feed, and listed as ProVoice, they may not be using full time encryption. As Sofa King noted, someone in the Hawaii forum may have more details available.

jakes_tornado

Phil

Alright! well, as you can see, I joined literally on the 1st of Jan, so I am not very familiar with this place. Would you please link me to that discussion?

Thanks a whole lot!
Jake

rwwheat

Premium Subscriber
Waldheim, LA USA (St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana US
Honolulu County Public Safety System

Taking a look at the RadioReference.com Database (last updated 07/19/2015), Honolulu County Public Safety System, EDACS Networked Standard, ProVoice and Analog, the system Talk Groups are listed as either "A" Analog or "D" Digital. None are listed as "E" Encrypted. Kaneohe is part of Honolulu County and uses their Public Safety System for communications.

Quoting from the RadioReference.com Wiki regarding the Honolulu County Public Safety System:

"Apart from using an actual ProVoice capable radio, this mode can be received by;
The Uniden BCD436HP with version 1.10.02 firmware (or better)
BCD436HP Firmware Update
The Uniden BCD536HP with version 1.10.02 firmware (or better)
BCD536HP Firmware Update
DSD or DSDPlus using a discriminator-tapped scanner or Software Defined Radio (SDR). See the bottom of the DSD article for known working setups.."

jakes_tornado

Taking a look at the RadioReference.com Database (last updated 07/19/2015), Honolulu County Public Safety System, EDACS Networked Standard, ProVoice and Analog, the system Talk Groups are listed as either "A" Analog or "D" Digital. None are listed as "E" Encrypted. Kaneohe is part of Honolulu County and uses their Public Safety System for communications.

Quoting from the RadioReference.com Wiki regarding the Honolulu County Public Safety System:

"Apart from using an actual ProVoice capable radio, this mode can be received by;
The Uniden BCD436HP with version 1.10.02 firmware (or better)
BCD436HP Firmware Update
The Uniden BCD536HP with version 1.10.02 firmware (or better)
BCD536HP Firmware Update
DSD or DSDPlus using a discriminator-tapped scanner or Software Defined Radio (SDR). See the bottom of the DSD article for known working setups.."

So what you are saying is that all I have to do is update my scanner? I don't need this $50 upgrade? If so, that would be great!

SCPD

QRT
Last I vacationed to Hawaii I recall they were going to eventually go to phase 2 and 1 700mhz joining the islands together. Just fwiw. When that happens is good guess.

rwwheat

Premium Subscriber
Waldheim, LA USA (St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana US
BCH436HP ProVoice

Last I vacationed to Hawaii I recall they were going to eventually go to phase 2 and 1 700mhz joining the islands together. Just fwiw. When that happens is good guess.

You will need the ProVoice upgrade.

Buy the radio. Do the firmware updates. If needed, purchase the ProVoice license/upgrade.

When and if they upgrade their system to P25 phase 2 you will still be able to monitor unless they choose to encrypt.

Last edited:

Sybex7254

Don't hold you breath waiting for this to happen. Things happen on "Hawaii Time" here! The Hawaii Islands Regional Interoperability Network (HIRIN) has been up and running for some time now and I've never heard a peep on it. But yes the plan is for each major Island to upgrade to P25 TRS' and have the ability communicate inter-island.

Status
Not open for further replies.